Andy's Build Thread

andyman97
TKID: 42584

Re: Andy's Build Thread

Post by andyman97 »

Since we've confirmed the dark maroon color for the under suit, I've gone ahead and done the final dye on my coveralls. I think they're good now so I can do the tailoring and make my collar closure.

Also confirmed with Paolo that my microsuede fabric is a spot on match so I've gone ahead and cut into it to do some testing. Since these seem to be single sided panels with raw edges that will make construction much easier and quicker. I can knock these out in a few days, I just need to spend some time prepping, triple checking lengths/angles/measurements and doing checks on test fabric before I start on the microsuede. Here's a test swatch that I cut and applied fray check to just to check the outcome but I think it'll be a winner.

As for patterning the skirts themselves, they seem to be a hakama style pattern to me so I think I'm going with that setup. The red line represents the front/back/cape, the green line represents the sides. If anything, they'll be a bit oversized and I can trim as needed. Again, this is where testing on cheap fabric comes in.

Not much to update on armor... I'm still waiting for Denuo to get the lead out. I was told the armor should ship this week but I'm not holding my breath. I'm hoping to see some biceps modeled by Darren of Great Ape soon, too. I'm waiting to see if any more accurate hip plate files surface. Also excited to see that Nic has modeled a nice looking weapon! Once that's available I'll be starting that print.

andyman97

Post by andyman97 »

Got a decent amount accomplished over the weekend. Gloves are made and suit is tailored and neck closure is made. I plan to get the skirts made this week sometime.

andyman97

Post by andyman97 »

Got skirts cut out and a rough tape up (lol) to check fit/drape. Also printed out Galactic Armory's updated hip files. I'll get to work on post this evening for these. All I need at this point are some good biceps and the FOTK armor.

andyman97

Post by andyman97 »

Hip plates have been printed and painted. My Denuo armor is arriving Friday so I can start working on that next. Fortunately, Nic from Empire3D released the double bladed short staff so I can get that started, too. The only thing I have left to sort is accurate bicep armor which should be coming very soon. Hoping to have everything done for a full suit up in 2-3 weeks if all goes well.

andyman97

Post by andyman97 »

Lots of updates...

Finally got my Denuo Novo FOTK armor. Trimming is done for the torso parts and fitting is mostly done, just a little left before I can begin painting. Still some fine trimming to do on the shins and spats but won't take long.

I also ended up ordering some real Ultrasuede but I'm not ready to cut into it until I can get some confirmation from the detachment that the pattern I cut from my microsuede is good. This stuff is very nice and very thick, though. You can see the comparison in width in the pic.

Also, Nic from Empire3d released the double blade weapon files and those are printing currently. I got some really accurate biceps from Great Ape as well and those are on the printer, now. My goal is to have an initial suit up in about 2 weeks.

andyman97

Post by andyman97 »

I had a very productive week/weekend past. I managed to finish trimming, finishing, painting, and clearing all of the armor. I've started final assembly on most of the parts. Chest and back, ab section, and shins and spats are complete. At this point I need to attach fabric to the biceps, straps for the pauldrons, and attach the gauntlets together.

For the ab suspenders, it was pretty straightforward, I used mil spec twill elastic with snaps to the armor and parachute buckles in the front.

Hoping for a suit up by the weekend. If not, should be some time next week, for sure.

andyman97

Post by andyman97 »

andyman97 wrote: ↑Mon Jul 17, 2023 2:52 pmI also ended up ordering some real Ultrasuede but I'm not ready to cut into it until I can get some confirmation from the detachment that the pattern I cut from my microsuede is good. This stuff is very nice and very thick, though. You can see the comparison in width in the pic.
Just wanted to double tap on this that I'd really appreciate detachment feedback on the skirts before I cut into my ultrasuede fabric. It really wasn't cheap at $100/yard and I'd prefer to avoid something I can't undo and could easily be prevented with some quick feedback. Thanks!

Shikkakku
Detachment Leader
TKID: 63613

Post by Shikkakku »

andyman97 wrote: ↑Mon Jul 24, 2023 5:01 pm
andyman97 wrote: ↑Mon Jul 17, 2023 2:52 pmI also ended up ordering some real Ultrasuede but I'm not ready to cut into it until I can get some confirmation from the detachment that the pattern I cut from my microsuede is good. This stuff is very nice and very thick, though. You can see the comparison in width in the pic.
Just wanted to double tap on this that I'd really appreciate detachment feedback on the skirts before I cut into my ultrasuede fabric. It really wasn't cheap at $100/yard and I'd prefer to avoid something I can't undo and could easily be prevented with some quick feedback. Thanks!
I've referred this question to other DCS, and once we hear back we will post a recommendation.

TR-63613- Shikkakku
Paolo M Uy---- "Non Nobis Solum Nati Sumus"

Sovereign Protectors PR- 2020-2021, 2023-2024
Sovereign Protectors DCA: Praetorian Guard- 2021-2024
Sovereign Protectors Detachment Leader: 2024-2025

andyman97

Post by andyman97 »

Shikkakku wrote: ↑Tue Jul 25, 2023 6:16 pm
andyman97 wrote: ↑Mon Jul 24, 2023 5:01 pm
I've referred this question to other DCS, and once we hear back we will post a recommendation.
Awesome! Thanks!

andyman97

Post by andyman97 »

ROUGH first suit up done, some obvious placement tweaks need to be done. Clearly still need to add the hip plates on and get the black recessed areas done. These are also the microsuede skirts still, haven't cut into the ultrasuede yet, waiting on feedback for that.