Royal Guard Take 2

As seen in the video game "The Force Unleashed". Now an approved costume!

Kalrir

Royal Guard Take 2

Post by Kalrir »

Hello all! I'm well underway on my TFU guard build, working with an experienced 501st neighbor who has multiple approved kits so I feel like I'm in capable hands! I had a post for a ROTJ build, but once I found out I could sport the velvet cloak over top armor I was sold on this build. That said, I have a few questions I was hoping to clear up before pressing on with the project.

As I understand, the Red variant CRLs are under construction, which leads me into a question about colors. First, it states a red visor is required but reference pictures from the game & costumes I've seen suggest a black one on the red guard while then shadow guard has the red visor. Is this intentional or just unchanged?

"Outer robes: Outer robes should be constructed of red velvet or velveteen; inner lining must be constructed of black cloth material..."

Then the same question again but regarding the velvet cloak. The CRLs currently say it should be lined in a black material. Is this accurate? Or should the liner match the stylings of other guards e.g. burgundy velveteen? Should it be made from the same fabric as the belt cape?

I've seen some threads mentioning that the shoulder straps should be nylon webbing or some such, and not TK style. We have some TK straps ready to go, will these not be approvable?

Does anyone have recommendations on where to get the guard specific imperial belt?

Finally, I was wondering if anyone could share insight on how their ab plate is worn. Do you fasten it to the belt? Is it hanging down from the breastplate with straps? Any tricks to keeping the belt flush with the plate?

Thanks for the help!

Jatharious
TKID: 76538

Re: Royal Guard Take 2

Post by Jatharious »

Salutations.

Visor Color: Going back and looking at the pictures from the TFU game guide, you are right, they are black.
As to the color difference, detachment command would be the best people to ask.

Outer Robes: According to the last revised update, yes. Outer robes should be constructed of red velvet or velveteen; inner lining must be constructed of black cloth material. These robes are to be done in the Episode 2 style: AOTC robes, with the following modifications. A single slit is to be added in the center of the back so as to be able to wrap the back of the robes around the hands, with the front robe section going over the shoulder on right.
As to your Kama, that should be made from a material that is the same as your under suit, and not your outer robes.

Shoulder straps: you mean the shoulder bells? They are similar to TKs but are different. Shoulder bells are shaped to mimic the visual reference and must have a duckbill style based on Storm Trooper shoulder bell. This includes the Storm Trooper raised detail that slopes down smooth to the duckbill section of the shoulder. If you have problems finding some, you might try looking up Lukannon Armory on Facebook.

Belt: The belt you want is a standard Imperial Officer belt. You could try Anvos. I got mine from Ebay.

Ab Plate: Mine is attached to the breastplate with straps. As to keeping it flush, you tuck your ab plate in behind your belt.

The one thing that might help, the difference between the three TFU guard builds, is the armor color and the color of the Kama. So if you can't find the answers for the TFU royal guard, you can look on the TFU Shadow guard build specifications.

I wish luck on your build and hope that goes well.

LuciousTalvloinne
Former DL
TKID: 4126

Post by LuciousTalvloinne »

The Game Model will surpass anything from the guide. Shadow and Red have a red visor the Senate has a Black Visor.

Webbing would be the best route to go due to the TK Shoulders rasing the helmet how it sits. Also in the Game Model there is no TK strap.

Standard Imperial belt with grooves on upper and lower minus the Snap.
Lucious Talvloinne TR-4126 (Stephen Davenport)
Costume Referencer 08-09 Detachment XO 09-10 Detachment CO 10-11 Detachment CO 11-12 Detachment XO 12-13 Detachment XO 13-14 Detachment X0 14-15 Detachment Mentor 15-17 Detachment CO 17-18
Owner of Carnor Jax - Captain Argyus - Revenge of the Sith Royal Guard - Force Unleashed Royal Guard

Kalrir

Post by Kalrir »

Alright, we'll move forward on webbing. We actually dug up some black seatbelt lengths that are a perfect width for the shoulder tabs.

I'm still not following on the red visor though. Everything I'm pulling save one exception has what looks to be a black visor. One of these was pulled from a mod that states it was an exact port of the ingame model.

ImageImage
ImageImage

This is the only source I can find supporting the red visor option

LuciousTalvloinne
Former DL

Mods are not always the best use with a game model. I've dabbled with that with some of the Arkham models.

This Texture Map is pulled from the TFU directory. It is a darker Shade of Red and the section is lighten a bit to show the Characters face.

If you have any other questions please ask. We are here to assist.
Costume Referencer 08-09 Detachment XO 09-10 Detachment CO 10-11 Detachment CO 11-12 Detachment XO 12-13 Detachment XO 13-14 Detachment X0 14-15 Detachment Mentor 15-17 Detachment CO 17-18
Owner of Carnor Jax - Captain Argyus - Revenge of the Sith Royal Guard - Force Unleashed Royal Guard

Kalrir

Post by Kalrir »

Ah! That clears it up then! I was under the impression a similar visor to the Shadowguard was meant by red. I had actually put out feelers for a texture map because I had a suspicion this might have been the case. Are there any suggested routes for going about getting that dark red?

And as for the outer cloak. It didn't specify the lining material. Is there a recommended fabric for the lining? I would assume matching the black fabric of the flightsuit would have the most synergizing effect, but I don't know how well that'd pair with velvet.

Thank you all for the help. These were some of the hard questions keeping us from progressing further. I should have actual progress pictures up this coming week. We're just waiting on boots to fit the leg armor with before painting.

LuciousTalvloinne
Former DL

The outer robe is completely optional. You will need the standard armor photos for approval with the cloak in the fighting configuration for later. Gaberdine bottom weight that matches the velvet of the other is what you are looking for.

Alot of folks will use a mirrored red visor to block the eyes from folks seeing them.

Kalrir

Post by Kalrir »

Progress update!

Right vambrace still needs to be finished, working on strapping for the shins. Belt is a placeholder from my rebel until my imp belt comes in. Helmet's sitting high, need to trim down the padding. The green tape is the proposed cut line on the cowl. Going to take the suit in a bit through the midsection I think. How is the fit on the limbs? Will be mounting the shoulder bells with velcro sewn to the suit.

LuciousTalvloinne
Former DL

The mid section seems a bit undersize compared to the TK chest. Can you measure each strip section and measure the length of the chest. Here is a reference of my pre painted assembly.

Kalrir

Post by Kalrir »

The ab plate is 7x10 1/2"
The middle strip is 2 1/2" wide.
The outer strips are 1/2"
The armor maker said he's had this kit approved before, but he'll adjust his mold if need be.