Andy's Build Thread

Shikkakku
Detachment Leader
TKID: 63613

Re: Andy's Build Thread

Post by Shikkakku »

Okay, so I haven’t heard back from other DCS about the skirt pattern yet but here’s some feedback that I wanted you to have in case that takes longer.

Interim Main points:
  • The colour match of the skirt needs to be better, its too light atm compared to the armour. I think you mentioned this was your original microsuede, so I think the ultrasuede will fix that.
  • Construction-wise, some of us think the front panel is a touch too wide. In this image, right-side actor you can kind of see the front panel start from roughly the left black square with an equivalent distance on the right.
  • Also the skirt should be just a little bit above the floor, you’ll trip over your own feet if its that low (from personal experience) and you can see a hint of boot in this image:
  • Black indentations (front and back chest, belt boxes, shins) need to be colored in
  • It was pointed out that your undersuit needs to be less loose, you’re getting a lot of loose folds and sagging at the elbows when it should be loose but not droopy
Other minor observations that I wanted to mention but dont need to be changed necessarily:
  • At first I thought your spats were below the shin (they should overlap) due to the crease between spat and shin, but it was clarified that that’s just how denuvo makes their shins and that an indent it slots into. Just ensure the black shin oval is present and visible.
  • The red part of your gloves may be a bit too puffy when compared to screen references. This one is a bit of a mea culpa on my part since in the past I advised you to add more material to it, now I wonder if we overdid it a tad.
Hope that helps, if I receive anything else from other DCS I will let you know (or have them post here)

TR-63613- Shikkakku
Paolo M Uy---- "Non Nobis Solum Nati Sumus"

Sovereign Protectors PR- 2020-2021, 2023-2024
Sovereign Protectors DCA: Praetorian Guard- 2021-2024
Sovereign Protectors Detachment Leader: 2024-2025

andyman97
TKID: 42584

Post by andyman97 »

Thanks for the feedback!

Blacking out is now finished, hip plates are attached to ab armor as well. Easy enough to make the front panel a few inches more narrow and shorter and take the sleeves in more.

As for the color, the panels of microsuede were actually showing the wrong side but the wrong side is darker than the front side. Regardless, there isn't much that can be done with the color of either of these without ruining them.

First is ultrasuede on left, microsuede on right.

This is next to microsuede.

Last is ultrasuede.

andyman97

Post by andyman97 »

Black is all set.

Tightened up the sleeves a good bit. Any more and I'll be like Randy from a Christmas story, "I can't put my arms down!" This is only going to help so much, though. Every time you bend your elbows they bunch right back up.

Shikkakku
Detachment Leader

Post by Shikkakku »

Ok, I think the undersuit looks good at this point. It might still bunch up but i think at this point we're running into fabric-specific differences.

Excellent on the black indents. I can't recall off the top of my head all the spots where it needs to be black so please confirm with our draft CRL.

Also to note- the cape comes down to around the same spot as the skirt, if maybe slightly higher. Its very important that the cape is wide- too narrow and it looks less like a cape and more a piece of cloth hanging from the backplate. Be sure to refer to references on how wide it should be relative to the backplate.

TR-63613- Shikkakku

iceknyght
TKID: 81175

Post by iceknyght »

andyman97 wrote: ↑Thu Jul 27, 2023 3:13 pm
Tightened up the sleeves a good bit. Any more and I'll be like Randy from a Christmas story, "I can't put my arms down!" This is only going to help so much, though. Every time you bend your elbows they bunch right back up.
Just a quick tip, might want to think about adding thumb loops to the sleeves. I add them to a bunch of my costumes, as it makes it easier to put gloves on without the sleeves bunching up (and would keep the sleeves from shifting up in your case). I just get a piece of elastic (1/2" or so) and add clips to them (similar to what is on suspenders) and I can clip them on to any of my costumes...

Also, diggin' the costume so far! I am currently building a Boba Fett, but if I decide to do another kit afterwards, this might be it...

andyman97

Post by andyman97 »

Shikkakku wrote: ↑Thu Jul 27, 2023 7:33 pm Ok, I think the undersuit looks good at this point. It might still bunch up but i think at this point we're running into fabric-specific differences.

Excellent on the black indents. I can't recall off the top of my head all the spots where it needs to be black so please confirm with our draft CRL.

Also to note- the cape comes down to around the same spot as the skirt, if maybe slightly higher. Its very important that the cape is wide- too narrow and it looks less like a cape and more a piece of cloth hanging from the backplate. Be sure to refer to references on how wide it should be relative to the backplate.

Got all of the black areas, exactly the same as fotk with the addition of the 2 "ls" on the back.

I hadn't cut the cape yet so I checked references and did that as well as made the front a good bit more narrow to the areas you mentioned. I realize it's on the floor and will need to adjust up though.

Here are some updated shots.

Shikkakku
Detachment Leader

Post by Shikkakku »

Ok, discussed further with members of CS:
  • Your hip plates need to move further back, right now on your side view they're too forward. Screen references show they should be centered on the thigh
  • Skirt is much improved and should be good to go. Of course refer to references primarily to be absolutely sure.
  • Still some concern over the undersuit bunching up too much at the elbow, at this point it may be an issue with how heavy the coverall fabric is.
Also can you confirm you added the mandarin collar to the coverall to match the screenused?

TR-63613- Shikkakku

andyman97

Post by andyman97 »

Shikkakku wrote: ↑Fri Jul 28, 2023 1:11 am Ok, discussed further with members of CS:
  • Your hip plates need to move further back, right now on your side view they're too forward. Screen references show they should be centered on the thigh
  • Skirt is much improved and should be good to go. Of course refer to references primarily to be absolutely sure.
  • Still some concern over the undersuit bunching up too much at the elbow, at this point it may be an issue with how heavy the coverall fabric is.
Also can you confirm you added the mandarin collar to the coverall to match the screenused?
Hips are easy, I can adjust the ties to get them to sit farther back on the hips. FYI, I made the holes in the ab armor precisely where they were underneath the correct boxes based on the references.

I've been studying the references on the skirts, if they're good I'll get to work on them.

Yes, I made a full closure for the collar, it's in this thread.

For the elbows/bunching fabric, I honestly think this is looking at certain references out of context. Take a look at the comparison below. Does it look that different? I'm using an 8 oz twill, it's really not a super heavy, uncommon fabric.

andyman97

Post by andyman97 »

He's another screen ref. I'm really not seeing much difference here...

andyman97

Post by andyman97 »

Also did some comparison of the front panel of the skirt and I'm honestly kind of wondering why it was determined to be too wide. To me, it looks like my initial cut was much closer to the mark. You can see in the promo how the panel edges out nearly to the sides. This was a big part of the reason I was pushing for verbiage in the crl that gives an approximate range for where the panel's edges are.

I think it's worth noting that I'm not 5' 10" and 180 lbs, I'm 5'6" and 165. Using the belt boxes as reference points for skirt width isn't going to give me the right proportions if I have a narrower waist than a larger actor does. You can see the box positioning starts to curve earlier on me than it does on the guard in the promo. You probably wouldn't want someone that was 200+ lbs using these same points as it would look comically narrow.