Blaster, Holster and ... BALDRIC

The Imperial Royal Guard costume as seen in Revenge of the Sith

tkid7248
TKID: 7248

Blaster, Holster and ... BALDRIC

Post by tkid7248 »

Hi folks,

I've got a couple of related issues to sort out, would like to hear your views on my plan. I'm thinking of making a baldric, comprising one diagonal belt (or two criss-crossing ones) and a horizontal belt. Colour is not a problem (at worst, I'll wrap it with leftover fabric from my inner robe).

Right now, my costume is ROTS and I've just got a resin DH-17. I need a holster plus a sash that can support the blaster, holster, and various things like my external speaker. I'm currently using a fabric sash (with clerical drop cincture!) comprising stiff material wrapped in the same burgundy fabric as the inner robe, as well as a black leather belt to replicate the dark band effect but this will not support the weight of the blaster.

Questions as follows:

1. Would a criss-crossing baldric be accepted?

Reasoning: none, really. But I think a single-diagonal baldric can be accepted since images from the movies only show one "clear" side, so it's possible there's a baldric on the other side (see the ROTJ flasher image).

2. What's the holster colour? Is it standard imperial issue black, Kir Kanos red, or the same burgundy as the inner robe?

3. Can I put the holster on the left instead of the right? I tend to carry my FP on the right.

Reasoning: None LOL. In fact, the movie evidence suggests the opposite but it could well be a question of handedness (see related reasoning below)

4. Can I keep the blaster "smooth" i.e., no cooling vents, and no power pack on the "port" side?

Reasoning: The only two photos I have seen of movie Imperial Navy Troopers show them with blasters holstered on the right. The CE comics are inconsistent on Kir Kanos' holster position but the only meaningful and clear depictions of his holster show it on his right, consistent with movie imperials. The only clear image of a holster on his left is when he's disguised as Kenix Kil and the blaster has the Mauser "broomhandle" pistol grip, possibly a DL-44, definitely not a DH-17. So it's highly plausible that Imperial-issued DH-17s have no power packs. If so, it leads to the inference that cooling vents might also not be necessary.

One of the two images I've seen of Imperial Navy Troopers had the DH-17 drawn, showing no power pack (but the image is kinda small). This ought to establish that for most Imperial purposes, the external power pack is either not needed, or is way flatter than those found on the standard E-11 such that it can be worn flush against the leg when holstered on the right.

It is also possible that Kir Kanos' uniform and armaments might have non-standard amendments that are irrelevant to ROTS Royal Guard costuming (though the choice of DH-17 appears supported based on its use by other RGs). I would also argue that it is possible to say this applies to the cooling vents and the flattish power pack on Kir Kanos' DH-17. Neither is clearly shown in blasters wielded by other RGs.

5. Can I use a black leather belt for the dark band? This will be riveted to the leather sash so that my external speaker and other stuff can be looped under the belt instead of the whole sash.

Reasoning: Currently, none of the three movie CRLs say anything about this dark band.

C&C welcome.

Cheers!
TR7248, Singapore Garrison

LuciousTalvloinne
Former DL
TKID: 4126

Re: Blaster, Holster and ... BALDRIC

Post by LuciousTalvloinne »

tkid7248 wrote:
1. Would a criss-crossing baldric be accepted?
You could do it but it is not really canon. There are pictures of the guards with no outer robe and no baldric is shown
tkid7248 wrote:2. What's the holster colour? Is it standard imperial issue black, Kir Kanos red, or the same burgundy as the inner robe?
You could go either with black or red.
tkid7248 wrote: 3. Can I put the holster on the left instead of the right? I tend to carry my FP on the right.

Blaster holster on the right as you would cross hands over with the weapon. Right is pike hand - Left would be blaster hand

4. Can I keep the blaster "smooth" i.e., no cooling vents, and no power pack on the "port" side?

I think that all depends on the level of detail of the blaster

5. Can I use a black leather belt for the dark band? This will be riveted to the leather sash so that my external speaker and other stuff can be looped under the belt instead of the whole sash.

could you give a visual diagram of what your asking here
C&C welcome.

Cheers![/quote]
Lucious Talvloinne TR-4126 (Stephen Davenport)
Costume Referencer 08-09 Detachment XO 09-10 Detachment CO 10-11 Detachment CO 11-12 Detachment XO 12-13 Detachment XO 13-14 Detachment X0 14-15 Detachment Mentor 15-17 Detachment CO 17-18
Owner of Carnor Jax - Captain Argyus - Revenge of the Sith Royal Guard - Force Unleashed Royal Guard

tkid7248

Post by tkid7248 »

Thanks, DCO! That was prompt!

Okay, here are some responses plus some scribblings I made (the wonders of phone cams and photobucket):

Baldric Generally
LuciousTalvloinne wrote:You could do it but it is not really canon. There are pictures of the guards with no outer robe and no baldric is shown
I suppose so long as the red outer cloak is not lifted and the baldric is kept out of sight, it shouldn't be a problem?

Holster Position
LuciousTalvloinne wrote:Blaster holster on the right as you would cross hands over with the weapon. Right is pike hand - Left would be blaster hand
I'm a tad confused, so here's a picture of a rabbit with a bun ... sorry, a picture of what I had in mind:

Annotations clockwise from 12 o'clock: Blaster on left, FP on right

The alternative is to shift the holster to the right but back to front so my left hand crosses over to grab the forward-facing pistol grip.

Leather belt as dark band, and Speaker in relation to belt
LuciousTalvloinne wrote:could you give a visual diagram of what your asking here

Annotations clockwise from 12 o'clock: Leather Belt, DH-17, Holster, Scope, Band Cincture (Removable), Rivet, Speaker

The belt will be riveted at certain points. The band cincture (more precisely, the cincture drop) is removable - right now it looks OK without the dark band as it looks just like a normal band cincture with drop. The speaker will be located somewhere middle-ish to hide it as much as possible. But then again I'm thinking of adding pouches for the phone, etc., ...

Annotations clockwise from 12 o'clock: Black leather speaker pouch, Belt, Black leather strap looping around belt, Speaker with metal clip, Velcro

The speaker has an off-white housing with a metal clip but also comes with a black leather pouch that has a strap at the back, for looping over a belt.

LuciousTalvloinne
Former DL

With the belt something you could do is take the velvet sash and then run a velvet adjustable mini belt in the middle to hold up the sash. you could also reinforce the section of the sash where the holster would be to keep from sash sag. Something you also could do with the speaker pouch is maybe make a velvet cover to more conceal. Gives it more an aesthetic look to the over all velvet of the guards.
Costume Referencer 08-09 Detachment XO 09-10 Detachment CO 10-11 Detachment CO 11-12 Detachment XO 12-13 Detachment XO 13-14 Detachment X0 14-15 Detachment Mentor 15-17 Detachment CO 17-18
Owner of Carnor Jax - Captain Argyus - Revenge of the Sith Royal Guard - Force Unleashed Royal Guard

tkid7248

Post by tkid7248 »

Thanks Lucious!

I'll probably need a really sturdy material for the main sash as well as dark band, and leather seems the best option (short of plastic which might cut me). These can be bound in suitable fabric to give the correct outward appearance. I'll see what I can do with the speaker pouch - maybe make another one with a better textile. I've got two pairs of burgundy gloves from Customsprops and one of them is getting really natty ... maybe I could use the raw underside of the leather. Looks quite velvety, eh. (=

BTW, could I confirm the holster position is as indicated in the drawing?

LuciousTalvloinne
Former DL

The underside of those gloves would be more a suede texture than a velvet texture. I own a pair of those too. Holster is on the right.

tkid7248

Post by tkid7248 »

LuciousTalvloinne wrote:The underside of those gloves would be more a suede texture than a velvet texture. I own a pair of those too. Holster is on the right.
OK so holster on same side as forcepike?

LuciousTalvloinne
Former DL

Yes the holster would be on the same side as you holding the pike. you would grab the blaster with your left hand.

tkid7248

Post by tkid7248 »

LuciousTalvloinne wrote:Yes the holster would be on the same side as you holding the pike. you would grab the blaster with your left hand.
Sounds like a cool way to draw and push away the front cloak at the same time!

Darth Skellington
TKID: 5932

Post by Darth Skellington »

I'd like to make a comment about the blaster holster and postion, to avoid confusion. I agree with what Lucious concludes, though.

The direction the blaster is holstered makes a difference, as does whether or not it has a power pack. Props of the DH-17 have the power pack on the LEFT side of the gun. That means that the gun can only be comfortably holstered for LEFT-HANDED use. If it is holstered on your left leg, then you can draw it with your left hand normally (like a Han Solo blaster). If t is holstered on your right leg, then it needs to be holstered backwards (grip facing forward)....so that you can reach over and draw it with your left hand (like a sword).

This makes sense when you have a gun in hand trying to do it, but thinking it out on paper it may not be so clear. I agree that left handed access to the gun is essential, since the Pike is typically always carried in the right.

However, if your blaster does not have a power pack (like, say, a repainted Hasbro gun), then it woudl be physically possible for the gun to be holstered in a right-hand access position.
Warren Jacobsen - TR-5932
I am the who when you call -- who's there?
I am the wind blowing through your hair.