Jimmiroquai's build thread

Jimmiroquai
TKID: 82480

Jimmiroquai's build thread

Post by Jimmiroquai »

Hi! We just finished our kit and I thought I'd share my build process.
Kit is based off a commissioned 3D model, but with hand sculpted modifications. As of this writing, we're still in the process of modifying the top of the biceps by hand.
Cast in our flexible fiberglass:

I started with rigging the ab section:
ImageImage

For the back and yoke, I used a snap+velcro+webbing system for the shoulders. Magnets to attach the chest to the yoke:

Shoulder bells are attached to the chest via snaps and secured with velcro. A length of webbing extends to the biceps, loops another short length of webbing and snaps to itself.

Forearms are glued on one side, left open on the other:

shins are cast in one piece with an overlap built in (TLJ style FOTK).

Hip plates are attached to each other via glued webbing, then to the ab section via wide red shoe laces:

Jimmiroquai
TKID: 82480

Re: Jimmiroquai's build thread

Post by Jimmiroquai »

For the soft parts, we used a double layer of red microsuede for the skirts and cape. Like others have pointed out, the skirts differ from the TLJ praetorians such that the front panel overlaps the side panels, which overlap the rear panel.

As for the undersuit, It's difficult to find the exact shade of very dark maroon. I went with a very dark brown that has a hint to maroon. Looks close to references in person, but photographs a bit too brown on my phone.

In the pic below, Top is the red microsuede, left is the dark maroon (which is too light), right is the dark brown with a maroon tinge, middle is a painted hip plate:

Our helmet is cast with reinforcements for the nose, easy to remove with a saw or dremel cut-off wheel. I used an acetate sheet, tinted with car tint for the visor, hot glued to the helmet. Airsoft-grade helmet pads for the inside.

Gloves are from Crowprops, shoes are locally made.

I had a car guy paint my kit, so it's an epoxy primer for car plastic, red automotive paint (anzal), 2k clear

Here's the build so far...