AOTC Outer Robes

The Red Senate Guard costume as seen in Attack of the Clones

Darth Skellington
TKID: 5932

AOTC Outer Robes

Post by Darth Skellington »

Okay, I'm looking for info and opinions on AOTC-style outer robes.

I'm remember a decent amount form the old CRL discussion, but we need to get something up for everyone (especially me, since I'm ready to start working on this.) :)

What would be really helpful would be pencil sketches of how the fabric pieces go together, and info on where pleats should be to make the drape hang right (hint hint...Jonah).

From the ROTJ discussion I gathered that ROTJ robes have 4 pieces. 2 pieces meet in the center of the BACK, and go to the sides. From the sides, two pieces wrap around to the front. For ROTJ, obviously one would be fairly small, covering only one arm, while the other would wrap all teh way around the front of you to the opposite shoulder. Yes/No? If I'm wrong, say so and maybe post the correct way in the ROTJ thread. :)

Now, for AOTC, I'm confused as to how they would have to meet in the back. I'm thinking, one big piece in the back, that stretched roughly to either side of you. Then two more pieces that wrap from your side around to your front arms......with the bottom flaring out on these to allow for more draping and wrap-around. Finally, one piece in the front, going form shoulder to shoulder, with pleats, and the slits being sewn down to jsut past armpit level.

Does this sound reasonable? I'll attach an image someone put on the old boards. Also, should the front piece be essentially rectangular, or should it be trapezoidal with a wider bottom, allowing more draping?

Pictures, sketches, details please! :trsuit:
Warren Jacobsen - TR-5932
I am the who when you call -- who's there?
I am the wind blowing through your hair.

Darth Skellington

Re: AOTC Outer Robes

Darth Skellington

Okay, linking some images from another thread.

Darth Skellington

Okay, so after looking at the photo and that pattern I see what Jonah has been saying.

It looks like the AOTC robes would not need any sort of "armpit" stitch, because the front panel covers the ENTIRE front, with no slits visible at all. The side panels, which IMO I think should flare out similar to the top pattern, will wrap around underneath the front panel. What I am thinking, is that they should probably attach to the shoulder seam just around the front, if only for an inch or two. This will keep the side panels "wrapped", instead of just flapping at your sides like a cape (if say a 30 mph wind actually happened upon you while trooping). :P

So, in short, the pattern should look just like the top pattern, except the sid panels should not simply "meet" at the corner of the shoulder. They should stick past it maybe a couple inches, which can be pulled around and sewn into teh shoulder seam, beneath the front panel.

Yes/No?

Darth Skellington

Okay, so I've been playing around with some material this weekend, doing some tests to see if I thik I can do my own robes. I've also been teaching myself how to use a sewing machine. So far, I got my 41 year old machine working, but not perfectly.....the tension is all wrong and I can;t seem to calibrate it. I borrowed a small portable handheld sewing machine from my neighbor, which works, but probably not good enough for the real robes.

Anyway, I've succeeded in sewing four pieces of fabric together in a shape resembling guard robes. :P Here is what I have learned:

1. If you model your robes after the top English pattern above, your side panels do not need to swing around the full 90 degrees from the back panel. This gives you a huge batman/dracula cape that you could use as a parachute. I figured as much beforehand, but decided to start with one side panel like that anyway (you can always cut away...it's harder to reattach). Anyway, an approximately 45 degree angle side panel seems to do the trick...less might work too. I gave it the rounded bottom edge like in the photo...seems to be working.

2. The bottom of your front and back panels needs to be wider than your shoulders.....I'm thinking a full 36 inches wide at teh base might work.

3. I modeled the cut of my shoulders and neck-hole after a t-shirt that fits comfortable (not tight, not too loose either). Seems to work out well.

4. My idea of bringing the side panels around inside the robe and attaching them at the shoudler seam looks to be dead-on. However, 2 inches will not be enough....a full 5 inches or so (almost to the neck hole). This keeps the side panels wrapped into the robes. Basically, the robes (back and side panels) will look simialr to a Darth Tyrannus cape, with a front panel in place over it from shoulder to shoulder.

It looks like the best order of sewing would be......attach teh side panels to the back first, then sew the shoulder seam (stitching teh top edges of teh front, back, and both sides all at once).

:trsuit:

Peregrinus

Post by Peregrinus »

Thank you so much for tackling the R&D for this thing. :) Be nice if we can have final patterns for all six versions of the cape we've seen so far before Easter. :D Did you get the swatches, Skel?

--Jonah
"The Royal Guards on the bus go '..., ..., ...; ..., ..., ...; ..., ..., ...'" :tr:

-- Overheard at Celebration IV

Darth Skellington

Yes I did. Thank you very much Jonah! I posted in the cloak material thread, but I just realized I forgot to send you an actual PM. My bad :P In short, I prefer your (Sy) burgandy, but distinctive fabric's red.

Thanks for the encouragement with the robes. We took some pictures of my work so far...I'll try and get them online tonight.

Darth Skellington

Okay, mind you this is a VERY rough trial run. The material is thin, single layer, and the front panel is not wide enough at the base. The side panel on the left (when viewed head on) is the better attempt, and is what I am trying to accomplish. The trick will be getting the shoulder corners to sit just right. I probably need to take this one apart completely and try re-sewing it in what I think is the proper order now, and seeing how the corners all meet then.

As for the pleats to create the u-shaped drape....I couldn't get them to work right...so I'm settling for getting everything else right first. Then possibly tacking some pleats into the finished product to achieve the desired look. Hard to judge as this fabric doesn't hand the way the velvet would.

LuciousTalvloinne
Former DL
TKID: 4126

Post by LuciousTalvloinne »

Thats a great mock up on that. I still prob won't have my ROTS stuff done by the deadline. But It looks like your on your way on meeting it :)
I should be getting my suede boots in soon.
Lucious Talvloinne TR-4126 (Stephen Davenport)
Costume Referencer 08-09 Detachment XO 09-10 Detachment CO 10-11 Detachment CO 11-12 Detachment XO 12-13 Detachment XO 13-14 Detachment X0 14-15 Detachment Mentor 15-17 Detachment CO 17-18
Owner of Carnor Jax - Captain Argyus - Revenge of the Sith Royal Guard - Force Unleashed Royal Guard

darthmaul101079

Post by darthmaul101079 »

Question for the sewing guru's:
I'm doing the ROTJ version, if i use the prequel pattern used above and modified it to the ROTJ version, such as sewing all sides together with the exception of the right side (the one slit opening), would it be plausable and also will it be accurate?
Todd Lechniak
Garrison Carida
TK/TS/TB/TR-7032
Fear...Fear attracts the fearful...The strong...The weak...The innocent...The currupt. Fear...Fear is my ally!