Andy's Build Thread

andyman97
TKID: 42584

Andy's Build Thread

Post by andyman97 »

Still lots to figure out but since I have a starting point and general direction of where I'm going I figured I would start my build thread here.

Helmet on the printer now, should finish this weekend. Paint is ordered, and I'll see how it looks. Whatever color I end up with will get a top coat of 2k urethane clear.

For the skirt and cape I want to use 16 oz Ponte De Roma fabric but I need to figure out the layering to order enough fabric and lay out a pattern. I would like to make it one garment with a side zippered cummerbund for easy suit-up and suspenders to prevent slip down.

I'm still not clear on the soft parts color. They're either maroon or black but, I'd like to use 8-9 oz cotton twill fabric then pattern them as a one piece with a mandarin collar and closure. This will be very similar to my tie flight suit but I won't have to split it into sections or add any pockets. Should be quick and easy.

For the boots I'm looking at IB/Keep Trooping's Sith Trooper boots.

For gloves, I'd like to use Stomper's Tough Gloves gauntlets in black and open the side seams on either side of the palms where I'll insert my own "square of red leather" that has foam underneath that's been topstitched with the 3 "rows" and has edge stitching around the perimeter. That should work nicely.

I'll need to pick up a FOTK chest, back, shins, spats, and ROTK forearms. For the shoulders, biceps, and hips, I'll be waiting until something accurate is modeled for these parts.

andyman97

Re: Andy's Build Thread

Post by andyman97 »

I've got ome updates...

I ended up ordering the stomper gloves and I love these. They're lined gauntlets patrol gloves and so comfortable. I'll be making the raised padded sections eventually.

Rather than making the suit from scratch I opted to go with a red kap coverall in red, cotton twill fabric and over dye dark brown for a maroon color. So far I've removed the pockets and dyed a test swatch. I think it's pretty close. Once I've dyed it, I'll do the tailoring and add the closure for the collar.

For the skirts I went ahead and ordered some microsuede. It's a 13 oz fabric so it has a good weight to it and should drape nicely. Since it's poly, wrinkles should be no concern. And since we now know the screen used fabric is ultra suede this should be a more than fair contender imo.

andyman97

Post by andyman97 »

Got some micro suede fabric in and did some more paint comparison. I think this fabric is a dead ringer for the ultrasuede. Left paint color is Montana shock red, right is duplicolor Cardinal red. I'm thinking the cardinal is a winner.

andyman97

Post by andyman97 »

Dyed the undersuit with dark brown dye to get a marron color.

Also dyed some thing lambskin red and compared to the Duplicolor Cardinal red paint.

andyman97

Post by andyman97 »

So, I didn't like the lambskin leather for the backs of the gloves, there's too much texture and not enough shine so I ordered some patent leather panels to see how those look. Hopefully will arrive later this week.

Boots have arrived from Keep Trooping, they're very nice!

andyman97

Post by andyman97 »

Finally got the bucket in. One piece print in tough resin using Great Ape Studio's files. Got some red patent leather that should be in the mailbox when I get home from work so I'll share some photos of that when I get home.

andyman97

Post by andyman97 »

Post processing is finished and paint is on the helmet. This is duplicolor cardinal red and I think it's a pretty spot on match. It still needs clear but I'm thinking of just waiting until I have everything painted before proceeding with the 2k so I don't have to do multiple batches of clear mixing.

The first pauldron is printed and the second is going now. I'll start post and paint on them this evening. I also got some patent red leather for the gloves that I think should be a really good fit for the raised sections. My FOTK armor was supposed to have shipped but apparently Denuo Novo had low inventory for some of the individual pieces so they have to manually pull from full kits to fulfill so I'm waiting.

I still have to figure out the biceps and forearms. I do have Pew Pew crafts hip armor files and they look pretty good so I may give them a shot, we'll see.

andyman97

Post by andyman97 »

Both pauldrons have been printed and painted. Still need 2k clear along with the bucket.
Still waiting for something from Denuo Novo on the FOTK parts I ordered. Hoping it won't be much longer now.

andyman97

Post by andyman97 »

Here are all of the printed parts so far with 2k clear sprayed over the paint. Pauldrons are also files from Great Ape Studios.

andyman97

Post by andyman97 »

Here is one of my gauntlets that I printed in resin from Mr. Paul's shoretrooper files. I painted it in the same duplicolor cardinal red as the rest of the armor so far. I'm doing post on the other gauntlet currently then will paint it. Once I get good bicep files, I will print those. Still got to figure out what to do about hip plates but Jim Tripon's look promising. Waiting to see if more accurate files become available.