Any Patterns for the Outer Robe???? HELP

The Imperial Royal Guard costume as seen in Return of the Jedi

RedGuard

Any Patterns for the Outer Robe???? HELP

Post by RedGuard »

Need a pattern for the Outer Robe. And about how many yards for it. I'm 6'1. Thanks, any help will greatly be appreciated as the 50% off sale ends tomorrow...
Jeff
aka. RedGuard

Peregrinus

Re: Any Patterns for the Outer Robe???? HELP

Post by Peregrinus »

It's only been a little while since the Detachment message board re-launched. There are very few threads in this section to sift through, and two of the three below this one answer the current state of things with patterns, and how much fabric you'll need.

Please read through the forum to see if your questions are answered already, introduce yourself in the New Memeber secion, and then by all means jump into threads already underway, or start a new one if the subject hasn't yet been broached. :)

--Jonah
"The Royal Guards on the bus go '..., ..., ...; ..., ..., ...; ..., ..., ...'" :tr:

-- Overheard at Celebration IV

stripes
Former DL
TKID: 3676

Post by stripes »

Just to chime in... I've got 8m (a meter being about 1.1 yards). I am almost 6'3" tall and about 250lbs. Hopefully this helps a little.

RedGuard

Post by RedGuard »

Thanks stripes.
And I did read the other forums but I'm not 5'11", also no one has listed a pattern for the robe. There use to be one on the last forum.. I was a member for at least a year or more but It looks like I got lost in the shuffle. Sorry for asking...LOL
Jeff
aka. RedGuard

Peregrinus

Post by Peregrinus »

I'm 6'1". And the pattern I'm working on drafting properly was made for someone taller still. :P I don't remember anyone actually posting an accurate pattern for the ROTJ version of the cape on any of the board's earlier incarnations, and I've been here since the Squall Days back in '01.

And sorry, RedGuard. I saw the question and your post count and missed your name. Gave you the noob treatment. Again, apologies. I'm right now working on scaling the pattern for various rough sizes and bashing the original creator's e-mailed instructions into a proper tutorial. If you can wait, it should be ready before Christmas. If you can't, find an existing cape or cloak pattern out there and do your best to modify it to match the reference material.

--Jonah
"The Royal Guards on the bus go '..., ..., ...; ..., ..., ...; ..., ..., ...'" :tr:

RedGuard

Post by RedGuard »

Peregrinus wrote:I'm 6'1". And the pattern I'm working on drafting properly was made for someone taller still. :P I don't remember anyone actually posting an accurate pattern for the ROTJ version of the cape on any of the board's earlier incarnations, and I've been here since the Squall Days back in '01.

And sorry, RedGuard. I saw the question and your post count and missed your name. Gave you the noob treatment. Again, apologies. I'm right now working on scaling the pattern for various rough sizes and bashing the original creator's e-mailed instructions into a proper tutorial. If you can wait, it should be ready before Christmas. If you can't, find an existing cape or cloak pattern out there and do your best to modify it to match the reference material.

--Jonah
Hey no prob mate.

Yeah, I thought I remembered it kinda being a PS type of drawing of the pieces. But hey I can wait.. Bought all the Velvet material for the inner 6 yards and outer 10 yards for under $100 bucks so when you get it ready send it my way.

Thanks. I'm always a noob :trsuit:
Jeff
aka. RedGuard

RedGuard

Post by RedGuard »

As I originally posted after looking through the only two available . "Any Patterns for the Outer Robe" As no patterns were listed in any of the posts.

Also, belonging to other SW groups and forums having 3 completed costumes. Being an adult 39 yr old with a great wife and two great kids, nice house and good job I don't let things bother me. we all have bad days.

Although Bill I do see what your saying I've never met any of you in person to get a feel for your personalities.

So, of course posting in this format always lends itself to misinterpretations by others less mindful.

Cheers :trsuit:
Jeff
aka. RedGuard

Peregrinus

Post by Peregrinus »

Most effort since '02 has been going into making patterns for the Prequel Guards. And even then, as of 2001 when I first signed onto the Squall (three board incarnations ago), there was exactly one pattern for the ROTJ cape in existence, and she has been MIA since moving from California to Indiana and getting into law school. I have it, currently, and have been tweaking it into proper form.

My last conversation with her on the matter was her telling me she didn't have time to make capes or pattern copies for people any more, and didn't have the time or skills needed to make it into an easily-mailed-out paper pattern with instructions, and if I wanted to tackle it I should feel free to do so. THat was in the Spring of '04. I apologise for taking so long. There followed a move, and the last and worst year of my heath deterioration. I was mostly blind by September of '05, in th ehospital for all of October and half of November, almost died twice, and then spent the next couple years getting myself rebuilt. I'm almost there... *heh* But I'm in better health now than I have been since high school, and gaining on the last few percentage points.

All that to say, I've been a little preoccupied. But once I got everything unpacked again and sorted through, I've been working on the cape pattern once more. I haven't seen any others show up in the intervening years. Just a few inaccurate attempts from a couple different vendors. I've still had interruptions, too. I was out of state for all of August for OtaKon and Dragon*Con, and am again right now. I'm working on the instructions when I can grab a few moment here and there, and I'll be finishing resizing the pattern when I get home. And then that, to the best of my knowledge, will be the first widely-available, hopefully easy-to-make Return of the Jedi Royal Guard cape ever offered. *heh*

--Jonah

RedGuard

Post by RedGuard »

Peregrinus wrote:Most effort since '02 has been going into making patterns for the Prequel Guards. And even then, as of 2001 when I first signed onto the Squall (three board incarnations ago), there was exactly one pattern for the ROTJ cape in existence, and she has been MIA since moving from California to Indiana and getting into law school. I have it, currently, and have been tweaking it into proper form.

My last conversation with her on the matter was her telling me she didn't have time to make capes or pattern copies for people any more, and didn't have the time or skills needed to make it into an easily-mailed-out paper pattern with instructions, and if I wanted to tackle it I should feel free to do so. THat was in the Spring of '04. I apologise for taking so long. There followed a move, and the last and worst year of my heath deterioration. I was mostly blind by September of '05, in th ehospital for all of October and half of November, almost died twice, and then spent the next couple years getting myself rebuilt. I'm almost there... *heh* But I'm in better health now than I have been since high school, and gaining on the last few percentage points.

All that to say, I've been a little preoccupied. But once I got everything unpacked again and sorted through, I've been working on the cape pattern once more. I haven't seen any others show up in the intervening years. Just a few inaccurate attempts from a couple different vendors. I've still had interruptions, too. I was out of state for all of August for OtaKon and Dragon*Con, and am again right now. I'm working on the instructions when I can grab a few moment here and there, and I'll be finishing resizing the pattern when I get home. And then that, to the best of my knowledge, will be the first widely-available, hopefully easy-to-make Return of the Jedi Royal Guard cape ever offered. *heh*

--Jonah

Thanks Jonah, I, if no one else thanks you for all your effort. Since I agree that I have found nothing for this. I have nothing but time.
Jeff
aka. RedGuard

Peregrinus

Post by Peregrinus »

Well, in the mean-time, what else do you have that you can work on for this? Any other pieces left to buy or build? You've got the fabric? Working on your inner tunic yet? :)

Also, I'm going to be including instructions on how to modify the pattern to turn it into a two-slit version of the ROTJ, as the POTF action figure and some of the c.1983 merchandising materials showed. After you make and get approved in your screen-accurate version, if you plan to do a lot of trooping events or conventions, the two-slit version will be much easier to do things in. Just keep your left arm in most of the time and the second slit will be invisible. :)

--Jonah