Discussion: Hip Armour

Shikkakku
Detachment Leader
TKID: 63613

Post by Shikkakku »

Reserved for discussion of the hip armour/tassets/sidepurses/fanny packs found on both sides of the hip beneath the ab girdle.

Image Image

TR-63613- Shikkakku
Paolo M Uy---- "Non Nobis Solum Nati Sumus"

Sovereign Protectors PR- 2020-2021, 2023-2024
Sovereign Protectors DCA: Praetorian Guard- 2021-2024
Sovereign Protectors Detachment Leader: 2024-2025

andyman97
TKID: 42584

Re: Discussion: Hip Armour

Post by andyman97 »

Looks like there are 2 red leather or leather-like 2-3" thin straps that connect the hip armor to the abdominal sections. There are 2 holes on either end of the plate along with holes in the abdominal armor where the straps are ran through.

OrarKad

Post by OrarKad »

Looking at pics, it looks almost like the lower tasset is a flattened Fett codpiece with the lower point cut/rounded off

Edit: pics and it looks as if both are trimmed Fett cods, the upper has a rectangle detail added

Shikkakku
Detachment Leader

Post by Shikkakku »

It does almost look like the Boba Cod, just trimmed and a bit wider.

Honestly this piece has been giving me headaches. We are starting to get into speculation territory for this one.

Questions:
  1. How is it attached? Is it attached via holes on the lower ab, or do the two strings go underneath the lower ab and attach somewhere inside? Based on how much they flap around I don't think they have any other attachment points, but I could be wrong.
  2. What are those small details on the lower corners? At first I thought they were the same string holding the plates to the ab and just weaved through the piece, but after looking some more they look like two rectangular details close to each other?
  3. They are also super thin, should we specify this in CRL? (I personally don't think so). The plates are also slighty curved, which I think should be specified.
  4. What the Force is with the black thingy in between the top and bottom plate?

TR-63613- Shikkakku

OrarKad

Post by OrarKad »

The black bit under the upper plate almost looks like an adhesive, with maybe a flap of the skirt material attaching them together, as it looks a bit too out of place, so maybe some kind of Velcro holding the plates to the backing. Looking at the poster/Instagram pic of the three guards, they are attached to the abs with string as speculated, looks like 550 cord in thickness, coming from over the plate, and tied in a knot inside the hole to prevent pulling out

Edit, the corner details look like a similar cord to that holding the plates on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

andyman97

Post by andyman97 »

You can see in the crop of the poster I posted that there are holes in the lower ab where the straps go through.

andyman97

Post by andyman97 »

Shikkakku wrote: ↑Tue Jun 27, 2023 3:33 am It does almost look like the Boba Cod, just trimmed and a bit wider.

Honestly this piece has been giving me headaches. We are starting to get into speculation territory for this one.

Questions:
  1. How is it attached? Is it attached via holes on the lower ab, or do the two strings go underneath the lower ab and attach somewhere inside? Based on how much they flap around I don't think they have any other attachment points, but I could be wrong.
  2. What are those small details on the lower corners? At first I thought they were the same string holding the plates to the ab and just weaved through the piece, but after looking some more they look like two rectangular details close to each other?
  3. They are also super thin, should we specify this in CRL? (I personally don't think so). The plates are also slighty curved, which I think should be specified.
  4. What the Force is with the black thingy in between the top and bottom plate?
My take:
a) As stated above, I think it's pretty clearly visible in promo pics there are 3 holes in the ab armor for attachment and the straps look to me to be red, non-woven, and flat. They may be cording but it doesn't look that way to me. I would want to make mine from red leather. Regarding additional attachment points, I don't plan to do battle lol so the idea of having mobility is a winner. It's not a visible thing so I don't see any point in specifying more.

b & c) They're pretty minor details and really hard to make out. What do we want to allow for/not allow for? Open oval holes? Oval holes with 1 or 2 rectangular greeblies inside? Any of the 3? I think it's clear that they are oval shaped recesses, at a minimum and they slant downward, so that probably should be specified. As to what's inside them, that's a judgment/interpretation call, imo. Something along the lines of "either an open recess or 1-2 long rectangular greeblies fill the open area" could cover all bases and allow for some flexibility for basic on a part we aren't certain about.

Agree with the curve, otherwise they'll float away from the hip in the front and/or back.

d) It's a pocket protector for pens, pencils, compasses, and screwdrivers for glasses!! Seriously though, it's another element that isn't visible. We aren't going to be stunting around (I'll probably permanently attach mine together, anyway. Short of doing stunts, it's another element that isn't visible and I don't think is worth spending a lot of time trying to figure out unless it was a level 2 detail.

OrarKad

Post by OrarKad »

I can see the leather being the material as well for the attachment, as for the corner details, thy seem to have a different sheen than the armor, which leads me to think it could be the same material as the attachment cords, used as detail by feeding through a set of holes on the hip plates. Hopefully tomorrow's behind the scenes will give some more clarity for all the parts

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

andyman97

Post by andyman97 »

So... since getting our hands on the references from gallery, it looks to me like there are actually 4 straps attaching the hips to the ab armor, not 2 or 3. Also, I don't think the hip plates have "greeblies" on them, I think they're more likely holes with leather straps similar to the attachment straps that route between them. The top ones are probably flattened rather than more round due to the weight of the plates. The lower ones on the slant don't look to be quite as flat and that makes sense if there's no weight pulling them flat.

OraKad's comment about the contrast in finish/surface texture is very astute and I have to agree. If they were just greeblies they would likely be painted with the rest of the armor and have the same shine and reflectivity but they clearly don't. I think this also likely nixes the likelihood of recesses where a greeblie would be.

Shikkakku
Detachment Leader

Post by Shikkakku »

andyman97 wrote: ↑Thu Jun 29, 2023 2:10 pm So... since getting our hands on the references from gallery, it looks to me like there are actually 4 straps attaching the hips to the ab armor, not 2 or 3. Also, I don't think the hip plates have "greeblies" on them, I think they're more likely holes with leather straps similar to the attachment straps that route between them. The top ones are probably flattened rather than more round due to the weight of the plates. The lower ones on the slant don't look to be quite as flat and that makes sense if there's no weight pulling them flat.

OraKad's comment about the contrast in finish/surface texture is very astute and I have to agree. If they were just greeblies they would likely be painted with the rest of the armor and have the same shine and reflectivity but they clearly don't. I think this also likely nixes the likelihood of recesses where a greeblie would be.
Okay, this is where I have to be very careful on how I phrase things.

I have had some primary information come into my possession. The source of this information has requested that I do not share any images, and to not be identified, and I will honour their request. This information haas answered most of the questions re: hip plates.
  • Andy is correct, the top plate is connected to the bottom of the ab girdle via 4 strings/tassels. These tassels are threaded through holes at the bottom of the ab. You can faintly see the strings here:
    On close zoomup it even looks like the strings may be of the same material as the skirting/cape, but I am not sure.
  • The corner greeblies are 100% there and are of a different material from the rest of the hip plate. They are rectangular with 2 rounded ridges on the top surface and nunber 4 in total, angled down and present at each lower corner of each plate.

Forgive the crap art but I sketched them out.

You can see the double-ridges here, clearest in picture 2, upper right greeblie:
So I propose the following:
Side Hip Plates
  • There are two sets of hip plates on each side of the costume. Both sets compose of a top and bottom plate and are finished in the same way as the rest of the armour.
  • Both plates have a slight curve both horizontally and vertically to conform to the legs. (This clause I am unsure of. It can be seen in some screen references but not others, it is quite subtle)
  • Top Plate
    • The top plate is connected to the bottom of the abdomen via 4 red strings/tassels, looped through holes at the bottom of the abdomen and at the top of the plate.
    • There is a large raised rectangle in the middle of the top plate.
    • There are two raised details near the lower left and lower right corner. These details are two parallel rounded ridges and are angled down towards the middle of the plate.
  • Bottom Plate
    • The bottom plate is similar in shape to the top plate and does not have the raised rectangle.
    • The bottom plate is attached to the underside of the top plate, close to the middle. It is attached in such a way that the bottom plate can swing freely independent of the top plate.
    • The raised details are present in the lower left and lower right corners and are identical to the details on the top plate.

TR-63613- Shikkakku