Discussion: Hip Armour

andyman97
TKID: 42584

Re: Discussion: Hip Armour

Post by andyman97 »

I think most of this is sound, I only have some minor suggested tweaks.
Shikkakku wrote: ↑Wed Jul 05, 2023 4:53 am [*]There are two sets of hip plates on each side of the costume. Both sets compose of a top and bottom plate and are finished in the same way as the rest of the armour.
Here I would change from "on each side of the costume" to "located on the wearer's left and right hips" so the location is more specific and you don't end up with someone trying to place the hips 2 inches above the knees. This will provide a more targeted location for the GMLs, as well.
[*] Both plates have a slight curve both horizontally and vertically to conform to the legs. (This clause I am unsure of. It can be seen in some screen references but not others, it is quite subtle)
I would suggest leaving the curve language out altogether and keep it simple by stating that the plates conform to the wearer's hips, especially if it's a point we aren't especially comfortable nailing down in detail.
[*]Top Plate
  • The top plate is connected to the bottom of the abdomen via 4 red strings/tassels, looped through holes at the bottom of the abdomen and at the top of the plate.
I like this but I think we can be a touch more specific, especially with regards to the size of them. The first thing that comes to mind when I hear string is a thin, braided string which I fear could mislead costumers into actually using a braided red nylon string. If we described it as "4 red strap connection pieces made from either leather or leather like material or the same material as the skirts, approximately 1/2 inch/13mm in diameter and approximately 3-4 inches/76-102 mm long" I think that would put us in a much closer ballpark.
  • There are two raised details near the lower left and lower right corner. These details are two parallel rounded ridges and are angled down towards the middle of the plate.
I would reword the second sentence, for clarity, to say: "The raised details have rounded ridges, are angled downward toward the center of the plate, and run parallel to each other with very little to no space between."

Not sure if you want to specify these to have a different/duller finish from the armor... With what we've seen in the current stl and cast offerings, these parts are modeled in. I can foresee them simply being painted along with the armor by most. Personally, I like the idea of having 4 holes on each side of each plate to thread leather piping through to get the effect of a different finish but I don't think we want to be that specific.

Of course there's always the option of using a flat/satin red paint over the greeblies after final clear coat to dull them out but how many GMLs are actually going to look for that, especially if it isn't laid out in the CRL? If we're ok with them being the same gloss finish then it's moot anyway.

Shikkakku
Detachment Leader
TKID: 63613

Post by Shikkakku »

andyman97 wrote: ↑Thu Jul 06, 2023 4:07 pm Here I would change from "on each side of the costume" to "located on the wearer's left and right hips" so the location is more specific and you don't end up with someone trying to place the hips 2 inches above the knees. This will provide a more targeted location for the GMLs, as well.
Ok, agreed.
andyman97 wrote: ↑Thu Jul 06, 2023 4:07 pm I would suggest leaving the curve language out altogether and keep it simple by stating that the plates conform to the wearer's hips, especially if it's a point we aren't especially comfortable nailing down in detail.
Makes sense, agree.
andyman97 wrote: ↑Thu Jul 06, 2023 4:07 pm I like this but I think we can be a touch more specific, especially with regards to the size of them. The first thing that comes to mind when I hear string is a thin, braided string which I fear could mislead costumers into actually using a braided red nylon string. If we described it as "4 red strap connection pieces made from either leather or leather like material or the same material as the skirts, approximately 1/2 inch/13mm in diameter and approximately 3-4 inches/76-102 mm long" I think that would put us in a much closer ballpark.
I didn't specify material because based on our screencaps and promo image, one really cannot tell what sort of material they're made of. They could be red shoelaces for all we know, and it would look the same as screen used so long as they are red. If we get a detailed look at the costume on display and actually zoom in on that detail, we can amend the CRL as appropriate.

Similar to what I mentioned in another post, I am leery about specifying measurements since we have no solid reference. Until we get that I think all we can do is the tried and tested "does it look like the screen references".
andyman97 wrote: ↑Thu Jul 06, 2023 4:07 pm
  • There are two raised details near the lower left and lower right corner. These details are two parallel rounded ridges and are angled down towards the middle of the plate.
I would reword the second sentence, for clarity, to say: "The raised details have rounded ridges, are angled downward toward the center of the plate, and run parallel to each other with very little to no space between."
Sure, I can go with that. Agreed.
andyman97 wrote: ↑Thu Jul 06, 2023 4:07 pm Not sure if you want to specify these to have a different/duller finish from the armor... With what we've seen in the current stl and cast offerings, these parts are modeled in. I can foresee them simply being painted along with the armor by most. Personally, I like the idea of having 4 holes on each side of each plate to thread leather piping through to get the effect of a different finish but I don't think we want to be that specific.

Of course there's always the option of using a flat/satin red paint over the greeblies after final clear coat to dull them out but how many GMLs are actually going to look for that, especially if it isn't laid out in the CRL? If we're ok with them being the same gloss finish then it's moot anyway.
No, I think we can just leave them the same as the rest of the armour. The difference in finish is not distinguishable on-screen and if needed we can add a "the most accurate material is..." to the CRL once we have better primary source.

TR-63613- Shikkakku
Paolo M Uy---- "Non Nobis Solum Nati Sumus"

Sovereign Protectors PR- 2020-2021, 2023-2024
Sovereign Protectors DCA: Praetorian Guard- 2021-2024
Sovereign Protectors Detachment Leader: 2024-2025

andyman97
TKID: 42584

Post by andyman97 »

Multi-quotes were getting messy so here is an updated draft with implemented changes. I cleaned up a few spots to make it a little cleaner. Also changed bottom swinging freely from the top to to have the top swing freely of the bottom - I assumed that was what you meant to say since that's what we see in the show when the top plate flops around while he's on his back.

Regarding the measurements, it's fine if we don't include them but putting that they are approximate does allow for wiggle room. There are plenty of CRLs that use approximate measurements for a ball park and the construction notes always specify that measurements are a guide for reference and that everything should fit in scale to the wearer. Just my $.02 but point taken.

Side Hip Plates
  • There are two sets of hip plates located on the wearer's left and right hips. Both sets are composed of a top and bottom plate and have the same finish as the rest of the armor.
  • Both sets of plates conform to the wearer's hips.
  • Top Plate
    • Each top plate is connected to the bottom of the abdomen via 4 red strings/tassels, routed through holes at the bottom of the abdomen and at the top of the plate.
    • There is a large raised rectangle in the middle of the top plate.
    • There are two raised details near the lower left and lower right corner. The raised details have rounded ridges, are angled downward toward the center of the plate, and run parallel to each other with very little to no space between.
  • Bottom Plate
    • The bottom plate is similar in shape to the top plate and does not have the raised rectangle in the center.
    • The bottom plate is attached to the underside of the top plate, close to the middle. It is attached in such a way that the top plate can swing freely independent of the bottom plate.
    • The raised details are present in the lower left and lower right corners and are identical to the details on the top plate.

RedLightning
TKID: 4019

Post by RedLightning »

Sorry Im late to this, ive been in and out lately. Weve had a different discussion in another forum where biceps are being held in place with elastic cord or even TPU filament. However, that said, thats just not what Im seeing here on this edge-on view. I feel that this is either a leather strip. or maybe a strip of red rubber or silicon. The way it curves, and the sheen shows that it has width, perhaps the aforementioned 1/2" (13mm).

The four detail clips remind me of push-through connector clips I've seen. You have to push the connector /clip parts together towards the gap to release it. I think Ive seen these on cars and trucks but Im not sure.

Shikkakku
Detachment Leader

Post by Shikkakku »

RedLightning wrote: ↑Fri Jul 14, 2023 4:20 pm Sorry Im late to this, ive been in and out lately. Weve had a different discussion in another forum where biceps are being held in place with elastic cord or even TPU filament. However, that said, thats just not what Im seeing here on this edge-on view. I feel that this is either a leather strip. or maybe a strip of red rubber or silicon. The way it curves, and the sheen shows that it has width, perhaps the aforementioned 1/2" (13mm).

The four detail clips remind me of push-through connector clips I've seen. You have to push the connector /clip parts together towards the gap to release it. I think Ive seen these on cars and trucks but Im not sure.

The current understanding is that the open section of the biceps have the same undersuiting material spanning the gap and is probably velcro-ed into place. I think we can leave the specific of how it can stay in place (magnets, velcro on undersuit, etc) to the individual as long as it stays where it is.

By strip of rubber, you mean the entirety of the hip plate? Maybe, but in the end as long as the shape is the same and it is finished like the rest of the armour, the material doesn't matter too much. It also has to be a rigid enough material that it won't flex at all during movement.

The primary source I've seen show that the greeblies are almost fabric-y in texture. Its almost like a cross-section of a neck seal, just painted red. In the end as long as the look is the same.

TR-63613- Shikkakku

Hask
TKID: 33633

Post by Hask »

I saw some behind the scenes photos last night. The hip plates are indeed held on by a type of cord that resembled shoe lace material with simple knots tied inside to stop them pulling through. The underside of each plate was also padded.

OrarKad

Post by OrarKad »

Is it possible to share said BTS photos?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Shikkakku
Detachment Leader

Post by Shikkakku »

OrarKad wrote: ↑Thu Aug 03, 2023 5:22 pm Is it possible to share said BTS photos?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I have some BTS photos too and I agree with the lacing. I would even say that the laces resembled the same fabric as the undersuit, so maybe scraps?

Sharing these photos may or may be ok depending on the source- I don't share mine by source request and because it may get people in trouble for sending images they're not supposed to.

TR-63613- Shikkakku