Andy's Build Thread

andyman97
TKID: 42584

Re: Andy's Build Thread

Post by andyman97 »

Updated upper hip plates are ready for clear. Lowers have been painted and are drying. I'm ready to keep moving forward, just awaiting details on feedback.

Echo
Detachment Webmaster
TKID: 12132

Post by Echo »

Leigh is currently dealing with some major RL health things. I'll let him know that you've made updates, but it may take a few days for him to be able to properly answer your questions and provide feedback.
---
Emily McRae
GEC/GWL - Outer Rim Garrison
DPRO/DWM - Sovereign Protectors

andyman97

Post by andyman97 »

So I've made some updates to the hip armor and the shoulder fins. The color in the skirts came out much more true to life. I've also attached a screenshot of the STL I'm using for the pauldrons. In terms of there being a distinct ridge and not a "direction change," this should clarify that there is a sharp angle where the ridge rises from the armor.

I've addressed all other feedback previously, as best I can.

Echo
Detachment Webmaster

Post by Echo »

Thanks Andy.

I've continued to be in contact with Leigh. He's hoping to have some time to devote to this soon, but as we all know, RL emergencies always come first.
---
Emily McRae

andyman97

Post by andyman97 »

Thank you, Emily. I'll be standing by.

andyman97

Post by andyman97 »

Just finished up the double blade.

Edited to add a side by side for the suit/sleeves. The left is a close up of mine and the right is a reference from Gallery, which is the closest thing I've seen to showing the true color in normal-ish lighting conditions.

andyman97

Post by andyman97 »

So it seems there have been presumptions and miscommunication and I’d like to offer some clarification. This isn’t intended as finger pointing, rather to clarify my own perspective.

There’s a presumption that I’m being impatient and expect the detachment to follow my timeline for completing this CRL. I never made any comment about being ghosted or saying the detachment was taking too long for my liking.
stripes wrote: ↑Fri Aug 04, 2023 9:45 pmTo your questions for further detail on corrections that are needed, I will happily be providing more details on each item I have found in the coming days. I have been busy juggling time in for this review while dealing with family health matters and my full time job.
I did not set a timeline. If personal matters get in the way, that’s completely understandable but I didn’t make up an unreasonable timeline to expect feedback out of nowhere.

I made all corrections I could decipher within a week and posted new photos in this thread. Stating that I expect the detachment sacrifice accuracy to cater to me is unfounded and unfair. I’ve displayed nothing but a willingness to build this costume correctly.
stripes wrote: ↑Fri Aug 04, 2023 9:45 pmRegardless of you sending photos to the LMO team, the detachment command staff has not signed off on anything and will NOT approve anything for use until issues are corrected. Please refrain from any further direct communication with the LMO as you do not represent this detachment as a member of the command team.
I never represented that the detachment approved anything or that I was a member of the detachment and the LMO team is well aware of these facts. I will continue to discuss my costume with LMOs as they or I see fit. I do not believe you have a right to dictate whether I can speak to an LMO especially because I’m not a member of staff or the detachment.

I engaged the LMO team because I was forewarned by several people that I would meet resistance here and that has proven to be true. I was directed by this detachment’s LMO to send him photos so I did. The assessment that I “violated legion protocol” is absurd. We have guidelines as to how this process should ideally work but that is, in no way, a binding rule. It is not uncommon for a potential CRL model/LMO/DL to have open dialogue and it is not considered a violation of legion protocol. IMO, this should be a team effort with open dialogue, not a walled garden but all I can do is show up.

As for engaging the LMO team, the fact that I’m being told that my confirmed screen used fabric doesn’t match (a level 2 detail in the draft CRL) and my hip attachments should be leather (conflicting with the detachment’s own research and the draft CRL) calls intentions into question.

All this to say that I am not looking for a confrontation or fight, rather a fair shake. I’ve received no kind words, encouragement, or compliments for helping draft the CRL or building this costume (aside from the common courtesy Emily has shown me). It is quite disheartening when this is supposed to be a community but makes me feel like I’m an unwelcomed outsider who has no place here. I have made no demands or unreasonable requests and having it twisted otherwise is unsettling and hurtful. I don't enjoy the bickering or conflict, I would just like to complete the build and the CRL so I can troop but I need feedback to do so.

Echo
Detachment Webmaster

Post by Echo »

Hi Andy,

I have been in communication with many members of the detachment, command staff and otherwise. It's part of my role as DPRO, DWM, and 'detachment mom.' I have had a lot of venting and frustration vented to me over the last couple of years, and always do my best to find solutions to problems where I can (even if that means I need to beat someone over the head with a wet noodle).

Before I get too deeply into this, I want to preface it by saying that you are certainly not unwelcome or an outsider. We're a smaller detachment, and any costumes thrown our way are met with excitement. We tend to be rather niche!

All of that said, I have been given screenshots and read quite a bit of the interactions between you and others. Whether you intended to or not, your approach has been incredibly offensive. It's offensive to go over the detachment's head and run to the LMO. It's offensive to demand someone reply to you on your timeline. It's offensive to insinuate that we're ignoring you, ghosting you, ignoring the CRL, or otherwise not doing our jobs. These are things that you have done, and people are unhappy because of it.

That said, I have continued to monitor this to the best of my ability; I'm not a DCA, but I've been peripherally watching the development of the CRL and offering my experience and advice where I can. I can assure you that despite feeling profoundly disrespected, that is NOT causing a delay in this approval process. Leigh was ready to sit down and go through the final steps when his partner became extremely ill and nearly died (this is not an exaggeration... she was suddenly extremely ill and hospitalized for emergency surgery).

We understand being excited for new costumes and wanting to troop. We want that, and we want that for you! We do, however, want you to respect the process and respect the people that have been working on this. Right now, that means being patient and taking a step back. You are certainly welcome to speak with whomever you like, but please do not attempt to circumvent or expedite the development process by going to the LMO team just because you're unwilling to wait. That may not be what your intentions are, but that is precisely what you have done, which is why you have been met with forceful pushback.

If you have specific concerns beyond the CRL, my inbox is open for you to message me, and I will do my best to help. You are not unwelcome. We just want you to respect those who have invested many hours of their personal time, and be patient so we can put out the best guideline that we can.
---
Emily McRae

andyman97

Post by andyman97 »

Hi Emily, thanks for your response. I have to disagree with your assessment on several points. I really don’t want to keep going back and forth but I won’t sit back while untruths are told.
Echo wrote: ↑Tue Aug 22, 2023 5:40 pm It's offensive to go over the detachment's head and run to the LMO.
I’m sorry if you all feel that a member having contact with an LMO in this setting is offensive. I don’t agree, nor do several LMOs. I can only chock this up to a difference of opinion.
It's offensive to demand someone reply to you on your timeline.
I have not demanded anything on my timeline, I truly have no idea what you’re talking about.
It's offensive to insinuate that we're ignoring you, ghosting you, ignoring the CRL, or otherwise not doing our jobs. These are things that you have done, and people are unhappy because of it.
Again, I made no such comments. The only comment about “ghosting” was made by another member, Kris Kobus, and it was made in the 501st Praetorian Guard Build Group. Here is the screenshot and, for clarification, I was agreeing that I was hoping for feedback soon and stated it had been more than 2 weeks that I had been waiting. This is exactly what I was talking about in my previous post, this has become a matter of contention to the point that anything I say is being taken to an extreme with extra meaning attached for what seems to be because I've ruffled some feathers by having contact with the LMOs.

I made no such comment but for some reason this is being taken as something I have posted. I should not be put on blast for something someone else posted.

Echo
Detachment Webmaster

Post by Echo »

I haven't put you on blast. I have told you that your behaviour has been offensive and outlined what you have done that was offensive. You being in denial about this doesn't change that it happened, nor does it negate the fact that this is how your actions have been interpreted.

Pushing, nagging, or otherwise insisting on feedback based on your personal availability is demanding. You did do that, and you're still doing that. Please stop and be patient. You aren't being ignored; you just aren't Leigh's priority right now, and Chris is on vacation. There is no race to completion. There is no need to rush this. I would rather see a solid CRL put out than one half-baked and requiring significant revision. That takes time, and life has demanded a pause right now.

I also said that you insinuated the lack of activity/ghosting/etc. Which means that you have encouraged and otherwise did not dissuade that opinion from other people. You made your own group instead of continuing to use the existing one. That's a disrespectful move, and has been interpreted as an action you have taken because you weren't happy with the information you have already been given and/or the pace at which it's being done. Just because someone else said the words doesn't mean that you haven't sent the same message. Actions speak just as loudly as words do.

Asking the LMO for their thoughts is not the same as sending a message of, "If you don't do what I want when I want it, I'm just going to get the LMO to overrule you or harass you to do it on my timeline." Again, not the exact words you used, but this is the message you have sent by your actions. That's why people have become prickly about it. Regardless of whether this was your intent, that was the message you sent, and was interpreted as such by multiple members of the command staff. Of COURSE people are offended and feeling disrespected.

Please stop and be patient. Everyone on the team has been working hard. The CRL is not being neglected or ignored. You aren't being ignored. I personally think that you've done an incredible amount of work, and don't want to discourage you from this kit. I do, however, want you to take a few steps back and just wait. I know that you're excited, and I love what you've been able to put together so far. Don't let that excitement turn into pushiness and bullying.

I'm definitely keeping an eye on this, and in regular contact with Leigh. I'm planning to talk to Chris when he gets back from his vacation to see if, between him and Leigh, they can get this finalized (as it looks like Leigh's partner has a bit of a haul for her recovery, and THAT is an unfair and unreasonable delay if his intent is to wait until she's fully recovered).
---
Emily McRae