Fiber Glass helmet is to small :(

For modifying the Don Post helmet, adding the extras for a Crimson Empire helmet, as well as painting, padding, speakers, fans, etc.

justincase_2008

Fiber Glass helmet is to small :(

Post by justincase_2008 »

I got a fiberglass helmet made and gave my measurements and was told it will fit no problem. Well it doesn't i have to squeeze my head into it and im afraid ill get stuck one day trying to take it off. I wrote the seller and have yet to hear back so im starting to think of ways to make this work. My eyebrows and check bone get caught on the indents for the front of the mask. I was wondering can i re-shape the mask so it fits and still have it approved? If not im stuck with a costly shelf ornament.

stripes
Former DL
TKID: 3676

Re: Fiber Glass helmet is to small :(

Post by stripes »

The shape of the helmet has to remain consistent with the movies for accuracy. I'm not sure what fiberglass helmet you bought, but reworking one is not a simple task unfortunately. If it is a tight fit, it sounds like it was a re-cast of a Don Post helmet done with fiberglass as the south american made fiberglass helmets are huge in comparison.

justincase_2008

Yeah in the description it said larger then a DP helmet so i would hate to see what a DP size is.

stripes
Former DL

Post by stripes »

where did you get the helmet from?

justincase_2008

Off of ebay. Heard back from the seller late last night after no word for a few days. Seems I either pay to ship it back to the UK or find some one in a local group in need for a helmet. I may try to sand the inside to be thinner maybe it will be just enough for it to fit without leaving a bruise on my eyebrow.

JesterTDA
TKID: 9392

Post by JesterTDA »

Never heard of a maker from the UK. The only fiberglass helmets I've dealt with are from South America and they are massive in comparison to Don Post helmets. Honestly, if we had necks I think we'd look like bobblehead versions of Royal Guards but the lack of a neck saves us completely.

stripes
Former DL

Post by stripes »

JesterTDA wrote:Never heard of a maker from the UK. The only fiberglass helmets I've dealt with are from South America and they are massive in comparison to Don Post helmets. Honestly, if we had necks I think we'd look like bobblehead versions of Royal Guards but the lack of a neck saves us completely.
Agreed. I've never heard of anyone in the UK doing a TR helmet either. The South American ones are huge in comparison to the DP's so I'm leaning more towards a DP recast again...

justincase_2008

I dont think he runs a company just does it at home. The helmet does look great besides some bubbles in the gel coat. I found a local RG that has a SA helmet that is to big so we are talking about a trade.

Kato

Post by Kato »

Hey I just read about what you went through with the UK RG helmet being too small. I too have been looking at some of the international ebay sellers. The two I have come across for helmets are sold by gordyfett out of Brentry Bristol UK and the other is steviebxxx out of Cradley Heath West Midlands UK, well that is the seller name they use. Has anyone else bought from them and should I buy from them or choose someone else.
I know that LT has suggested a seller here in the states by name of cylontrader on Ebay. Just wondering who else is good on making a decent sized fiber glass helmet. That's all for now.

Cybermew3
TKID: 5973

Post by Cybermew3 »

I got my helmet from TPE. They are in Australia but really nice :) some of the guys here recommend the south American made ones as well.

TR - 5973 (ROTJ)
Dylan "Norbitt" Saunders
Redback Garrison
2014 - Sovereign Protectors Detachment Command - PR Team
2018 - Sovereign Protectors Detachment Command - COG