AOTC build with photos

The Red Senate Guard costume as seen in Attack of the Clones

nolekhan
TKID: 8893

AOTC build with photos

Post by nolekhan »

Just wanted to create a build thread. My pike and better boots are on the way. Originally I mistakenly bought some black ankle boots but have since ordered black jack boots from a seller that someone at the Imperial Officer boards recommended.

I was going to build a pike but I don't have the time or tools so I ordered one and got some awesome deals on the pike and an unpainted helmet with lens.

Painting completed! I used KRYLON Indoor/Outdoor "Ruddy Brown" Primer, KRYLON Indoor/Outdoor Gloss "Cherry Red," and KRYLON Acrylic Crystal Clear "Clear Satin" Finish for the exterior. I also threw some KRYLON Fusion For Plastic "Black" in the interior. The Fusion is more rubbery than normal spray paint and I hope will give some strength as well as limit light within the helmet. Once the paint has set for a week I will glue in either velcro or magnets to hold the lens in place.

I ordered a 15 yard bolt of Red Triple Velvet and a 15 yard bolt of Burgundy Triple Velvet (both with matching thread) from a website for Denver Fabrics. I also went to a fabric shop with my seamstress (dating a fashion designer comes in handy) and bought patterns for the inner robes. McCall's 2339 (Jesus robe) is going to be modified to the required look and some Simplicity 3577 (pajama pants) are going to be modified as well. I kind of gave up on looking for actual Ao Dai patterns in Florida. Soon I'm going to go back and find a pattern for something approaching opera gloves to fit to me. The "obi" she believes she can free style, along with the outer robes based on all the pictures and topics I've pulled from here and saved to my pc. Any extra fabric will go to a helmet bag and maybe a sash or holster belt cover (as has been talked about by others).

For now, pictures!

Here is my helmet looking high and mighty.

Front view

Back view

Inside

Holding the lens in with fingertips

Red and Burgundy - flash makes them look too pink...

Trying to show the comparison between fabric color and helmet color - lighting wasn't the best

Original boots, new ones on the way

Robes to cut short for the under-robe

Some fun pants - easy to make she says

More photos and where I will keep updating with new pics at: http://s41.photobucket.com/albums/e294/ ... R%20build/

Let me know what you think!
South Texas Squad, Star Garrison
AOTC

LuciousTalvloinne
Former DL
TKID: 4126

Re: AOTC build with photos

Post by LuciousTalvloinne »

Good to go man. Skel's got a great How to do on the AOTC robes. Check it out. Colors look good man. Keep us posted.
Lucious Talvloinne TR-4126 (Stephen Davenport)
Costume Referencer 08-09 Detachment XO 09-10 Detachment CO 10-11 Detachment CO 11-12 Detachment XO 12-13 Detachment XO 13-14 Detachment X0 14-15 Detachment Mentor 15-17 Detachment CO 17-18
Owner of Carnor Jax - Captain Argyus - Revenge of the Sith Royal Guard - Force Unleashed Royal Guard

nolekhan

Post by nolekhan »

Made some quick and dirty mesh/screen visors for air flow.

I mean REALLY quick and dirty...

Going to see about making frames NOT made of cardboard...as well as find a second pair of hands to pull the fabric farther apart so it is easier to see through.

EDIT: I have been advised to do THIS instead:

Nonono... Take a piece of actual screen, like window screen, fold it into 3 layers thick. When you fold it don't just fold it 3 perfect times, offset each layer a little to the side or up or down, you dont want all the layers of square holes to line up, you want them to make a tighter mesh. Take a template of your opening and stitch it to the middle of the screen with on stitch onthe middle. Hand sew the layers together about .5-1 inches outside the template all the way around. Take some scissors and trim the piece to like .12-.25 inches outside the stitching. Remove you middle stitch and template, glue or Velcro the visor into the bucket all along the opening.
AOTC

nolekhan

Post by nolekhan »

I was all set to consider myself done except for sewing...then I realized that the Jack Boots I ordered are textured. Going out to the mall this weekend to see if I can find some kind of boot that is flat instead.

Pike is in though and I'm actually daring to hope to be done by next weekend.

Below are photos of the boots:

So these will not be acceptable, correct?

P.S.S. Slight damage to the rim of my helmet. More delays....
AOTC

tkid7248
TKID: 7248

Post by tkid7248 »

nolekhan wrote:Made some quick and dirty mesh/screen visors for air flow.

I mean REALLY quick and dirty...

EDIT: I have been advised to do THIS instead:

Nonono... Take a piece of actual screen, like window screen, fold it into 3 layers thick. When you fold it don't just fold it 3 perfect times, offset each layer a little to the side or up or down, you dont want all the layers of square holes to line up, you want them to make a tighter mesh. Take a template of your opening and stitch it to the middle of the screen with on stitch onthe middle. Hand sew the layers together about .5-1 inches outside the template all the way around. Take some scissors and trim the piece to like .12-.25 inches outside the stitching. Remove you middle stitch and template, glue or Velcro the visor into the bucket all along the opening.
I suspect the concern here is that the soft fabric might not allow as much through-the-fabric airflow as other hard wire mesh designs. Personally, I think you might want to combine that with some sort of fan system to either (a) move hot air away or (b) blow air at you. I wear a Nomex balaclava under the helmet so option (a) may make more sense to me.
TR7248, Singapore Garrison

johno13

Post by johno13 »

Sorry to do the noob thing of necroposting BUT
the texture on the boots can be burnt off ... Get some shoe trees or pack the boot out with wet paper (and I mean pack) so the re solid to prevent them shrinking. Your looking to brown the leather not burn it black (about a second of heat to each are should do)

Then polish the hell out of them,Use the polish tin lid to smooth the leather polish again,Get some tights (pantyhoes in the US i think) make a large sausage shape and use this as a polish off brush to remove the brush marks for a constant black shine.

Hope this helps (Its a technique that was beaten into me from the age of 16 as a boy soldier :D )

And again, Sorry for the Necropost

Edit, try it on the top inside of the boot first to get the idea
DZ7094

"I'm better than that old fossil"

DZ7094

nolekhan

Post by nolekhan »

So my summer was a bit busy working out of town, but my seamstress finished my robes!

Don't worry, the robes don't reach quite so far down as they appear. I was sinking into the grass. They do almost brush the ground though.

Good enough for admission?

I drove down to Celebration V to compare to other TRs:

I'm on the left.

I'm on the right. It seems the front corners of the two "wings" are long, so some changes are being made to the hems.

Let me know what you think!

LuciousTalvloinne
Former DL
TKID: 4126

Post by LuciousTalvloinne »

Where you able to talk to Skel, Warren? Hes got that AOTC robe down really well. as to the point to the \_/ section that hangs down in the front. Very well done guys.
Lucious Talvloinne TR-4126 (Stephen Davenport)
Costume Referencer 08-09 Detachment XO 09-10 Detachment CO 10-11 Detachment CO 11-12 Detachment XO 12-13 Detachment XO 13-14 Detachment X0 14-15 Detachment Mentor 15-17 Detachment CO 17-18
Owner of Carnor Jax - Captain Argyus - Revenge of the Sith Royal Guard - Force Unleashed Royal Guard

TR6386
TKID: 6386

Post by TR6386 »

and that's me on the right....then the left :P

we got cheated on that laser tag thing...I talked to other members of my garrison who got to go play for free...I guess they just didn't like us :(
Makaze Squad - Florida Garrison
"Your tongues can't repel flavor of that magnitude!"

tr7483
TKID: 7483

Post by tr7483 »

Great Job! Nice to see another AOTCer in the mix! :tr:
TR-7483
Carolina Garrison
AOTC Guard- "Phoenix"