Prequel ROTS CRL

The Imperial Royal Guard costume as seen in Revenge of the Sith

Ember
TKID: 8623

Re: Prequel ROTS CRL

Post by Ember »

Hello, I've been asked to make this costume's robes for a fellow Garrison member, but have run into a spot of problems with the CRL.
I've been pouring over exhibit photos of the Ep3 Royal Guard, and can't help feeling the outer cloak lining and inner robe fabric is anything but velvet.

Regarding the outer cloak, the CRL currently says it must be:
Constructed of crimson red velvet or velveteen, fully lined in burgundy or dark purple fabric, also preferably velvet or velveteen that matches the inner robe. Velour and crushed panne velvet are not acceptable.
As for the inner robe, it says:
Velvet/velveteen is recommended for this garment, but velour and crushed panne velvet will not be accepted.
This is where I get confused. Looking at the Episode III Royal Guard photos from the "Star Wars The Exhibition Madrid", there's nothing that in any way shows us the inner robe or outer robe lining is velvet nor anything that resembles it. (Warning - Uber large photo links below)

Image Image
(Photos found here.

The inner robe's sleeve fabric almost has a shot-taffeta look to it. It has a finely ribbed texture which is not typical of velvet, and it has a definite iridescent sheen to it. This is undeniably clear in the high-res versions of the photo.

I'd just like to know if a fabric other than velvet would be approvable seeing as velvet doesn't seem the most accurate choice to begin with, and what fabric others have used for the burgundy lining and inner robes if they've not used velvet.
I can check with other GMLs, but thought it may be better to ask here first and ask those who have made this costume.

Thanks for any help!

LuciousTalvloinne
Former DL
TKID: 4126

Post by LuciousTalvloinne »

Would this be what your asking on ;) Its not really a taffeta but more of a stiff broad cloth

ROTJ had Velvet underrobes
Lucious Talvloinne TR-4126 (Stephen Davenport)
Costume Referencer 08-09 Detachment XO 09-10 Detachment CO 10-11 Detachment CO 11-12 Detachment XO 12-13 Detachment XO 13-14 Detachment X0 14-15 Detachment Mentor 15-17 Detachment CO 17-18
Owner of Carnor Jax - Captain Argyus - Revenge of the Sith Royal Guard - Force Unleashed Royal Guard

Ember
TKID: 8623

Post by Ember »

That definitely looks more like the exhibition images! :)
I'll look into finding broadcloth, thanks a lot!

So is that a typo in the CRL?

LuciousTalvloinne
Former DL

Its a small technicality. Like I said ROTS is the only one that can get a way with that vs. The others.
Costume Referencer 08-09 Detachment XO 09-10 Detachment CO 10-11 Detachment CO 11-12 Detachment XO 12-13 Detachment XO 13-14 Detachment X0 14-15 Detachment Mentor 15-17 Detachment CO 17-18
Owner of Carnor Jax - Captain Argyus - Revenge of the Sith Royal Guard - Force Unleashed Royal Guard

stripes
Former DL
TKID: 3676

Post by stripes »

The CRL's are also in the process of being updated to hopefully catch all of these small differences and have them properly identified.... stay tuned for additional details as the CRL's for each version are completed.

Doc-Girlfriend
TKID: 9693

Post by Doc-Girlfriend »

ARRRRGGGGHHHHHH WHY did we have his discussion 3 months ago ??? ... I JUST finished sewing three layers of velvet together :'(

LuciousTalvloinne
Former DL

Its perfectly ok on the velvet layers. Don't sweat it.

TRShep
TKID: 2101

Post by TRShep »

LuciousTalvloinne wrote:Don't sweat it.
Well you will sweat ;)

stripes
Former DL
TKID: 3676

Post by stripes »

TRShep wrote:
LuciousTalvloinne wrote:Don't sweat it.
Well you will sweat ;)
all too true... remember to stay well hydrated ;)

Doc-Girlfriend
TKID: 9693

Post by Doc-Girlfriend »

Yes... I would like to have a word with the Empire's occupational work and safty officer about the 10 kg of coma inducing velvet they expect me to wear :P I can bear stand for 10 minute let alone "defend" the Emperor.