Condensation

For modifying the Don Post helmet, adding the extras for a Crimson Empire helmet, as well as painting, padding, speakers, fans, etc.

April R
TKID: 5824

Condensation

Post by April R »

I have the abs helmet and I've noticed with the colder weather I get ALOT of condensation inside my helmet. It's bad enough that it drips out of my helmet onto my robes and looks like I'm drooling, very elegant I know. I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if so how did you fix it? I haven't had a chance to get my fans put in yet, which I don't know if that'll help or not, but I don't want to miss any outside troops because of this. Any help would be appreciated!!

JesterTDA
TKID: 9392

Re: Condensation

Post by JesterTDA »

I've done 2 recent cold weather troops. Only 1 did I have condensation issues but that's because it was an outdoor event under a roof (but open sides) and it was raining. It was just as bad as you described. I was happy though to have the opening under my visor to allow some airflow to help.
My last outdoor, cold weather troop I didn't have a single problem. I did add some padding to the top of my helmet so it didn't rest directly upon my shoulders but was rather 1/2" off my robes. You couldn't see it in the pictures but man alive...I had so much airflow I only turned on 1 of my 3 fans and my face was COLD (it was 38 degrees as a high).

LuciousTalvloinne
Former DL
TKID: 4126

Post by LuciousTalvloinne »

I have never seen an ABS version of the helmet. I'm curious to see pictures.
Lucious Talvloinne TR-4126 (Stephen Davenport)
Costume Referencer 08-09 Detachment XO 09-10 Detachment CO 10-11 Detachment CO 11-12 Detachment XO 12-13 Detachment XO 13-14 Detachment X0 14-15 Detachment Mentor 15-17 Detachment CO 17-18
Owner of Carnor Jax - Captain Argyus - Revenge of the Sith Royal Guard - Force Unleashed Royal Guard

Marcus
TKID: 3977

Post by Marcus »

I get the exact same problem.

I have velcroed a 4 by 3 inch peice of toweling inside my bucket where my mouth is positioned.
This captures the mositure and stops it then running down the inside of the bucket, then creating a wet pacth on your chest just under your bucket.
I have a couple of these so that when ever I have a break in trooping I can swap it out for a new one.

If your bucket is fogging up, smear Morning Fresh dishwashing liquid over the inside of it before a troop.
(I know it sounds like BS but it works)

LT, my bucket is a thin ABS. It is super light.

JesterTDA
TKID: 9392

Post by JesterTDA »

Very interesting idea about the towels...I like it!

April R
TKID: 5824

Post by April R »

Thanks for the responses guys. I love the towel idea myself. Gonna try the padding on the shoulders too. Hoping it won't make it set up too high so I can't see out of it lol

Stephen, you see an ABS bucket anytime you see a pic with me in it. Like Marcus said, its very light and has ALOT of room in it

Andrew

Post by Andrew »

You should try using a light weight balaclava, I would suggest a police supply store, or even some of the motorcycle ones, they are actually designed to stop condensation. They basically grab the moisture out of your breath and absorb it into the material, it won't help you too much with fogging, which you can solve with anti-fog fluid, or such. But condensation wise, it should solve your problem, and the beauty of it is that you can purchase them for hot and cold weather, so you could alternate as weather requires.

Andrew