Discussion: Soft Parts

Markonnen

Re: Discussion: Soft Parts

Post by Markonnen »

So after a chance comment on Shauna Trpcic's IG, she has revealed to me that the skirt material is actually Red Ultrasuede.

Paolo will confirm.

Begs the question, is the undersuit the same material?

Don't think I'll be lucky a second time but the plum ultrasuede is a deep red which "may" be close to what we see.

Ruthar
TKID: 12110

Post by Ruthar »

Ultrasuede is massively expensive and a specific brand-name.

I'm wondering is generic microsuede might be usable as a stand-in? Something like this perhaps: https://www.fabricwholesaledirect.com/p ... MHg69YCKh8
Taylor A. Goodson | 12110
DZ | IC(2) | ID(4) | IG | IN(2) | IS | TA(4) | TB(2) | TD | TI(3) | TK(2) | TX
Blue Squadron Pilot | Rebel Fleet Trooper
Northeast Remnant Garrison Commanding Officer
ACD DCA Pathfinders Armorer LPRO

andyman97
TKID: 42584

Post by andyman97 »

Ruthar wrote: ↑Wed May 03, 2023 9:02 pm Ultrasuede is massively expensive and a specific brand-name.

I'm wondering is generic microsuede might be usable as a stand-in? Something like this perhaps: https://www.fabricwholesaledirect.com/p ... MHg69YCKh8
I ordered some this morning, I think it should be a good sub. I've got a bunch of stuff to update my build thread tomorrow, too.

andyman97

Post by andyman97 »

Reading up on ultrasuede, it is a brand name fabric manufactured by Toray. There are different configurations but they are all polyester with a urethane binder. That seems to be the only real difference I can see between this fabric and the micro suede.

Here is a product detail page of the 12 oz fabric. They look to be very similar.
https://www.ultrasuede.us/products/hp.html

kandosii

Post by kandosii »

You can order swatches from the ultrasuede makers, so I did and they’ll be here sometime this week I imagine.
Once I get them I’ll take some pictures and then hunt around for similar fabrics and directly compare them. And see if we can come up with any good alternatives.

OrarKad

Post by OrarKad »

Is it just me or does the rear cape-like portion seem to be a different material than the rest of the skirt? it seems to be wrinkling differently than the other parts, maybe more flexible or lighter material

andyman97

Post by andyman97 »

Looks the same to me... And it definitely gives off the velvety looks of ultrasuede/microsuede.

From this photo I'm not seeing 4 full panels though, just 2 and the cape...

RedLightning
TKID: 4019

Post by RedLightning »

I managed to get back in the forums after a password reset.
I need to go watch the scene again, but I want to confirm

the "cape" is the section of fabric mounted to the FOTK backplate?
Then there are 4 sections which form the "skirt"?

andyman97

Post by andyman97 »

yep, the cape sits between the back ab section and back armor. As for the number of panels on the skirts, I think the assumption has been that these are the same as TLJ Praetorians which have 4. But looking at this reference, I don't see 4 panels, I see a front and back panel with a cape.

RedLightning
TKID: 4019

Post by RedLightning »

I have rewatched both scenes a number of times, and I dont see four panels either. I see the bit split where the leg can move, and the cape between the back and the ab/back plate hanging down.