Ember's Ep3 Robes

The Imperial Royal Guard costume as seen in Revenge of the Sith

Ember
TKID: 8623

Ember's Ep3 Robes

Post by Ember »

Hi all,

As mentioned elsewhere, I'm making up a set of Ep3 Royal Guard robes for a fellow Garrison member.
This thread will document the patterning and creation process of both the outer and inner robes, and if all goes well, I should be able to make the patterns available to others at the end :)

At the moment I'm researching suitable fabric. Seeing as 'Distinctive Fabric' has been mentioned in various places around here, I'll probably use their triple velvet in 'red' - Linkie. Just rather awkward that they don't ship internationally!

As for the lining/ inner robe fabric, I'm contemplating broadcloth from Denver Fabrics Linkie, but I hate ordering fabric without seeing swatches first. that site Has anyone ordered the broadcloth off this site (or any other site for that matter?) I'd be interested to know what shades you used and see photos of it. I'll have a look in the fabric store tomorrow for broadcloth, but one of the main reasons I'm trying to get the fabric online is that it's so expensive to purchase in New Zealand.

I'm also trying to work out the yardage for the various components.
I'm thinking 8 yards for the velvet, and 13 yards for the lining/ inner robe (another 8 for the lining and 5 for the inner robe). How does that compare with what others have used?

Thanks for any tips! :)

stripes
Former DL
TKID: 3676

Re: Ember's Ep3 Robes

Post by stripes »

Not too sure about the fabrics themselves... however on measurements... when I made the second version of my outer cloak we used approx 15m of velveteen for the outside alone... another almost 15m for the lining.... all depends on a. how tall the person is and b. their body build. For me, I'm 6'3" and 250lbs former hockey player and referee... broad shoulders and all... so hope that helps a little...

LuciousTalvloinne
Former DL
TKID: 4126

Post by LuciousTalvloinne »

After talking with my semstress she informed me it was Burgundy Gaberdine.

Hope that helps you out.
Lucious Talvloinne TR-4126 (Stephen Davenport)
Costume Referencer 08-09 Detachment XO 09-10 Detachment CO 10-11 Detachment CO 11-12 Detachment XO 12-13 Detachment XO 13-14 Detachment X0 14-15 Detachment Mentor 15-17 Detachment CO 17-18
Owner of Carnor Jax - Captain Argyus - Revenge of the Sith Royal Guard - Force Unleashed Royal Guard

Ember

Post by Ember »

Thanks for the info! :)

15 metres for the outer robe? Wow, that's got to be heavy...
I'd be interested to know how it's constructed, I've got the mindset that the robe is basically a + shape and that there wouldn't be more than 2 metres of fabric to each point of the cross.

Gabardine is more a weave of fabric than a particular blend (you can get it in wool, cotton, polyester, or a mix of any of those 3 in any ratios), but will keep an eye out thanks :)
It seems that a tightly-woven medium/heavyweight suiting-type fabric is what we're after! :)

stripes
Former DL
TKID: 3676

Post by stripes »

Ember wrote:Thanks for the info! :)

I'd be interested to know how it's constructed, I've got the mindset that the robe is basically a + shape and that there wouldn't be more than 2 metres of fabric to each point of the cross.
Yeah, my cloak is heavier than most people would ever expect it to be.... as for how it's constructed, it's a total of 5 panels, 4 for the back and sides and 1 for the front.... a heavily modified pattern as nothing really exists out there to dictate how to make the outer cloak. I'll find out exactly what pattern we used to modify for you this weekend.

Ember

Post by Ember »

stripes wrote:
Ember wrote:Thanks for the info! :)

Yeah, my cloak is heavier than most people would ever expect it to be.... as for how it's constructed, it's a total of 5 panels, 4 for the back and sides and 1 for the front.... a heavily modified pattern as nothing really exists out there to dictate how to make the outer cloak. I'll find out exactly what pattern we used to modify for you this weekend.
Thanks, that would be much appreciated :)

Ember

Post by Ember »

Well I'm doing 2 full sets of robes now!

Work has started on the underrobes, and today I picked up the velvet outer robe fabric. 24 yards of red triple velvet... so pretty... :P

No photos yet, but I've started patterning and cutting out the underrobes.
The underrobes will have cuffed sleeves, and a short placket in the front, both of which will fasten with small snap closures and be hidden by the gloves/ outer cloak.

School holidays are coming up after Easter, so it'll be good to have the time off to work on this project :)

Ember

Post by Ember »

Progress!

Underrobe is virtually done, minus handstitching of snaps on cuffs and collar.
I'm a bit unsure about the lower half though, a bit concerned that the underrobe may be too restrictive in terms of leg movement.
I've put small splits up either side of the bottom hem to help make walking easier, but that may not be enough.
What shape do people normally have for their underrobe 'skirt'? It's currently a cylindrical shape, but wondering if a cone shape may be better.

As for the outer robe, all the fabric is cut out! All the velvet is so soft and pretty :)
Been tossing up 2 ways of doing the lining - proper 'jacket-like' lining with all the seam allowances hidden in between the lining and the outer layer, or simply 'flatlining' the two layers together.
At this stage I think flatlining will give a much tidier and smoother finished look, even if it means the allowances will be visible when the robe is turned inside out (not that that'll be happening too often!)

Will have a chance to test-fit the (hopefully completed) robes next weekend. :)

Photos soon!

LuciousTalvloinne
Former DL
TKID: 4126

Post by LuciousTalvloinne »

Depending on how Detailed your wanting to go with the EP3 robes...
These would be the only seams you would see.
Lucious Talvloinne TR-4126 (Stephen Davenport)
Costume Referencer 08-09 Detachment XO 09-10 Detachment CO 10-11 Detachment CO 11-12 Detachment XO 12-13 Detachment XO 13-14 Detachment X0 14-15 Detachment Mentor 15-17 Detachment CO 17-18
Owner of Carnor Jax - Captain Argyus - Revenge of the Sith Royal Guard - Force Unleashed Royal Guard

Ember

Post by Ember »

I'm trying to make them as accurate as possible :)
Thanks for those images, they show how much of the sleeve is eased into the shoulders, which is something I've been wondering about.