Non DP helmet interior

For modifying the Don Post helmet, adding the extras for a Crimson Empire helmet, as well as painting, padding, speakers, fans, etc.

TK9115
TKID: 0

Non DP helmet interior

Post by TK9115 »

Now the external side of the build is almost complete I've been truning my attention to the inside of my lid.

What have people got inside their lids for comfort? I'm putting a couple of fans in but am not convicned the right position so would welcome any pics of others interiors and what you done.

Cheers :trsuit:
Craig

Craig 'TK9115' Johnson
UKG Royal Guard Armourer

'Loyalty Never Dies!'

Darth Skellington
TKID: 5932

Re: Non DP helmet interior

Post by Darth Skellington »

Yes, I would be interested to hear about padding and colling techniques as well.

FYI, my South American helmet came with some padding, that the dealers sell separately on eBay for about $30 (might also be available in Don Post size). I don't think I will be using it (but I will be keeping it), it serves its purpose. It consists of a helmet shaped "executioner's hood", and a small "beret-shaped" pad that velcroes to the top of the hood. This does make the SA helmet sit nicely on your head. However, I find that the hood is hot and constricts your air flow. I have a gap in my visor so I don't have fogging issues to speak of (I know some people like to bear balaclavas to reduce fogging and moisutre issues). However, I do think I might add some velcro to the top of my helmet so I can use the "beret-shaped" padding.

I would like to add a couple fans at some point, maybe some padding at the shoulders or elsewhere to keep it sitting right and comfortably. I might also want to add earpieces so I can hear outside the helmet, not sure if I want myself on a mic. I don't have robes yet, so I'll have to wait until those are done to worry about other padding issues.
Warren Jacobsen - TR-5932
I am the who when you call -- who's there?
I am the wind blowing through your hair.

tavrikgannon

Post by tavrikgannon »

I still have yet to figure where to put a fan in the helmet. I have been tinkering around with the idea of building some sort of fan box and running a hose up into the helmet to circulate air that way.

Of course I also tinkered with the idea of having something like a snorkel setup, so the when I am breathing the air - have a tube go down the helmet and under the robe, where nobody will see it.

Lucious pointed out that I wouldn't be able to talk... but then again, aren't guards supposed to be the strong silent types?

- Bill

Ang
Former DL
TKID: 6624

Post by Ang »

tavrikgannon wrote:I still have yet to figure where to put a fan in the helmet. I have been tinkering around with the idea of building some sort of fan box and running a hose up into the helmet to circulate air that way.

Of course I also tinkered with the idea of having something like a snorkel setup, so the when I am breathing the air - have a tube go down the helmet and under the robe, where nobody will see it.

Lucious pointed out that I wouldn't be able to talk... but then again, aren't guards supposed to be the strong silent types?

- Bill
Unfortunately there ain't a lot of room to work with in there. I have a resin helmet that's a hand sculpt and very small. Luckily I have a small head, but still, if I attempt to put in a fan, I'd have even less room.

What I did to combat the air flow issue is use a clone-cut visor that gives me vents at the bottom of the helmet visor line with some sneaky application of hot glue. Sabertech (Erik) put a flat visor in for me earlier this year and it was horrible for my visibility in the Boston St. Pat's Parade, which is 4 miles of hell as it is, so we put the clone visor back in.

I'll be happy to take pics if anyone would like to see it.

tavrikgannon

Post by tavrikgannon »

One of our old members who came back from a long hiatus (something like 3 years) wears a black see-though head sock. There was never a lens that was put in and, unless you were really looking up close, you wouldn't even notice it.

Not entirely accurate, but that certainly is on way to keep from fogging up with condensation....

- Bill

Commander George

Post by Commander George »

What about installing a liner like those found in construction helmets? Has anyone done that? I used one for my Navy Trooper helmet and it worked really well, but I haven't tried it on my RG yet.
Attachments
P1000288.JPG
P1000288.JPG (15.39 KiB) Viewed 10869 times
Commander George
Mexican Garrison

:jax:
"As you said, Kanos... pick up your weapon and FIGHT!"

dominiczou

Post by dominiczou »

tavrikgannon wrote:One of our old members who came back from a long hiatus (something like 3 years) wears a black see-though head sock. There was never a lens that was put in and, unless you were really looking up close, you wouldn't even notice it.

Not entirely accurate, but that certainly is on way to keep from fogging up with condensation....

- Bill
Wonderful idea. I've adapted it for a couple of shots and will be trying it out for a noncanon event to gauge actual heat distribution and sound situation. Basically, using a nomex balaclava worn backwards.

Jedi_Outcast77

Post by Jedi_Outcast77 »

Something like the balaclava would be ok for a non-canon even, unless your CO or GML says otherwise, but unless you want to skip out on the official events you will have to have a visor in your bucket.
The hardhat liner probably won't fit either. Even if you clamped it down to the smallest size it's most likey going to be too big to go inside the helmet. Plus at that point it will be too small to fit on most heads anyway :P.
Lots of people have mentioned making a fan box for under their robes and "piping" the air up into the helmet with tubing. I'd like to see some pics of this too if anyone has some :D.
Mike - 501st NEG IC-7796
Walk Now for Autism Research 2009 - Team Brunco
http://www.freewebs.com/teambrunco

luckyxero

Post by luckyxero »

That's what I did. I took one of those portable battery powered air pumps (for inflatable camping mattresses) and piped the air up to my neck. I put the pump on the back of my belt and ran it up my back to the helmet where it velcro'd in place.

The pump is kind of heavy, but it kept me from fogging up. The only downside is that it's loud. So not good for indoor events, but great for parades.

NoslenLRAc
TKID: 2275

Post by NoslenLRAc »

I just use a Under Armour skull cap. Nothing else.

For fans, I got one velcroed directly below my mouth and it blows air up. Drys the eyes a bit (especially with contacts), but it circulates very well. I have a DP, so there isn't much room, so I have to remove the fan when putting the helmet on and off, but I have enough slack in the wires to keep the battery and switch velcroed in place.

I like the idea of the larger pump pushing cooler air up into the helmet, but concealing the hose would be the issue. Noise and weight, too.

But any type of fan works wonders!
In service of the Emperor,

TR-2275
Carl Nelson (aka Noslen L'Rac)