Padding and visor from a motorcycle helmet

For modifying the Don Post helmet, adding the extras for a Crimson Empire helmet, as well as painting, padding, speakers, fans, etc.

Evan1701
TKID: 81989

Padding and visor from a motorcycle helmet

Post by Evan1701 »

So I was in a motorcycle accident several years ago, and for whatever morbid reason I decided to keep the helmet that saved my life.

I suddenly realized a few nights ago that there were some items I could totally salvage from the helmet! Namely, the padding and the visor.

http://i.imgur.com/UiifMTC.jpg

I test fit the padding in the helmet and put it on... it's like an extension of my own head. Beyond comfortable. (Disregard the "prescription visor", I'm getting contacts on Friday!!!)

http://i.imgur.com/4Ea6O10.jpg

So my question to you guys is, what is the best way to secure the padding to the helmet?

And as for the visor, I want to cut it in the shape of the existing visor and tint it. Do you guys have any suggestions on the best way to cut this? I planned on tracing the existing visor over the motorcycle one, but I don't have any serious tools beyond the basic wrenches, hammer, etc. so that's as far as my knowledge goes. I have friends with all sorts of cutting tools, though.

For the tint, do you guys think it's worth trying to get the mirrored red finish? The dark tint seems straight forward, but I would have no idea how to get to end up red and mirrored.
Evan Schrantz
Garrison Tyranus- Serenno Squad
TR-81989- ROTJ Royal Guard
BH-81989- ESB Boba Fett
DS-81989- TFA Kylo Ren
TI-81989- FO TIE Pilot
ID-81989- Director Krennic/R1 ISB Officer

delabane

Re: Padding and visor from a motorcycle helmet

Post by delabane »

I need to add padding inside my Rubies Supreme Royal Guard helmet as it’s got a lot of space. I was going to use double sided Velcro to hold the padding, so that I can easily take it out in the future if needed.

For my other helmet which is a Shadow Guard, it came with a red film lenses (and as you could see my features) I added a silver mirrored visor insert. It looks brilliant and you can no longer see my features but everything is red.

cooldevo
TKID: 12380

Post by cooldevo »

For mirror tint, there are two choices:

1) lots of places online that sell it. If there is a car shop that does window tinting you could probably find some as well.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/RED-SOLAR-REFLEC ... 0709563631
https://www.abodewindowfilms.co.uk/prod ... 8d115eb4b3
https://www.alibaba.com/showroom/mirror-tint-film.html

2) Or use a piece of regular ABS and dye it red (using RIT or another dye), then add mirror tint..

As you will generate a lot of condensation inside the helmet (much less airflow than a motorcycle helmet), you'll definitely want it removable. Velcro would be the easiest way to do that. My recommendation would be to add as little as possible as it will likely get damp from the moisture in your breath, and will retain heat. The RG helmet as no venting and really lousy airflow. Comfort is one thing, but try wearing it in full costume for a couple of hours and see if you still think the same. If you do, then you should be good.

Evan1701

Post by Evan1701 »

cooldevo wrote:For mirror tint, there are two choices:

1) lots of places online that sell it. If there is a car shop that does window tinting you could probably find some as well.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/RED-SOLAR-REFLEC ... 0709563631
https://www.abodewindowfilms.co.uk/prod ... 8d115eb4b3
https://www.alibaba.com/showroom/mirror-tint-film.html

2) Or use a piece of regular ABS and dye it red (using RIT or another dye), then add mirror tint..

As you will generate a lot of condensation inside the helmet (much less airflow than a motorcycle helmet), you'll definitely want it removable. Velcro would be the easiest way to do that. My recommendation would be to add as little as possible as it will likely get damp from the moisture in your breath, and will retain heat. The RG helmet as no venting and really lousy airflow. Comfort is one thing, but try wearing it in full costume for a couple of hours and see if you still think the same. If you do, then you should be good.
On my "to do" list before my first troop next month is a new visor that is spaced out a small amount with magnets to allow for some air flow. I've seen suggestions on this forum to that extent. I may end up routing tubes from one of those portable AC units up to the helmet as well, that seems to be popular.

I spoke to a coworker about cutting the motorcycle visor and he wasn't sure if there's a good way to do it. It's really thick plastic, and super tough since it's meant to resist (and did indeed do so) an impact. Since the visor from Fenix props is only about $17, I could see myself doing that instead and spacing it out with magnets. My current visor I ruined with superglue trying to put it in, and I ruined it further by scratching it trying to take the superglue off with acetone... :?
Evan Schrantz
BH-81989- ESB Boba Fett
DS-81989- TFA Kylo Ren
TI-81989- FO TIE Pilot

delabane

Post by delabane »

Evan1701 wrote:

I spoke to a coworker about cutting the motorcycle visor and he wasn't sure if there's a good way to do it. It's really thick plastic, and super tough since it's meant to resist (and did indeed do so) an impact. Since the visor from Fenix props is only about $17, I could see myself doing that instead and spacing it out with magnets. My current visor I ruined with superglue trying to put it in, and I ruined it further by scratching it trying to take the superglue off with acetone... :?
How did you apply the glue? When we glued my mirrored visor insert to the back of the film, we just glued the corners of the <=====> on the overlap that you don't see thru, with a dot from glue gun. If you try and add too much glue for a more secure fixing, there is a greater potential for it to smudge when maneuvering it into position. Keep it simple.

cooldevo
TKID: 12380

Post by cooldevo »

Most automotive and home window tints have adhesive on one side (usually the colored side) so that wasn't a problem for me.

Another option for the visor itself is just buy a piece of 0.06" acrylic. Lots of videos online how to bake and shape it. Took me a two tries to get it right, but still ended up being far cheaper than $17US plus shipping from Argentina. All I used was a piece of 0.06" acrylic, felt, a pair of regular scissors, a baking sheet, and an oven. Many plastic shops will sell their cut-off pieces, the place I got mine from gave me a few pieces for a donation to a charity they support.

You can usually find cut-offs from tinting shops too, but it might be harder to find red mirror for a vehicle. Would still be cheaper than buying a roll when you only need a small bit.

Evan1701

Post by Evan1701 »

delabane wrote:
Evan1701 wrote:

How did you apply the glue? When we glued my mirrored visor insert to the back of the film, we just glued the corners of the <=====> on the overlap that you don't see thru, with a dot from glue gun. If you try and add too much glue for a more secure fixing, there is a greater potential for it to smudge when maneuvering it into position. Keep it simple.
I got a little on my finger and then grabbed the center of the visor to maneuver it. Complete screw up on my part, it was pretty much the first crafts project I've done since elementary school!
Evan Schrantz
BH-81989- ESB Boba Fett
DS-81989- TFA Kylo Ren
TI-81989- FO TIE Pilot