Helmet Damage and Touch Up Paint

For patterns, discussion on materials, and places to buy guard related items

VedicDragon

Helmet Damage and Touch Up Paint

Post by VedicDragon »

Is THIS the appropriate style/type of paint for RG repair and touch ups?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... K:MEWAX:IT

The reason I bring this up is due to some slowly fracturing cracks appearing in the left eyeslit-corner of my 'bucket.

Here are two shots of the cornice cracks. This has led to a slighter series of cracks on the paint job which makes me think I may need to sand and repaint after filling in the crack with epoxy or at least "file open" the cracks for a smoother finish when I am done fixing. The pix, despite experimentation with lighting, still look faded which is vexing as they fail to REALLY show the spiderwebbing of cracks in the paint from that cornice. It's not TERRIBLE but it is problematic and enough so that I don't want to haphazardly just -fill in- the cracks with zap-a-gap and supplement with car paint pens and a clear coat finish. I think I may actually have to GET-IN-THERE so to speak and do a complete sanding/filing down of the area and attack it with epoxy, followed by a complete repaint for that smooth, new-car finish.

A side view of the same

Any suggestions? I am trying to take as much input from a variety of sources as possible, considering that these buckets are expensive and I want to avoid repainting the whole thing as much as possible.

Thanks in advance!
:trsuit:

MagnaPrime
TKID: 8285

Re: Helmet Damage and Touch Up Paint

Post by MagnaPrime »

Consider a high gloss putty for motor cycle helmets. I used that to fill in my DP stamp. you'd be able to just fill the crack sand it fill until you're happy with it then repaint that section. Not sure it would work if there is structural warping but if you just need to fill the crack in it should do what you're hoping to accomplish I think.