Ember's Ep3 Robes

The Imperial Royal Guard costume as seen in Revenge of the Sith

dingerbell55

Re: Ember's Ep3 Robes

Post by dingerbell55 »

Ember, awesome job and looks fantastic. I have a couple of questions, How much velvet was used? How long did it take? is there a pattern you used?

I'm in a bit of a sticky situation over here in the UK as nobody seems to make these robes and when I have asked they reckon it will cost about £600, I have seen a a set on ebay for which are custom made for about £300 but I'm concerned I'll get hit by Customs when they arrive.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Marcus
TKID: 3977

Post by Marcus »

Impressive work Ember, they look great!

Ember
TKID: 8623

Post by Ember »

dingerbell55 wrote:Ember, awesome job and looks fantastic. I have a couple of questions, How much velvet was used? How long did it take? is there a pattern you used?

I'm in a bit of a sticky situation over here in the UK as nobody seems to make these robes and when I have asked they reckon it will cost about £600, I have seen a a set on ebay for which are custom made for about £300 but I'm concerned I'll get hit by Customs when they arrive.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Sorry to hear you're not having any luck finding anyone who can help you with your robes.

I made up my own pattern, using a workshirt that fit my commissioner nicely as a base to work from.
Used about 8m of velvet for the outer robe, and it would have taken about 2 weeks of constant work to complete all the fabric components of the robes (I did a lot of hand-sewing on it, and with being quite busy and having a restrictive work space it took me a fair bit longer).

£600 is an absolutely unbelievable quote. All-up, the fabric and extras (cottons, shoulder padding, snaps, etc) would have cost in the vicinity of NZ$260 (Not sure what the costs of the materials in the UK would be?). Anything extra charged would be for labour which would involve patterning, construction, and time.
If you do find anyone in the UK to make them, ask for a cost breakdown before paying for any robes. They should be able to find out the raw material costs for you, so you can find out how much extra they will charge you for labour and time.

Also be very wary of any sets of robes on ebay, there's a seller on there who advertises their robes as '501st', but the robes are clearly not up to spec. If in doubt, post anything you're considering getting here to get advice from the many helpful members :)

LuciousTalvloinne
Former DL
TKID: 4126

Post by LuciousTalvloinne »

Ember wrote: Also be very wary of any sets of robes on ebay, there's a seller on there who advertises their robes as '501st', but the robes are clearly not up to spec. If in doubt, post anything you're considering getting here to get advice from the many helpful members :)
Robes have to be custom tailored. What would fit one person may not fit another.
Lucious Talvloinne TR-4126 (Stephen Davenport)
Costume Referencer 08-09 Detachment XO 09-10 Detachment CO 10-11 Detachment CO 11-12 Detachment XO 12-13 Detachment XO 13-14 Detachment X0 14-15 Detachment Mentor 15-17 Detachment CO 17-18
Owner of Carnor Jax - Captain Argyus - Revenge of the Sith Royal Guard - Force Unleashed Royal Guard

Toddo
TKID: 6647

Post by Toddo »

Also be very wary of any sets of robes on ebay, there's a seller on there who advertises their robes as '501st', but the robes are clearly not up to spec. If in doubt, post anything you're considering getting here to get advice from the many helpful members :)[/quote]

is this the ebay listing you speak of? http://www.ebay.com/itm/251090975250?ss ... 500wt_1202

LuciousTalvloinne
Former DL
TKID: 4126

Post by LuciousTalvloinne »

Its a general statement. A robe that was made for someone 5 foot would not work for someone who was 6 foot
Lucious Talvloinne TR-4126 (Stephen Davenport)
Costume Referencer 08-09 Detachment XO 09-10 Detachment CO 10-11 Detachment CO 11-12 Detachment XO 12-13 Detachment XO 13-14 Detachment X0 14-15 Detachment Mentor 15-17 Detachment CO 17-18
Owner of Carnor Jax - Captain Argyus - Revenge of the Sith Royal Guard - Force Unleashed Royal Guard

Ember

Post by Ember »

Toddo wrote:is this the ebay listing you speak of? http://www.ebay.com/itm/251090975250?ss ... 500wt_1202
That would be them. They say they can adjust the length, but they'd need to customise more than that to have it looking proper. Fabric is wrong, in any case.

swibowoj
TKID: 19715

Post by swibowoj »

Hi Ember,
I know its been a while, I want to know, did you use padding on the shoulders?

Ember

Post by Ember »

Hi there!

Yes, I put shoulder pads in. Just lightweight ones, but enough to nicely smooth out the shoulders.

swibowoj wrote:Hi Ember,
I know its been a while, I want to know, did you use padding on the shoulders?

swibowoj
TKID: 19715

Post by swibowoj »

Thank you Ember..