Sovereign Protectors PR- 2020-2021, 2023-2024
Sovereign Protectors DCA: Praetorian Guard- 2021-2024
Sovereign Protectors Detachment Leader: 2024-2025

Gaanon
Detachment Costume Advisor
TKID: 45666

Re: Discussion: Breastplate, backplate and abs

Post by Gaanon »

I would call it identical to the FOTK Chest, Back, and Ab with ab boxes. Additionally each shoulder has a “racing fin” on curved plates attached to the shoulder ridge matching the contour of the shoulder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shikkakku
Detachment Leader
TKID: 63613

Post by Shikkakku »

Chest (Front and Back) and Abdomen
Gaanon wrote: ↑Fri Apr 21, 2023 6:34 am I would call it identical to the FOTK Chest, Back, and Ab with ab boxes. Additionally each shoulder has a “racing fin” on curved plates attached to the shoulder ridge matching the contour of the shoulder.
Agreed, the front, back and abs may have been repurposed costume parts from the TFA-TK.
The sides are closed via overlap with the front overlapping the back, with 2x rectangle grooves present on both sides.

Several distinct differences from the FOTk however:
  1. The pieces are finished in glossy red. It has been confirmed that the screen costume has been painted and not cast in the final colour.
  2. The back has all the depressions filled in black, as opposed to just the circular depression with the FOTK.
  3. It is unknown whether the tab on the top of the yoke (see the FOTK) is present in the Praetorians. It doesnt look like it as there is no tab seen on the front promo shots.
  4. There is a “racing fin” on the top of both shoulder yokes. It covers the width of the top of the yoke and extends from around the collarbone all the way to the top bump of the backplate.
    The fin isn’t tall enough to interfere with helmet movement (though depending on how the costumer wears their bucket it might get close) and has a groove around the perimeter, similar to the bottom perimeter of the helmet. It is also not flush to the surface of the shoulder yokes, there is a slight gap as seen in the promo images.
  5. There is no thermal detonator on the back abdomen. I think we would have seen a bump beneath the cape if there was one.
  6. The backplate has a “cape” made of the same fabric as the skirts where the thermal detonator is. This cape isn’t tight to the body and it looks like there is enough of a gap between the bottom of the backplate and the abdomen to allow for the cape to not stick to the body.
  7. The abdomen rides very high up when compared to the FOTK, almost to the point of the abdoment belt boxes touching the bottom-sides of the chestplate. Though this seems to differ between the three guards, possibly due to stuntperson preference?
    ImageImage
    This may necessitate trimming the top of the abdomen to make things fit, depending on the specific kit and the costumer.
As always, strapping and fitting is up to the costumer so long as it hits the usual standards. I also think for CRL purposes just a direct copy of the FOTK CRL with the additions above would work.

TR-63613- Shikkakku
Paolo M Uy---- "Non Nobis Solum Nati Sumus"

Gaanon

Discussion: Breastplate, backplate and abs

Post by Gaanon »

The “tab” in 3 is for supporting the FOTK shoulder bell. I think assembly of the MPG will determine whether the tab is necessary.

Based on the larger gap between the MPG pauldrons and the yoke, I doubt it will be required.

Shikkakku
Detachment Leader

Post by Shikkakku »

Proposed CRL text: (changes in red)

Chest Plate
  • The chest plate overlaps the abdominal plate.
  • The center-top of the chest plate is recessed and black on the side and upward facing edges.
  • A smaller clasp greeblie shall be present on each side of the chest, just inside a small indented area the size of the greeblie.
  • There is a slight groove running vertical on each lateral side of the chest that angles toward the center.
  • Six recessed black ovals are on the wearer’s right side, left of the greeblie. These are either painted black or are cut out and backed with black material.
  • The chest is closed on both sides beneath the arms with the front chest overlapping the back chest.
  • There are two rectangle shapes outlined by a groove on both sides of the front chest plate beneath the armpit.
    REMOVE: OPTIONAL Level two certification (if applicable):
    REMOVE: OPTIONAL Level three certification (if applicable):
  • Grooves on sides of chest should show clear separation.
  • MOVE: Six recessed black ovals are cut out and backed with black material.
Back/Yoke
  • The back plate contains a “O II” design, and both the O and II are black in color.
  • There are no visible seams on the back/yoke.
  • The yoke portion extends over the wearer’s shoulders and curves under the armpits.
  • There is a “racing fin” detail on the top of the shoulder section of the yoke. It extends from the collarbone area to the top of the back raised area and spans the width of the yoke. There is a groove around the perimeter of the detail and it is not tall enough to interfere with the helmet.
  • A support tab extending from the outside top arch of the yoke shall be present. The support tab should be of a sturdy material, white in color.
Abdomen Section
  • The abdomen section must wrap around the wearer’s body without a visible seam.
  • The abdomen has 7 boxes attached that match the order and placement shown against the armor.
  • The large box has a small black recessed square on the lower left to the wearer.
  • The second box to the right of the wearer has a small black recessed rectangle near the top.

• The boxes should sit against the abdominal plate with minimal to no gaps.
  • The seams between the abdominal armor and the 7 boxes should not be filled.
    (Editor’s note: I am not sure what seam the CRL is referring to, I assume it is the slight gap between the boxes and the abdomen and that it should not be puttied such that the boxes remain distinct from the abdomen)

TR-63613- Shikkakku

andyman97
TKID: 42584

Post by andyman97 »

We've also got some tasset/hip armor I haven't seen mentioned elsewhere. Looks like it would be attached to the underside of the abdominal armor.

Shikkakku
Detachment Leader

Post by Shikkakku »

andyman97 wrote: ↑Tue Apr 25, 2023 5:49 pm We've also got some tasset/hip armor I haven't seen mentioned elsewhere. Looks like it would be attached to the underside of the abdominal armor.
Agree, they've been called everything from tassets/fannypacks/purses :lol:

Good point, I think I missed adding the hip armour to a thread. I think because its novel it will require its own dedicated thread to keep things organized. Thank you for the reminder!

TR-63613- Shikkakku

Gaanon

Post by Gaanon »

andyman97 wrote:We've also got some tasset/hip armor I haven't seen mentioned elsewhere. Looks like it would be attached to the underside of the abdominal armor.

I think it was “ignored” because it may have been considered soft parts.

andyman97
TKID: 42584

Post by andyman97 »

Shikkakku wrote: ↑Mon Apr 24, 2023 5:40 am
Back/Yoke
  • The back plate contains a “O II” design, and both the O and II are black in color.
  • The yoke portion extends over the wearer’s shoulders and curves under the armpits.
  • There is a “racing fin” detail on the top of the shoulder section of the yoke. It extends from the collarbone area to the top of the back raised area and spans the width of the yoke. There is a groove around the perimeter of the detail and it is not tall enough to interfere with the helmet.
  • A support tab extending from the outside top arch of the yoke shall be present. The support tab should be of a sturdy material, white in color.
Were you intending to remove the level 3 text for the support tab?
[*]The seams between the abdominal armor and the 7 boxes should not be filled.
(Editor’s note: I am not sure what seam the CRL is referring to, I assume it is the slight gap between the boxes and the abdomen and that it should not be puttied such that the boxes remain distinct from the abdomen)
I think that's exactly what it means. The boxes along the ab armor were (I believe) resin casts that were just painted then screwed into the armor from the inside. That's how the denuo kit is set up, anyway. There's a seam/gap where they join that shouldn't be filled in to make it look like one piece.

Shikkakku
Detachment Leader

Post by Shikkakku »

andyman97 wrote: ↑Thu Jun 29, 2023 3:17 pm
Shikkakku wrote: ↑Mon Apr 24, 2023 5:40 am
Back/Yoke
Were you intending to remove the level 3 text for the support tab?
[*]The seams between the abdominal armor and the 7 boxes should not be filled.
I think that's exactly what it means. The boxes along the ab armor were (I believe) resin casts that were just painted then screwed into the armor from the inside. That's how the denuo kit is set up, anyway. There's a seam/gap where they join that shouldn't be filled in to make it look like one piece.
Yes correct, We see no evidence of the support tab so I think it should be removed. I just forgot to add the REMOVE tag, my b.

Also for the gap, I know for a fact that it is not present on the screen-used ab, nor I can I see it on-screen so I think we can remove it as well.

TR-63613- Shikkakku