Force Pike 3D files?

For patterns, discussion on materials, and places to buy guard related items

Echo
Detachment Webmaster
TKID: 12132

Force Pike 3D files?

Post by Echo »

I'm in the process of building an AOTC guard, and I'm on the hunt for bits, pieces, and so on. I did some searching for the parts on the how-to guide, and they are painfully difficult to find in Canada. A member of my garrison has kindly offered to take care of some 3D printing, but... I can't find any files readily available. I've done some scouring of the forums here, and I can't find anything, so I'm either blind (distinctly possible) or they don't exist. Or someone has them!

So... does anyone happen to have them, or know where I can get them? Whether it's the whole pike or just parts that have to go on a staff of some kind doesn't matter.

Thanks!
---
Emily McRae
GEC/GWL - Outer Rim Garrison
DPRO/DWM - Sovereign Protectors

cooldevo
TKID: 12380

Re: Force Pike 3D files?

Post by cooldevo »

Cabbage farmer sells completed pikes and parts. I made most of mine out of a ski pole and bought the emitter tip from him. Price with shipping for the tip was quite reasonable, even with a lousy Canadian dollar exchange rate. I really like the look of his tips, and as it's machined metal it has a really nice look that goes nicely with my aluminum ski pole.

Aside from that, thingverse website may have some plans, but they don't seem to be used looking in very many WiP threads. Pikes (especially the emitter tips) do get banged on door frames, walls, and a lot of other things. I'm not a 3d printing expert, but I don't know how well the material would hold up if it were to bang a door frame as you were walking through. Would be something worth looking into before spending any money to print.... there are different qualities of material, but I don't know what their durability is.

Greggvh
TKID: 51901

Post by Greggvh »

I have created 2 pikes by 3d printing. I cant seem to post pics so if you want to PM an email address I can send you pics.

As for holding up. They will hold up just as much as an aluminum pike if not better.

cooldevo

Post by cooldevo »

Did you print them with aluminum colored material? If not, how did you get the metal looking finish? I had figured they'd need to be painted to look aluminum; which if you smack a wall/door/object/et. the paint could chip/crack even if the pole doesn't get wrecked. A few troops ago I whacked a door quite hard with my ski pole. It had some marring on it, so I spent about 30 seconds with some high grit metal sandpaper and it was as good as new. No painting or other touch up work required.

It really boils down to personal preference really, if you can find a good 3d file it should work just fine. I like the very easy maintenance (most importantly to me, no painting) where just some light sanding has fixed all my problems so far. And if you wait until the spring when ski poles go on clearance you can find great prices. Especially since you aren't looking for quality ski poles for skiing, you want to strip it down to the bare aluminum.

Greggvh

Post by Greggvh »

So yes the paint is a problem. The paint that gives that chrome look does not like to be touched nor does it like to be clear coated. I need to get to a body shope and see if they can paint it and clear it.

Yes then you do have the problem that if you hit it hard enough it would have to be painted again bit if its auto body paint and clear coat it should take a pretty good beating.

But also think of it this way if I do drop it and it breakes I just print a new part for like a dollar. Drop an aluminum one and dent it and you have to buy that part.

I am going to work on getting the images hosted and post them.
Last edited by Greggvh on Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Greggvh

Post by Greggvh »

These are all my own designs....

3d Printed Force Pikes(PVC and CUE sticks used)

3d Printed DH-17

3d Printed Thermal Detonator - Fully functional sound and lights. Click on the link and I think it will take you to the actual video.
https://flic.kr/p/RHXCu1

cooldevo

Post by cooldevo »

That looks quite nice, good job on those!

I guess you'd be one of the experts to talk about 3d-printing pikes. Congrats! ;) ;) ;)

themacalu
TKID: 43210

Post by themacalu »

Greggvh wrote:I have created 2 pikes by 3d printing. I cant seem to post pics so if you want to PM an email address I can send you pics.

As for holding up. They will hold up just as much as an aluminum pike if not better.
Don't suppose you offer them for sale? Been looking for a 3D printed one for trooping.

Instagram.com/DarthBisduk