costumes guidelines, how strict are they?

For patterns, discussion on materials, and places to buy guard related items

sebcote

costumes guidelines, how strict are they?

Post by sebcote »

I'm a bit confused, I'm seeing guard oufits with helmets that don't even come close to matching the outer robes and sashes that don't seem to be the same color as the inner robe and here I am busting my heads trying to find the right suppliers for the different components for this costume, it doesn't help that I'm a bit of a perfectionist and want to follow the guidelines to the letter but it seems that many guards are getter away with murder, can anyone shine a light on this.

Sascha_Wilsing
Former DL
TKID: 12112

Re: costumes guidelines, how strict are they?

Post by Sascha_Wilsing »

CRL are as strict as your gmo makes them strict.

stripes
Former DL
TKID: 3676

Post by stripes »

Sadly as Sascha has pointed out, the standards are only as strict as your local GML keeps them. We as a detachment have always pushed for GML's to uphold the highest standards and meeting what is laid out in the CRL's as approvable, unfortunately, not every GML does this.

LuciousTalvloinne
Former DL
TKID: 4126

Post by LuciousTalvloinne »

While the GML is the last person who you talk to on approval of the costume. Always look to the Detachment for their feedback on your build. The Detachment is always your best place for information on said costume.
Lucious Talvloinne TR-4126 (Stephen Davenport)
Costume Referencer 08-09 Detachment XO 09-10 Detachment CO 10-11 Detachment CO 11-12 Detachment XO 12-13 Detachment XO 13-14 Detachment X0 14-15 Detachment Mentor 15-17 Detachment CO 17-18
Owner of Carnor Jax - Captain Argyus - Revenge of the Sith Royal Guard - Force Unleashed Royal Guard

cooldevo
TKID: 12380

Post by cooldevo »

LuciousTalvloinne wrote:While the GML is the last person who you talk to on approval of the costume. Always look to the Detachment for their feedback on your build. The Detachment is always your best place for information on said costume.
This. I personally did up my WiP, and once I was happy with the feedback I got I sent in approval pictures and included the link to my WiP thread in the submission.

IMHO, if the detachment says it looks fantastic, the GML shouldn't have too many reasons to deny it. And I would say the same for the inverse. If the detachment says something (or several somethings) need to be tweaked/fixed/upgraded to meet the CRL, the GML shouldn't be able to approve. GML standards can vary between the people that fill the roles over the years in a garrison and the influence of the garrison/squad command.

IVLIANVS

Post by IVLIANVS »

Is it also possible that you're looking at older member photos that were approved before costume standard changes? The CRL does change from time to time. In fact at least two of the RG were updated early this year. So, a costume approved just 4 months ago may not be approved today.

I can also imagine there might be situations where a person would update their costume, but the official profile pictures don't get updated. Is that also possibly what you're seeing?

LuciousTalvloinne
Former DL
TKID: 4126

Post by LuciousTalvloinne »

The GMLS are to use the The costume models as a reference. They should always refer to actual movie costume references as the actual key. Per the LFL/Disney Rules the 501st is not allowed to use Movie reference photos as reference in the actual CRL. That is the end of the Discussion. If you have any further questions please personally message me.
Lucious Talvloinne TR-4126 (Stephen Davenport)
Costume Referencer 08-09 Detachment XO 09-10 Detachment CO 10-11 Detachment CO 11-12 Detachment XO 12-13 Detachment XO 13-14 Detachment X0 14-15 Detachment Mentor 15-17 Detachment CO 17-18
Owner of Carnor Jax - Captain Argyus - Revenge of the Sith Royal Guard - Force Unleashed Royal Guard