Force Pike Details

tb750
TKID: 750

Force Pike Details

Post by tb750 »

I'm working on my Force Pike for my Royal Guard. I am modifying some plans I found online. What I want to do is ask you, the members your opinion.

For the "spikes" I have two options available. They are pictured here:

IMG_20120101_201535 by imperialarmory, on Flickr

IMG_20120101_201806 by imperialarmory, on Flickr

IMG_20120101_201606 by imperialarmory, on Flickr

OR...

IMG_20120104_022219 by imperialarmory, on Flickr

IMG_20120104_022225 by imperialarmory, on Flickr

Please ignore the emitter tip in the picture above. I am planning on going with something a little more accurate.

MOD: The photos on your garrison page are restricted
Last edited by tb750 on Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

JesterTDA
TKID: 9392

Re: Force Pike Details

Post by JesterTDA »

Need to put the pictures on flickr or photobucket or something like that so we can see them.

That being said...I've become a very big fan of using a ski pole as a great base for a forcepike. They are already aluminum, they are super light, and you can remove the basket (the round disk a few inches from the ground when the pole is used normally) to leave a nice set of rings which look a lot like those of a prequel force pike.
After the removal of the basket you just need to use some shower head/sink parts, some PVC, and a bit of hacker-esq skill to end up with a nice sized, very light, very shiny pike. I need to post some pictures of my new one once I add the spikes for ROTJ. But in the below picture you can see what the pole looks like after the basket has been removed:
I've got aluminum polish waiting to be applied once I tweek the rasps and attach them. Also, the pike ends just off the right side of the screen.

tb750

Post by tb750 »

Okay, fixed the image links. So, back to the spikes. Any suggestions? (Also, I think this should probably be in the ROTJ forum. I accidentally posted it here.)

Also, I'd love to see the tip of the ski pole.

JesterTDA

Post by JesterTDA »

Interesting picts...I'd say the spikes on the second picture are in a better position then the others because it's not right next to the end of the pike, it's father down, but not too far down. I'll take a picture of my ski-pole pike when I get a chance. The tip to the pole is actually a small black cap. It's not large, it's not distracting, but I think it really works.

Darth Skellington
TKID: 5932

Post by Darth Skellington »

I'm kinda liking the spikes in the first option...kinda pyramidal. What are you making them out of and how are they attached?

Also, I can't figure out what the space in between the spikes is? Looks kinda roughed up, but also kinda fabric-y.

Looks like you are on a good track. :)
Warren Jacobsen - TR-5932
I am the who when you call -- who's there?
I am the wind blowing through your hair.

bdgr
TKID: 4468

Post by bdgr »

Out of the two options, I also like the shape or look of the first set, but they need to be further down from the tip end.

bdgr
bdgr
TB/TS/TI/IC/IG/IS/CC/TR/TA/IN/TD 4468

tb750

Post by tb750 »

They're all on the same pike. They're made of resin. The first pics were taken before I looked at the reference and realized they needed to be moved further down on the pike. As for what's between them it's actually double sided tape that I have on there just so that I could check the placement. I plan on using E-6000 when I finally secure them, so the material between the spikes won't be there.

I have been leaning towards the more pyramidal design, but that's primarily because that's the mold I have and it'd be easier for me to make those, but I wanted some feedback here first.

JesterTDA

Post by JesterTDA »

It's REALLY hard to tell what the original rasps were...in fact nobody knows what they actually were because nobody has access to the originals I believe. What you see on tour I think were made for those traveling shows (I remember reading that here somewhere...I wouldn't swear to that in a court of law). I like the pyramid shape, even if it's not what I think I see in the screen caps. Honestly...since nobody knows what they are...and only guards really know those rasps even exist I think you're good so long as you make the effort. That's a personal opinion and in no way carries any weight on approval!!!

Below is the end of my ski-pole forcepike that I'm working on. I'm still finishing up the rasps myself (my first one used small triangles cut out of an electrical box and spray painted gold while on the pike). For reference I'll tell you that the tip to the first raised area is 2.5 inches.

As for the overall pike I'm working on, this is what I've got sans-rasps:

Doc-Girlfriend
TKID: 9693

Post by Doc-Girlfriend »

Hi,

I really don't wanna be one of "those" people but doesn't the ROTS forcepike have a "stacked ring" design ... rather than the spikey thiggy???

I don't ask to be a nit-pickey-bitch , I only ask cos I am building my own forcepike and wanna get it right :D

tb750

Post by tb750 »

tb750 wrote:Okay, fixed the image links. So, back to the spikes. Any suggestions? (Also, I think this should probably be in the ROTJ forum. I accidentally posted it here.)

Also, I'd love to see the tip of the ski pole.
Hi,

I really don't wanna be one of "those" people but doesn't the ROTS forcepike have a "stacked ring" design ... rather than the spikey thiggy???

I don't ask to be a nit-pickey-bitch , I only ask cos I am building my own forcepike and wanna get it right
Yeah, that's why I put the above post in. I've been running this discussion in the ROTJ forum. :D