Red Visors

For modifying the Don Post helmet, adding the extras for a Crimson Empire helmet, as well as painting, padding, speakers, fans, etc.

cooldevo
TKID: 12380

Re: Red Visors

Post by cooldevo »

You can also try replacement face shields, from a home improvement store like Lowe's. The issue with them is they are often heat resistant, so will be harder to form to fit the shape needed.

delabane

Post by delabane »

Many thanks all for the advise. Making it does sound cheaper, so long as you do a good job. Once I have the visor, how it the best way to fix it? I have read Rubys can crack in cold weather if you go down the screw option. I am guessing super glue or some other type?

Thanks

cooldevo
TKID: 12380

Post by cooldevo »

That was partly why I suggested to make a mold if you had the skill... doesn't have to be fancy. Then, for a few bucks you buy an acrylic sheet or cut-offs and make up a new one in a few minutes. The only real expense is the red mirror tint, but if you buy enough of it or get enough scraps from a car window tinting shop it should last a while.

If you don't want to use a mirror tint, then get red "Rit Dye More" and you can dye the actual acrylic itself. If you still want a mirror finish, then buy mirror window film (Lowe's sells it for house windows... or Amazon... or many others places) and you'll get close to the same effect.

I then installed Rare Earth Magnets on the inside of my helmet, and then place the visor against them inside the helmet. I then put the other half of the magnets to hold the visor in place. Has never moved on me yet. Rare earth magnets pack one powerful grip. Then if I have to replace them, take off the magnet and the visor just falls out of place. Replace it and reapply the magnets. I also do that if I want to clean the visor... takes me about 10 seconds to remove, clean, and reapply the magnets.