My ROTJ royal guard WIP

The Imperial Royal Guard costume as seen in Return of the Jedi

Qaos
TKID: 16019

My ROTJ royal guard WIP

Post by Qaos »

I'm in the process of creating my ROTJ royal guard costume. I have everything but need to have the robes hemmed. I hope to post pics soon.

Robes/boot/gloves - from Keep Trooping
Helmet - Anovos
Force pike - from the Proplicator on etsy

Qaos

Re: My ROTJ royal guard WIP

Post by Qaos »

Qaos

Post by Qaos »

Have my costume hemmed and complete.

ugcspawn
TKID: 29030

Post by ugcspawn »

looks good to me! When you will submit your pics, try to be a bit farther away so they can see the length of the outer robe and boots.

Qaos

Post by Qaos »

ugcspawn wrote: ↑Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:16 pm looks good to me! When you will submit your pics, try to be a bit farther away so they can see the length of the outer robe and boots.
Thanks, and yes I'll definitely get some better images for approval. I took these myself with a tripod and timer, so couldn't see exactly what I was getting.
I'll get better resolution as well.
This is my first costume and asked my gml what exactly they wanted so that I don't miss anything and besides the photos, they requested a list of vendors for each item in my costume.
Is that a common thing?
I had not heard of that before.

iceknyght
TKID: 81175

Post by iceknyght »

Looking good overall!

Like UG said, they'll definitely want all of you in the pic. If you're doing it by yourself, it is trickier, for sure! Camera w/timer like you're doing will work, just might need to set it back farther. I did it that way with one set I had to do and having to keep taking the helmet/gloves off and on was a PITA! Tip, if you happen to have an iPhone with an Apple Watch, you can use the watch as a remote! I assume there might be other combinations that might be able to do the same thing...

You'll want front, back, sides and one with the bucket off. Also, good job with one without the robes (for detail shots of the inner robe and belt/sash). Some GML's will ask for makers/vendors, cause if it's a known maker and the pieces look right, it's an easy pass from them. Especially if the pics aren't great. Sometimes, they'll want pics of just specific pieces (like boots or gloves) because they are partially obstructed. Otherwise, they may have to send off to the Detachment to ask their opinions.

Qaos

Post by Qaos »

iceknyght wrote: ↑Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:42 pm Looking good overall!

Like UG said, they'll definitely want all of you in the pic. If you're doing it by yourself, it is trickier, for sure! Camera w/timer like you're doing will work, just might need to set it back farther. I did it that way with one set I had to do and having to keep taking the helmet/gloves off and on was a PITA! Tip, if you happen to have an iPhone with an Apple Watch, you can use the watch as a remote! I assume there might be other combinations that might be able to do the same thing...

You'll want front, back, sides and one with the bucket off. Also, good job with one without the robes (for detail shots of the inner robe and belt/sash). Some GML's will ask for makers/vendors, cause if it's a known maker and the pieces look right, it's an easy pass from them. Especially if the pics aren't great. Sometimes, they'll want pics of just specific pieces (like boots or gloves) because they are partially obstructed. Otherwise, they may have to send off to the Detachment to ask their opinions.
Thanks for the feedback.
I'll get help with taking the "approval" pictures to make sure they are better. I wanted to get something done and posted to get feedback in the meantime.
Your thoughts are very helpful!

ugcspawn
TKID: 29030

Post by ugcspawn »

I just noticed something. Make sure the gloves are inside the robe sleeves, and not over it. Tee pic with just the inner robe is ok, but the pic with the outer robe and the pike, the glove is out or on top of the sleeve. IB (or now KT) used to make longer gloves (like the version that I have), but they were padded and very hot. They now supply their kit with shorter, lightweight gloves which is good, but you have to make sure the gloves are inside the sleeves of the inner robe as per the crl.

Qaos

Post by Qaos »

ugcspawn wrote: ↑Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:19 pm I just noticed something. Make sure the gloves are inside the robe sleeves, and not over it. Tee pic with just the inner robe is ok, but the pic with the outer robe and the pike, the glove is out or on top of the sleeve. IB (or now KT) used to make longer gloves (like the version that I have), but they were padded and very hot. They now supply their kit with shorter, lightweight gloves which is good, but you have to make sure the gloves are inside the sleeves of the inner robe as per the crl.
That's a pet peeve of mine. My gloves fit underneath the sleeves, but if I reach my arm at all, the gloves pop out.
I can't find longer gloves.
Any suggestions on alternate glove makers?

iceknyght
TKID: 81175

Post by iceknyght »

I have this issue as well. And it almost always gets tussled when I put my pike in my hand. Not being able to look down to see if my cuff is correct or if my hand is sticking out too far or not enough drives me crazy! I basically just do what I can and hope for the best! LOL! If I have someone else there that can help me, I'll tell them to keep an eye out, but otherwise, it is what it is... I also have the shorter gloves and while they are nice, if they were just an inch or two longer, that would make a huge difference!