Pike Spikes...thoughts?

JesterTDA
TKID: 9392

Pike Spikes...thoughts?

Post by JesterTDA »

So I got very limited access to a 3D printer today and did a very quick mockup of some spikes. These are in fact almost see through, the final product would be solid. Before I get to the final (solid) version I wanted some thoughts on the picture below.

As you can see I've placed 2 spikes on my workbench next to my newest pike and I took a picture from overhead. I've added 3 US coins for size comparison. By themselves I thought they looked too little like spikes and just too big. When laid next to the pike though I think they look just about right. I could easily sand them down to make them smaller.

LuciousTalvloinne
Former DL
TKID: 4126

Re: Pike Spikes...thoughts?

Post by LuciousTalvloinne »

I wouldn't trim them too much. The extra you could use to be inset to the top of the pike.
Lucious Talvloinne TR-4126 (Stephen Davenport)
Costume Referencer 08-09 Detachment XO 09-10 Detachment CO 10-11 Detachment CO 11-12 Detachment XO 12-13 Detachment XO 13-14 Detachment X0 14-15 Detachment Mentor 15-17 Detachment CO 17-18
Owner of Carnor Jax - Captain Argyus - Revenge of the Sith Royal Guard - Force Unleashed Royal Guard

bdgr
TKID: 4468

Post by bdgr »

JesterTDA,

You have access to a 3D printer? I'm jealous :)

I haven't seen super clear pictures of the force pike spikes/rasp, but the ones that seem to exist appear to only have 5 spikes versus 6. The base of your prototype spikes appear to be too big if they were directly attached to the base rasp cylinder. How much to trim would really depend on how you were going to attached the spikes to the rasp base. Less if you were creating a grove for them, but more if you were just gluing them top of the rasp base.
bdgr
TB/TS/TI/IC/IG/IS/CC/TR/TA/IN/TD 4468

Darth Skellington
TKID: 5932

Post by Darth Skellington »

Very nice. ROTJ pike rasps are very hard to make look right, and you are definitely on the right track.

I agree with BDGR, in that the spikes should almost attach directly to the shaft, without that spacer in between. Obviously, for practical purposes you need something to keep them all attached. I would consider losing some of the "base" or "spacer".

I'm guessing your pieces measure about 5/8" tall. I'm thinking about 3/8" of mostly spike will be about as accurate as you can get.

Great concept. I'm looking forward to seeing what you go with and how it turns out. :)
Warren Jacobsen - TR-5932
I am the who when you call -- who's there?
I am the wind blowing through your hair.

JesterTDA

Post by JesterTDA »

Yeah...I'd rather have the spikes look more like individual spikes and less like a saw blade glued to the pike. As for how I'm going to attach them. I'm thinking about cutting grooves into the pike (it's a ski pole so it's hollow inside) and slot them into it. But I'm not sure. Heck...my current pike has individual spikes I made by cutting triangles from an electrical box and gluing on but a few have been knocked off in the past year.

As for having access to the 3D printer...well...our campus has one, and I'm friends with the head of the Engineering program and I mentioned what I'd like to do with the printer and he said he'd add a few of my spikes to something else he was working on so it didn't take up any extra time. The guy is such a geek and yet has absoutly ZERO interest in Star Wars...how is that even possible? :)

LuciousTalvloinne
Former DL
TKID: 4126

Post by LuciousTalvloinne »

hmm maybe we should give this guy some other movie prop and put in our stuff too :)
Lucious Talvloinne TR-4126 (Stephen Davenport)
Costume Referencer 08-09 Detachment XO 09-10 Detachment CO 10-11 Detachment CO 11-12 Detachment XO 12-13 Detachment XO 13-14 Detachment X0 14-15 Detachment Mentor 15-17 Detachment CO 17-18
Owner of Carnor Jax - Captain Argyus - Revenge of the Sith Royal Guard - Force Unleashed Royal Guard

JesterTDA

Post by JesterTDA »

Oh trust me...it's been 3 years I've know this engineer...I've bought him many a drinks to get to this point. Had I not been married, and he not be a he I'd have given up long long ago :)