Shadow Guard build

As seen in the video game "The Force Unleashed". Now an approved costume!

Allan1313
TKID: 97491

Re: Shadow Guard build

Post by Allan1313 »

Shadowhawk01 wrote:
Allan1313 wrote:I use Velcro on the belt to attach the Kama. I think it's actually easier and a little better. Like Stephen said, if your belt shifts up of down it could expose the top of the Kama and reveal the stitch line. Just my $0.02.

Using velcro will probably be the best bet I think. How do you attach the velcro to your belt? I tried to use some self adhesive backed velcro to hold the tongue of my belt without much success.
I used some fabric glue I picked up at Michael's.
Red TFU Guard
Empire City Garrison

Shadowhawk01
TKID: 25106

Post by Shadowhawk01 »

Allan1313 wrote:
Shadowhawk01 wrote:
Allan1313 wrote:I use Velcro on the belt to attach the Kama. I think it's actually easier and a little better. Like Stephen said, if your belt shifts up of down it could expose the top of the Kama and reveal the stitch line. Just my $0.02.

Using velcro will probably be the best bet I think. How do you attach the velcro to your belt? I tried to use some self adhesive backed velcro to hold the tongue of my belt without much success.
I used some fabric glue I picked up at Michael's.
Thanks for that info I will pick some up when I am home on leave in May. :shadow:

Shadowhawk01

Post by Shadowhawk01 »

Well my helmet showed up at the house today, now I just need to pick it up when I am on leave in May and work on it.

Got a question on boots. Would this boot be approvable if I remove the lower strap and can get the relief stap out of the leather?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07C8 ... em_slvf_tm

The only other option is to go with these and I am not sure they would be wide enough to fit me.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/499234595/ ... er_profile

If neither of these would be approvable I would love to heart what the rest of you use for boots.

Crimson8
TKID: 18887

Post by Crimson8 »

Hi I passed on your information and photos to some guards in the team and they had some advise that might help.

First off, the two options you sent are not the best options for approval.

You are advised to get hold of some actual equestrian riding boots. Amazon has them under Men’s horse riding mounted police patrol tall boots. It has a small strap at top but it’s very inconspicuous.

Guard adviser stated “The actual riding boots need to be properly sized and fitted. And since they are leather they have a break in period.

By getting some cheap boots to just get approved in he can save up and then get the good boots and break them in etc and be comfortable.â€Â

However as an alternative there is a boot from Funtasma by Pleaser Men’s Halloween captains boot. That’s on amazon and is a cheap way of getting approval while you save up later for the riding boots. Actual equestrian boots are usually just over $200 USD so expensive but of course good quality.
AUSSIE AOTC ROYAL GUARD: Raising the forcepike in Tasmania

Maxall
TKID: 71576

Post by Maxall »

So, those are approvable? The zipper is fully viewable from the back

From CRL:
Officer Boots
Knee-high, black, lace-less, smooth non-textured, leather or leather-like material.
  • Rubber is not acceptable.
    PVC or synthetic material is allowed as long as it gives the appearance of leather.
There are no stretch panels, buckles, snap tabs, or decoration.
Boots have conservative heels.
If zippers are present, they are hidden on the inner part of the boot shaft.
  • Not visible from the front, side or back.
The top of the boots may be flat or Spanish Style, but not Cowboy or Super Hero (pointed at the front) style.

Am I just not reading/understanding the CRL correctly?

Shadow Guard - (5 Protection Details)

Shadowhawk01

Post by Shadowhawk01 »

CrimsonGuard wrote:Hi I passed on your information and photos to some guards in the team and they had some advise that might help.

First off, the two options you sent are not the best options for approval.

You are advised to get hold of some actual equestrian riding boots. Amazon has them under Men’s horse riding mounted police patrol tall boots. It has a small strap at top but it’s very inconspicuous.

Guard adviser stated “The actual riding boots need to be properly sized and fitted. And since they are leather they have a break in period.

By getting some cheap boots to just get approved in he can save up and then get the good boots and break them in etc and be comfortable.â€Â

However as an alternative there is a boot from Funtasma by Pleaser Men’s Halloween captains boot. That’s on amazon and is a cheap way of getting approval while you save up later for the riding boots. Actual equestrian boots are usually just over $200 USD so expensive but of course good quality.
Thanks for the info on the boots. The biggest problem with going with equestrian boots is that I would have to get them custom made due to the size of my foot and calf's. I have already tried sourcing a pair and with the exception of the custom route there are none in my size and that takes the price into the $300 - $400 range. I wear a 13EEE shoe and have just over 22" calf's almost all of the boots I have found only go to size 12 med with a 19" calf so you can see my delima here.

I have looked at the Funtasma boots on ebay and they are also to narrow in the foot and calf. The boots I mentioned from etsy are the same design and almost identical cut as the Funtasma boots but are wider and the boot shaft will fit my calf. The only real visual difference is the soles seem to have a deeper tread pattern on them. I realize that you guys are the SME's here and ultimately you will be approving my costume so I am asking all the questions I can before I run out of options and have to go with custom made riding boots.

The boots from JediRobeUK on etsy

And the Funtasma boots on ebay
Image Image

Allan1313

Post by Allan1313 »

Try looking at Soviet boots, these are the ones that I use. I like this style much better as it doesn't have a zipper. I know you said you have wide feet, I can measure mine and see if they may work for you.

http://www.sovietboots.com/long-boots/9 ... oots-.html
Red TFU Guard
Empire City Garrison

Shadowhawk01

Post by Shadowhawk01 »

Maxall wrote:So, those are approvable? The zipper is fully viewable from the back

From CRL:
Officer Boots
Knee-high, black, lace-less, smooth non-textured, leather or leather-like material.
  • Rubber is not acceptable.
    PVC or synthetic material is allowed as long as it gives the appearance of leather.
There are no stretch panels, buckles, snap tabs, or decoration.
Boots have conservative heels.
If zippers are present, they are hidden on the inner part of the boot shaft.
  • Not visible from the front, side or back.
The top of the boots may be flat or Spanish Style, but not Cowboy or Super Hero (pointed at the front) style.

Am I just not reading/understanding the CRL correctly?
OK now I am bit confused, by what you are saying the Funtasma are not approvable per the wording of the CRL but have seen them suggested on other threads as well.

Shadowhawk01

Post by Shadowhawk01 »

Allan1313 wrote:Try looking at Soviet boots, these are the ones that I use. I like this style much better as it doesn't have a zipper. I know you said you have wide feet, I can measure mine and see if they may work for you.

That would be a great help, I would greatly appreciate any assistance you could offer. I see they have a pair in my size but how is the calf diameter and are they tall enough? They don't look like they are knee high.

Allan1313

Post by Allan1313 »

Shadowhawk01 wrote:
Allan1313 wrote:Try looking at Soviet boots, these are the ones that I use. I like this style much better as it doesn't have a zipper. I know you said you have wide feet, I can measure mine and see if they may work for you.

That would be a great help, I would greatly appreciate any assistance you could offer. I see they have a pair in my size but how is the calf diameter and are they tall enough? They don't look like they are knee high.

So I have the size US 12.5 and am 6'2" tall. As you can see from the picture they are only a few inches from the bottom of my knee cap.
They are approximately 18 3/4" tall and the inner measurement around the top is approximately 16 1/2". Hope this helps :trsuit:
Red TFU Guard
Empire City Garrison