Red Visors

For modifying the Don Post helmet, adding the extras for a Crimson Empire helmet, as well as painting, padding, speakers, fans, etc.

delabane

Red Visors

Post by delabane »

Hello,

Ordered a Rubies Helmet, going to paint it up as a Shadow Guard, can anyone suggest what red visors are normally used? Thanks

LuciousTalvloinne
Former DL
TKID: 4126

Re: Red Visors

Post by LuciousTalvloinne »

What you are looking for is basically an Insert like this

They are usually around $50.

Or you can custom your own. Using plastic, mirror chrome tint and red cellophane.
Lucious Talvloinne TR-4126 (Stephen Davenport)
Costume Referencer 08-09 Detachment XO 09-10 Detachment CO 10-11 Detachment CO 11-12 Detachment XO 12-13 Detachment XO 13-14 Detachment X0 14-15 Detachment Mentor 15-17 Detachment CO 17-18
Owner of Carnor Jax - Captain Argyus - Revenge of the Sith Royal Guard - Force Unleashed Royal Guard

delabane

Post by delabane »

Is that for a motorbike visor?

Thanks

LuciousTalvloinne
Former DL

Football or Lacrosse helmet visor insert.
Costume Referencer 08-09 Detachment XO 09-10 Detachment CO 10-11 Detachment CO 11-12 Detachment XO 12-13 Detachment XO 13-14 Detachment X0 14-15 Detachment Mentor 15-17 Detachment CO 17-18
Owner of Carnor Jax - Captain Argyus - Revenge of the Sith Royal Guard - Force Unleashed Royal Guard

delabane

Post by delabane »

Ahh ok thanks

delabane

Post by delabane »

Been looking on-line for these as American Football is not huge In the UK. Seem quite hard to find so far.

cooldevo
TKID: 12380

Post by cooldevo »

Another option is to take a mold of where your visor will sit using various materials (or freehand it, with caveats) and mold it to shape yourself.
  • Buy a sheet of clear acrylic;
  • bake in the oven to soften it;
  • form to shape on your mold and let it cool; and then
  • apply red car window tint to the inside of the visor.
If you don't want to make a mold you can do it freehand by softening the acrylic and using a sheet of felt to gently shape it directly inside the helmet. BUT need to be careful because:
  • Heat could warp the helmet plastic/paint
  • could push fingerprints or mar the surface easier than over a mold (felt will help with this)
  • Need to be quick, as it will cool quickly enough to make it hard to shape after max 10-15 seconds. That starts from the time you take it out of the oven and any time to get it into the felt and place it inside the helmet
If it goes firm too quickly, you can always re-heat it to soften it up. If you let it get too hot it'll boil/bubble and not be usable.

delabane

Post by delabane »

Many thanks that another option if I can't buy one. :D

LuciousTalvloinne
Former DL

What it would cost you to get the shield you could get the materials to make your own visor and have spare for any issues.

cooldevo
TKID: 12380

Post by cooldevo »

LuciousTalvloinne wrote:What it would cost you to get the shield you could get the materials to make your own visor and have spare for any issues.
This exactly. Since it was my first time doing anything like this it took two failed tries before the third try worked beautifully. First time I pressed too hard and permanently put some fingerprints into it. The second time I didn't press hard enough and marred up one corner. Almost sounds like 'The 3 Bears' story... the third time was just right. The mirror tint goes on the inside of the visor which means the mirror tint will enhance any imperfections if they are noticeable.

The Acrylic can be bought from likely any Lowe's type store or many plastics shops often have extra cut-offs from when they cut pieces for a job. The cutoffs are usually smaller and oddly shaped so can't be reused. The place near me I got it from gave their cut-offs away for a donation to the charity they had chosen. So I donated $5 and they gave me 3-4 pieces. It was really nice acrylic too. The mirror tint should be able to be acquired from any place that does car window tinting... they may also have cut-offs from projects they've done which would make it cheaper than buying a larger piece.

In the end it cost me $5 for the acrylic, about 45 minutes of time, and $1 for the felt. The red car mirror tint came from the vendor that I bought the helmet kit from. Definitely beats the price that a face shield would have cost. A face shield may also still need to be shaped a bit with a heat gun or oven, depending on how flexible it is to fit the loose "v" shape for the visor opening.