DH-17 Question

The Imperial Royal Guard costume as seen in Return of the Jedi

stripes
Former DL
TKID: 3676

Re: DH-17 Question

Post by stripes »

TR-2011 wrote:I was being ironic... Hence the smileys!
I can appreciate the humor.... though some people might not and would possibly think you were being serious ;)

Kato

Post by Kato »

Hey so here is an image of the DH-17 nerf blaster that Hasbro has re released. http://www.hasbro.com/starwars/en_US/sh ... 2EE5:en_US
So other than getting rid of the launcher pull back mechanism is there anything else that needs to be modified? Would I need to sand down the blue plastic before spraying it with a primer before spraying matte black paint on the gun.

Also can this be used with the Force Unleashed version of the Red Imperial guard?

TR-2011
TKID: 2011

Post by TR-2011 »

@ Stripes: I'll be more clear then in the future :)

There is a star wars logo that on the left side of the gun that might need to be sanded down, and a holder for two darts on the right side that need to come off. Other than that and the loading arm, it should be an easy go.

Kato

Post by Kato »

Hey It's Tony. Just another question on the Hasbro DH-17 Rebel blaster. After removing the pull back launcher mechanism does one need to put something in that space or is it fine leaving it hollow and just covering up the square hole where the launcher was?

stripes
Former DL

Post by stripes »

You will need to fill in the hole left after cutting the pull back arm off. Leaving it unfilled will destroy the illusion of a real blaster as part of a character stepping off the screen.

TR-2011
TKID: 2011

Post by TR-2011 »

I kept a tiny piece of the arm and put a D-ring in it, so it still works. And looks good.

Kato

Post by Kato »

Hey It's Tony. So I bought the Hasbro rebel DH 17 blaster and now have that modified. I even got the ammo clip on the right side removed but got to file that down more. Here are some pics. The last picture has a plastic hotel room key next to the blaster and I was thinking of cutting out a circle large enough to cover the square hole left by the pull back launcher mechanism. But after reading that there is a d-ring attached I went online and sure enough most pics do show a d-ring. Guess I better fish out the pull back lever from the garbage can. I take it the d-ring is more decorative than functional. I was also thinking of getting one of the holster off of ebay that are sized for the Hasbro toy. The white part of the barrel does that get painted silver or the matte black and can I paint over the orange safety tip on the barrel. Any other suggestions?

LuciousTalvloinne
Former DL
TKID: 4126

Post by LuciousTalvloinne »

The prop should look as close to this as possible. A red leather holster would be preferred.
Lucious Talvloinne TR-4126 (Stephen Davenport)
Costume Referencer 08-09 Detachment XO 09-10 Detachment CO 10-11 Detachment CO 11-12 Detachment XO 12-13 Detachment XO 13-14 Detachment X0 14-15 Detachment Mentor 15-17 Detachment CO 17-18
Owner of Carnor Jax - Captain Argyus - Revenge of the Sith Royal Guard - Force Unleashed Royal Guard

stripes
Former DL

Post by stripes »

Kato wrote:Hey It's Tony. So I bought the Hasbro rebel DH 17 blaster and now have that modified. I even got the ammo clip on the right side removed but got to file that down more. Here are some pics. The last picture has a plastic hotel room key next to the blaster and I was thinking of cutting out a circle large enough to cover the square hole left by the pull back launcher mechanism. But after reading that there is a d-ring attached I went online and sure enough most pics do show a d-ring. Guess I better fish out the pull back lever from the garbage can. I take it the d-ring is more decorative than functional. I was also thinking of getting one of the holster off of ebay that are sized for the Hasbro toy. The white part of the barrel does that get painted silver or the matte black and can I paint over the orange safety tip on the barrel. Any other suggestions?
1. Don't see any pictures...

2. The D ring is purely ornamental

3. As LT said, you need to match the paint job on the actual prop as closely as possible.

4. No, you cannot paint over the orange safety tip. This is what identifies this as a toy/prop and not a real gun

5. Try and avoid Ebay as most things there are far less accurate than those you can source on various forums around the Legion

JesterTDA
TKID: 9392

Post by JesterTDA »

stripes wrote:4. No, you cannot paint over the orange safety tip. This is what identifies this as a toy/prop and not a real gun
Really? I've never seen anybody with an orange safety tip on their weapons...even those which are converted toys. I never thought about it though to be honest so who knows.