New gloves/boots from Keep Trooping - 1/22/24

The Imperial Royal Guard costume as seen in Return of the Jedi

iceknyght
TKID: 81175

New gloves/boots from Keep Trooping - 1/22/24

Post by iceknyght »

Hello all!

Keep Trooping recently updated their boots and gloves for their RotJ Guard kit and I bought some to replace the ones I had originally got from them (back in 2020) and figured I'd post a quick review, for those interested.

Pics below are comparing my originals vs. the new ones.

The gloves first. Overall, I do like the new gloves. The color seems really close to the ones I had, maybe a smidge lighter overall. The overall look/fit is drastically different, obviously, but I like the new ones for a couple reasons. 1) I won't have to worry about my sleeve popping under/in my glove in future troops! 2) They aren't lined, so they might be a little bit less hot. I still might keep my originals for winter troops, but we'll see. I still really like the feel of my originals as regular gloves.

The new ones are a bit stretchy, which is nice. But, I usually wear size large gloves, sometimes medium, sometimes XL, depends on the glove (and these fit just about perfect to me) and these are listed as L/XL and I have a feeling that people with bigger hands and/or forearms might have issues with these, fit-wise. But, if you're on the slender-build size, they're great! Around my hand is 9" and around my forearm is 11" for those interested.

The new boots are very similar, but have a couple changes. The bottom/heels are the same, as are the zippers in the back, but, the color of the new ones are a LOT lighter red. They are also shorter. Not sure how I feel on the lighter red color honestly, but overall, it probably doesn't matter too much. The shorter is nice though, for a couple reasons. 1) they don't flop over anymore (which the old ones do, as seen in the pic) and 2) they seem to be a little sturdier in that area (thicker material). I needed bigger boots, which is what prompted me to buy these (I did not know they had changed the builds on these, but KT does make changes on their items from time to time to make them better).

Anyway, that's my review! If anyone has any questions, just ask! :tr:

Qaos
TKID: 16019

Re: New gloves/boots from Keep Trooping - 1/22/24

Post by Qaos »

I saw on their website that they offered the new gloves and I intend to order them when they are available again next month. The old ones were not long enough and these look perfect.
I bought my boots from them in 2023 and they had the shorter boots then, so that must have a been an updated design from last year. I had never seen the darker, taller boots in your picture.
I'm glad they are updating their products. They are a good vendor based on my experience.
Thanks for sharing!

iceknyght

Post by iceknyght »

I guess I should have said "new to me", LOL!

Interesting about the boots. Like I said, I was just buying new ones cause I needed a bigger size (I needed them since the beginning, but put it off until now, and just crammed my feet into the boots). I didn't know they had changed them since I had got mine! I was getting the gloves cause I knew they updated them...

Yeah, I like how they update stuff all the time to try and get closer to the CRL's! The only thing I wish is that they'd have a cheaper shipping option, but other than that, I have had nothing but positive experiences with them (and I have bought quite a few things from them over the years).

Qaos

Post by Qaos »

If anything, I wish they offered more products for more costumes. They are the best and almost only option for a lot of Royal Guard parts.

iceknyght

Post by iceknyght »

They have added quite a bit of stuff over time. They just added the soft goods for the new Praetorian Guard!

Kam_den_Vox
TKID: 10527

Post by Kam_den_Vox »

Those are some pretty good prices. Gloves, Boots and shoulder padding for $250.00. That's making me reconsider doing a AOTC Guard because I wanted to use my black boots from my Officer.
Chris B - TK 10527
ANH Stunt Stormtrooper
Naval Line Officer - Vice Admiral
Garrison Excelsior - Nickel City Squad
"Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato

Qaos

Post by Qaos »

I received the updated gloves from KeepTrooping today. The color and length are great. But like previously stated, they are small. I normally wear a medium or large in men's gloves. My hands and forearms are not large by most standards. The previous L/XL fit perfectly (except for the length being too short). These gloves are TIGHT on my hands and forearms even with the L/XL size. I think they found these from a secondary source and are women's sized to be honest.
They will work for me, but for anyone with a decent sized hand or forearm, they likely won't fit.