Paolo M Uy---- "Non Nobis Solum Nati Sumus"

Sovereign Protectors PR- 2020-2021, 2023-2024
Sovereign Protectors DCA: Praetorian Guard- 2021-2024
Sovereign Protectors Detachment Leader: 2024-2025

andyman97
TKID: 42584

Re: Discussion: Soft Parts

Post by andyman97 »

For the skirt/cape fabric, something I've used previously that I think could be a really good fit is Ponte De Roma. It has a smooth texture without being shiny or reflective. It's heavy weight and drapes very nicely. This particular fabric is 16 oz and does not fray so if there are any unseamed edges, it will work for that, as well.

Here are lightened crops of the poster for the neck and the sleeve at the elbow. These don't appear to me to have the sheen I would expect from a polyester fabric. I would hazard a guess that it's either a plain weave or twill medium weight (8-10 oz) cotton or cotton blend.

I haven't seen any decent references of the pants to even take a decent guess.

Shikkakku
Detachment Leader
TKID: 63613

Post by Shikkakku »

Here's a shot of the pants from episode 8. I agree that it doesn't look like polyester, but that's coming from my limited fabric knowledge so others may have better input.

The arms and the legs show a lot of wrinkling, so I think we can be confident that the undersuit is not skintight. Per promo pics above, it looks like a similar collar to the TLJ-Praetorian where its a mandarin collar that goes up right to the chin, or at least high enough that you can't see the top when the helmet is on.

I don't think we can also tell for sure if it is a one piece or two piece undersuit. Maybe allow for both in the CRL as it won't be seen anyways? Though we know they have to be the same kind of fabric.

Skirt and cape-wise, I really like the ponte de roma. The TLJ-PG skirts were made of wool red cavalry twill which is practically impossible to find outside of the UK, so various alternatives have been used. I myself still have a lot of cotton red cavalry twill that I used for my current PG skirts... I may not be a fan of the colour matching but its heavy enough to drape well so I may try to do something with that for the M-PG.

TR-63613- Shikkakku

andyman97

Post by andyman97 »

I dug out some scrap charcoal Ponte De Roma I had in my fabric bin, I really think this stuff is a winner. It's easy to find pretty much anywhere, it's easy to dye, AND it's affordable.

I came across your comparison thread of the 7.5 oz cotton twill you were comparing to the heavyweight wool cav twill and you mentioned double layers. Were you actually double layering the cavalry twill you used? That seems like it would be extremely heavy at 16 oz fabric especially when adding the weight of the cape on top. You would pretty much need suspenders to keep this right up and in place.

Here is some 8 oz black cotton twill. This is the same fabric I used to make my tie pilot flight suit from. It's 100% cotton, doesn't have a shine or sheen to it and has a sturdiness from the weave. It's also very easy to find in black AND affordable if it's deemed a good choice. Bear in mind this photo is a close up to show the weave. From a few feet away, the weave isn't really noticeable like it is in the photo.

What do we think for the under suit fabric color? In the poster it looks like it has a red tint like perhaps a maroon or burgundy color but in the screen shots (in low light, of course) it looks like it could pass for black...

BigJasoni
TKID: 51923

Post by BigJasoni »

Ok. I'm in. I'll go introduce myself on the forum in a few minutes.

Red Cavalry twill for some reason is more plentiful stateside than all the other colors I've ever looked for. The issue becomes ensuring the color matches and deciding if you want to spend the $$$ on wool or save on cotton. Here's a few links:

First the wool:
https://www.britexfabrics.com/selvedged ... -1345.html

Then cotton:
https://nickoftimefabric.com/products/r ... -sku-6931a

https://stonemountainfabric.com/product ... twill-red/

Personally, when I buy cotton cavalry twill, I go with Bull Denim which has the same warp, weft and weave as cavalry twill. There's plenty of sources out there for Bull Denim.

I'll start checking my sources for more wool offerings, but if you want a true wool cavalry twill, it's going to cost a few pennies.

Shikkakku
Detachment Leader

Post by Shikkakku »

BigJasoni wrote: ↑Fri Apr 28, 2023 6:38 pm Ok. I'm in. I'll go introduce myself on the forum in a few minutes.

Red Cavalry twill for some reason is more plentiful stateside than all the other colors I've ever looked for. The issue becomes ensuring the color matches and deciding if you want to spend the $$$ on wool or save on cotton. Here's a few links:

First the wool:
https://www.britexfabrics.com/selvedged ... -1345.html

Then cotton:
https://nickoftimefabric.com/products/r ... -sku-6931a

https://stonemountainfabric.com/product ... twill-red/

Personally, when I buy cotton cavalry twill, I go with Bull Denim which has the same warp, weft and weave as cavalry twill. There's plenty of sources out there for Bull Denim.

I'll start checking my sources for more wool offerings, but if you want a true wool cavalry twill, it's going to cost a few pennies.
Holy heck, $110 USD/yd?! :sick:

Yeah my current praetorian skirts are cotton cavalry twill. Much more affordable. Considering that for this costume you'll need enough yardage for 4 panels + cape... $$$!

Interested in how the bull denim looks, I'll give it a look-see. Honestly I don't know how we can get exact color matching from screen caps. This might be a "best guess" scenario until we get a chance to get static shots of the costume itself.

TR-63613- Shikkakku

andyman97

Post by andyman97 »

Here's some 12 oz bull denim I have on hand that I got from Big Duck. As you've told me Jason, their dye lots are inconsistent so it's buying white and dyeing it if you went with them especially since they don't have a red anyway.

It's still 100% cotton and just as prone to wrinkles as the cotton cav twill is.
https://www.bigduckcanvas.com/made-in-t ... nim-white/

Trachta
TKID: 10295

Post by Trachta »

I thought the robe for the praetorians in The Last Jedi was boiled wool? I have quite a few screenshots from 2018 when Lucasfilm brought a few of the guards to put on display at Awesome Con in Washington DC. It's not cavalry twill.

andyman97

Post by andyman97 »

The CRL does say wool or wool like material but the issue is the fabric cost. Cavalry twill is available in wool but, as noted above, it's over $100/yd which would be excessive as a basic requirement imo but shouldn't prohibit someone who wants to.

Assuming the verbiage turns out to be the same, the decision as to what is "wool-like" will be up to the GML to decide but getting detachment input is always a good thing.

Shikkakku
Detachment Leader

Post by Shikkakku »

Trachta wrote: ↑Mon May 01, 2023 3:41 am I thought the robe for the praetorians in The Last Jedi was boiled wool? I have quite a few screenshots from 2018 when Lucasfilm brought a few of the guards to put on display at Awesome Con in Washington DC. It's not cavalry twill.
Here's the discussion thread re: praetorian skirting here: viewtopic.php?f=81&t=3280

Essentially if you zoom super close, the wool does look roughened up and fuzzy however you can still see the diagonal weave distinctive of cavalry twill. It was very much a "best approximate match" as real wool cavalry twill is stupid expensive.

I don't even think we can get to that level of analysis with the M-PG as we aren't lucky enough to have a screen-used costume on display to grab source from. Right now I think we can only decide on materials based on:

- Colour match to armour and to a letter extent, to the screen references
- Heft and weight- drape must be as close a match as possible to screen references.

TR-63613- Shikkakku