Discussion: Shins and ankle spats

Shikkakku
Detachment Leader
TKID: 63613

Discussion: Shins and ankle spats

Post by Shikkakku »

Reserved for discussion regarding the Mandalorian Praetorian Guard Shins and ankle spats

TR-63613- Shikkakku
Paolo M Uy---- "Non Nobis Solum Nati Sumus"

Sovereign Protectors PR- 2020-2021, 2023-2024
Sovereign Protectors DCA: Praetorian Guard- 2021-2024
Sovereign Protectors Detachment Leader: 2024-2025

Gaanon
Detachment Costume Advisor
TKID: 45666

Re: Discussion: Shins and ankle spats

Post by Gaanon »

From all appearances these look to be FOTK, but in a “red” coloring. Biggest question I have is the shade. It doesn’t look to be the same as TLJ PG, but I could be wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

andyman97
TKID: 42584

Post by andyman97 »

Here are some refs:

RedLightning
TKID: 4019

Post by RedLightning »

Does this style of shin guard split like a regular TK shin? Or are they different?

andyman97

Post by andyman97 »

They look to be the same as to FOTK shins to me so I'm betting they split in front and back and they clearly have the ankle spats at the bottom. My bigger question is whether they have the greeblies molded onto the outside of the left shin. I've zoomed on the references I've found of the left legs and I can't tell for sure, they're too washed out to make out that level of detail when I try to zoom and brighten them.

Shikkakku
Detachment Leader

Post by Shikkakku »

andyman97 wrote: ↑Tue Apr 25, 2023 3:43 pm They look to be the same as to FOTK shins to me so I'm betting they split in front and back and they clearly have the ankle spats at the bottom. My bigger question is whether they have the greeblies molded onto the outside of the left shin. I've zoomed on the references I've found of the left legs and I can't tell for sure, they're too washed out to make out that level of detail when I try to zoom and brighten them.
Yes they do, kitkats, buckles and the black rectangle detail at the bottom of the shin

TR-63613- Shikkakku

RedLightning
TKID: 4019

Post by RedLightning »

I have just rewatched the scene like 30 times and I swear I see something on the right side of the shin. The light breaks. I know these are just crappy cell phone pics of the screen but I swear I see something here. I believe what you are calling a kitkat is what I see breaking up the light on the mid right shin.
This is after Viszlas Coup de Gras and they turn to walk away. its like a tenth of a second.

And this at the back of the spat almost like a buckle.

Last edited by RedLightning on Tue Apr 25, 2023 5:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Shikkakku
Detachment Leader

Post by Shikkakku »

I don't think the right has a kitkat, at that level of detail it would be obvious. The light reflections on the glossy paint job I think is the source of that split-second artifact.

Edit: see here, screencap from Ep 8 final fight. Right shin is flat and no greeblie. Image
As opposed to Left shin also from Ep8 where all the greeblies are in full display.

And yes, there are buckles on the outside ankle spats per FOTK. They're a lot more detailed and prominent than in the TLJ-Praetorians.
Last edited by Shikkakku on Tue Apr 25, 2023 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: More information

TR-63613- Shikkakku

Shikkakku
Detachment Leader

Post by Shikkakku »

I think we can be pretty certain that the shins match FOTK shins down to the buckle details, kit-kats on the left outer shin and the black recesses as seen here:

A question I thought of is openings; the TLJ-Praetorian does not specify openings, however the FOTK CRL specifies “with the opening on the inside”. Looking at this screengrab, I think I can see a gap where the inside opening is, which I have not not seen in any of the outside-shin seams.
So it makes sense to keep that specification in the CRL.

Thus from the FOTK CRL:

Proposed CRL text (Changes in red)

Shins
  • There are seams on the inside and outside of the shins, with the opening on the inside.
  • A clip greeblie is present high and across the outside seams of each shin.
  • The wearer’s left outside shin includes two vertical thin boxes that are seamless.
  • There is a rounded rectangle at the bottom outer front of each shin, which is visible above the spat. The recessed area is black.
Spats
  • The spats wrap around the lower ankle, just below the black ankle rectangles.
  • The spats are enclosed on the outside of the ankle with a greeblie that overlaps the open
  • side.
    There is a visible seam on the inside of the ankle.
To note, all pieces are to be finished in a glossy red. Unsure if every single armour piece needs this statement, or if we can add it to the beginning of the CRL as a general statement.

TR-63613- Shikkakku

andyman97

Post by andyman97 »

I would typically put a frequently recurring paint color or weathering theme in general construction notes to prevent redundancy.

*Unless otherwise noted, all armor has a glossy, deep red finish.

This would allow the provision for flat black to be specified in the recesses of the chest, back, shins.