Andy's Build Thread

Shikkakku
Detachment Leader
TKID: 63613

Re: Andy's Build Thread

Post by Shikkakku »

Undersuit bunching

The issue with those comparisons you put down is the fact that you're comparing a flexed elbow vs a straight elbow in your WIP photos, so if your straight elbow already has as many creases as a flexed elbow, when you flex it'll bunch up more. I also think the feedback stemmed from the fact that you have material that looks like its slightly extending past your forearm armour.

In the end though this is getting into nitpick level and in the end I think what you have may be fine for basic approval. I'll see if I can get the staff member who brought it up to comment here if they want.

Skirt front panel

This is why I waited for feedback from multiple people, and they all agreed your first try was too wide. We didn't just use the promo image for reference, especially since that image is shot from a lower angle so perspective may skew things just a little bit. The references we used were mostly from the Episode 7 scene where we actually see some sort of front view in a neutral position.

Sure, agreed that we can't use the reference points on the abs due to physical differences. And honestly it could be a combination of cut angle and width, and proportionality to the ab. Either way, we won't know 100% sure unless we get better references that involve a 0-angle shot of the front in bright lighting (and nobody wants to wait that long), and the consensus we have is that your modifications look much better and closer to screen refs.

TR-63613- Shikkakku
Paolo M Uy---- "Non Nobis Solum Nati Sumus"

Sovereign Protectors PR- 2020-2021, 2023-2024
Sovereign Protectors DCA: Praetorian Guard- 2021-2024
Sovereign Protectors Detachment Leader: 2024-2025

andyman97
TKID: 42584

Post by andyman97 »

Ok, so if this clears basic, should I proceed with photos for the CRL?

Shikkakku
Detachment Leader
TKID: 63613

Post by Shikkakku »

andyman97 wrote: ↑Sat Jul 29, 2023 11:54 pm Ok, so if this clears basic, should I proceed with photos for the CRL?
As of this post, you've already done so, so my say-so is moot.

For the record I have no issue with you taking preliminary CRL photos but DL and other DCS may want to review and give feedback prior to hand-off to LMO. I have no authority to make those final decisions.

EDIT: @stripes, here's the build thread I mentioned.
Last edited by Shikkakku on Wed Aug 02, 2023 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited to add tags

TR-63613- Shikkakku
Paolo M Uy---- "Non Nobis Solum Nati Sumus"

Sovereign Protectors PR- 2020-2021, 2023-2024
Sovereign Protectors DCA: Praetorian Guard- 2021-2024
Sovereign Protectors Detachment Leader: 2024-2025

andyman97

Post by andyman97 »

Shikkakku wrote: ↑Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:00 pm Undersuit bunching

The issue with those comparisons you put down is the fact that you're comparing a flexed elbow vs a straight elbow in your WIP photos, so if your straight elbow already has as many creases as a flexed elbow, when you flex it'll bunch up more. I also think the feedback stemmed from the fact that you have material that looks like its slightly extending past your forearm armour.

In the end though this is getting into nitpick level and in the end I think what you have may be fine for basic approval. I'll see if I can get the staff member who brought it up to comment here if they want.
I think it's worth noting that I had to lift my arms and bend them to put my helmet on. With all of my gauntleted kits, when I suit up, the first time I bend my arms, the fabric usually doesn't straighten back out when I extend them again. Totally don't mean that to come off as snarky but it may genuinely be something that's being overlooked. The suggested idea by iceknyght to use stirrups/loops occurred to me but we know that's not actually how these are worn since you can see fabric extending past the gauntlets in certain refs.

Either way, I did take the sleeves in another .5 inch prior to the CRL photo shoot and the new pictures do have a fair bit less bunching now. I also removed the long, buttoned cuff from the suit and hemmed a new cuff so they don't extend beyond my wrist now.
Skirt front panel

This is why I waited for feedback from multiple people, and they all agreed your first try was too wide. We didn't just use the promo image for reference, especially since that image is shot from a lower angle so perspective may skew things just a little bit. The references we used were mostly from the Episode 7 scene where we actually see some sort of front view in a neutral position.

Sure, agreed that we can't use the reference points on the abs due to physical differences. And honestly it could be a combination of cut angle and width, and proportionality to the ab. Either way, we won't know 100% sure unless we get better references that involve a 0-angle shot of the front in bright lighting (and nobody wants to wait that long), and the consensus we have is that your modifications look much better and closer to screen refs.
The difference in width was about 2", overall. I think the bigger difference was the addition of the hip plates. Regardless, I cut the Ultrasuede based off of the updated pattern so hopefully that shouldn't be a concern.

andyman97

Post by andyman97 »

Double post
Last edited by andyman97 on Thu Aug 03, 2023 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stripes
Former DL
TKID: 3676

Post by stripes »

I've just looked at photos submitted to me by Paolo, and at this time I feel that the fabric for the tunic and skirt is not matching the screen references, nor are the belt pouches. These will need additional research and work before I consider sending anything forward to the LMO for their review. Please work with Paolo to correct the issues. As I have a chance to look over things more I will see if there are any further adjustments that will be required.

stripes
Former DL

Post by stripes »

After further review, there are several items on this build that will need o be adjusted to better match the screen references as detailed below before proceeding to the next steps:

1. Shoulder Bells:

In the reference photo, the upper part has a distinct ridge that is elevated from the rest of the upper shoulder bell and not merely a seam or direction change. The build image provided shows only a joint/direction change. This will need to be corrected to better match the actual screen references for approvals

2. Hip Pouches/plates

In the screen captures and photos, there is dimension to these. They need to have a good 1-2” of depth to them and cannot be flat. The costume build photos provided show flat plates that have no dimension, and oversized compared to the screen references.

Additionally, the hip plates/pouches appear to be attached using a paracord or other similar type rigging and not leather strapping. This too will need to be addressed and corrected.

3. The shoulder fin

The shoulder fin is not merely a strip of upright ridging, but has a complex dimensional curve. This needs to be adjusted/corrected to match the screen references as much wider than currently presented.

I will continue to review this build and compare to the draft CRL and reference photos to see if any other items need immediate adjustment before proceeding to the next steps

andyman97

Post by andyman97 »

stripes wrote: ↑Wed Aug 02, 2023 11:46 pm I've just looked at photos submitted to me by Paolo, and at this time I feel that the fabric for the tunic and skirt is not matching the screen references, nor are the belt pouches. These will need additional research and work before I consider sending anything forward to the LMO for their review. Please work with Paolo to correct the issues. As I have a chance to look over things more I will see if there are any further adjustments that will be required.
Hi Leigh, thanks for taking the time to look at my photos and reply. Just an FYI, these photos are already in the hands of the LMO team.

Regarding your feedback for the soft parts, would you mind telling me what isn't matching exactly? I'm also unsure what references you're referring to. I did ask Paolo for clarification but he was unsure.

For the skirts, Shawna Trpcic, the lead costume designer posted on Instagram that red Ultrasuede was used. That is exactly what I'm using here. If it's a coloring issue, this may be due to the higher lighting conditions used for the photos.

Here is another shot in lower lighting conditions but sadly I can't get this same red to show through in bright lighting without retouching the photo.

Regarding the under suit, I'm not sure what doesn't match there, either. Hask has seen clear BTS photos of this costume and has confirmed that it is a dark maroon fabric with a twill weave. I am using 100% cotton twill fabric dyed to a dark maroon color.

andyman97

Post by andyman97 »

stripes wrote: ↑Thu Aug 03, 2023 3:25 am After further review, there are several items on this build that will need o be adjusted to better match the screen references as detailed below before proceeding to the next steps:

1. Shoulder Bells:

In the reference photo, the upper part has a distinct ridge that is elevated from the rest of the upper shoulder bell and not merely a seam or direction change. The build image provided shows only a joint/direction change. This will need to be corrected to better match the actual screen references for approvals
Would you mind detailing this a bit more? I'm really not sure what you mean by a "distinct ridge that is elevated." A reference would be appreciated.
2. Hip Pouches/plates

In the screen captures and photos, there is dimension to these. They need to have a good 1-2” of depth to them and cannot be flat. The costume build photos provided show flat plates that have no dimension, and oversized compared to the screen references.

Additionally, the hip plates/pouches appear to be attached using a paracord or other similar type rigging and not leather strapping. This too will need to be addressed and corrected.
Agreed on the depth, that is something I am working on. Regarding the attachments, again, Hask has seen clear BTS photos of these and indicated that there was cording used, not leather.
3. The shoulder fin

The shoulder fin is not merely a strip of upright ridging, but has a complex dimensional curve. This needs to be adjusted/corrected to match the screen references as much wider than currently presented.

I will continue to review this build and compare to the draft CRL and reference photos to see if any other items need immediate adjustment before proceeding to the next steps
Noted on the width, but I'm really not sure what you mean by a "complex dimensional curve." Would you mind sharing the reference you are using and explaining with a bit more detail?

stripes
Former DL

Post by stripes »

andyman97 wrote: ↑Thu Aug 03, 2023 2:11 pm Hi Leigh, thanks for taking the time to look at my photos and reply. Just an FYI, these photos are already in the hands of the LMO team.
Regardless of you sending photos to the LMO team, the detachment command staff has not signed off on anything and will NOT approve anything for use until issues are corrected. Please refrain from any further direct communication with the LMO as you do not represent this detachment as a member of the command team.

To your questions for further detail on corrections that are needed, I will happily be providing more details on each item I have found in the coming days. I have been busy juggling time in for this review while dealing with family health matters and my full time job.