Would like some feedback on progress so far

The Red Senate Guard costume as seen in Attack of the Clones

Rookhelm
TKID: 27426

Would like some feedback on progress so far

Post by Rookhelm »

I've already asked my GML, and he's given me some feedback and he also said to come here and ask the same.

What do you think of the cloak? Specifically the seams and length?

What do you think of the underrobe, specifically the belt?

Ignore the boots, they are not the final ones...they're just used for reference.

Thanks for any advice and criticism

Sascha_Wilsing
Former DL
TKID: 12112

Re: Would like some feedback on progress so far

Post by Sascha_Wilsing »

The part in the middle of the belt should be a little bit wider and of the same material as the belt.

Starwarsgeek18
TKID: 10565

Post by Starwarsgeek18 »

I don't know if it's just the lighting, but the material for the outer robe looks a bit light to me.

Rookhelm

Post by Rookhelm »

Starwarsgeek18 wrote:I don't know if it's just the lighting, but the material for the outer robe looks a bit light to me.

It's darker than that...the pictures kept coming washed out. I'll see if I can get a better pic with accurate lighting
Sascha_Wilsing wrote:The part in the middle of the belt should be a little bit wider and of the same material as the belt.
Noted. I still have a bunch of the burgundy fabric left, should be able to change it.

Rookhelm

Post by Rookhelm »

so, the robe maker is under the impression that the colored stripe across the middle is okay, and that several people in Germany and Denmark (with historically strict GMLs) have been approved that way.

I will still probably change it, but didn't know if anyone here had seen this design before.

also, as an aside...does anyone have any recommendation for gloves?

LuciousTalvloinne
Former DL
TKID: 4126

Post by LuciousTalvloinne »

Rookhelm wrote:
Starwarsgeek18 wrote:I don't know if it's just the lighting, but the material for the outer robe looks a bit light to me.

It's darker than that...the pictures kept coming washed out. I'll see if I can get a better pic with accurate lighting
Sascha_Wilsing wrote:The part in the middle of the belt should be a little bit wider and of the same material as the belt.
Noted. I still have a bunch of the burgundy fabric left, should be able to change it.

Obi Needs to be 3" tall with the center obi 1". All need to be matching fabric of the under robes. Gloves need to be Velvet as the same as ROTJ style.
Lucious Talvloinne TR-4126 (Stephen Davenport)
Costume Referencer 08-09 Detachment XO 09-10 Detachment CO 10-11 Detachment CO 11-12 Detachment XO 12-13 Detachment XO 13-14 Detachment X0 14-15 Detachment Mentor 15-17 Detachment CO 17-18
Owner of Carnor Jax - Captain Argyus - Revenge of the Sith Royal Guard - Force Unleashed Royal Guard

Rookhelm

Post by Rookhelm »

LuciousTalvloinne wrote:

Obi Needs to be 3" tall with the center obi 1". All need to be matching fabric of the under robes. Gloves need to be Velvet as the same as ROTJ style.
Thanks for the info.

So, re: the gloves. Velvet, but what color? I've seen some people with gloves matching inner robes, others are just kinda a different, but similar color.

LuciousTalvloinne
Former DL
TKID: 4126

Post by LuciousTalvloinne »

They need to match the inner robe fabric.
Lucious Talvloinne TR-4126 (Stephen Davenport)
Costume Referencer 08-09 Detachment XO 09-10 Detachment CO 10-11 Detachment CO 11-12 Detachment XO 12-13 Detachment XO 13-14 Detachment X0 14-15 Detachment Mentor 15-17 Detachment CO 17-18
Owner of Carnor Jax - Captain Argyus - Revenge of the Sith Royal Guard - Force Unleashed Royal Guard

Crimson8
TKID: 18887

Post by Crimson8 »

How are you progressing? Its not easy getting everything right as I am finding, but keep persevering. Its worth it.
AUSSIE AOTC ROYAL GUARD: Raising the forcepike in Tasmania

cooldevo
TKID: 12380

Post by cooldevo »

Aside from the Obi, the inner robe looks very nice and has a good fit on you. Is the hemline no more than 3" off the ground? It's hard to estimate from the pictures.

For the outer robe, the shoulder seam seems a tad bit too low. It might just be me, but I personally would think the shoulder seam should be a little bit higher closer to the where your actual shoulder would be.

The velvet gloves are a PAIN. I made my gloves out of velvet for my ROTJ, and the seamstress had a lot of problems getting the fit of the glove to match just right because velvet doesn't stretch; like most gloves that have a bit of stretch for putting them on. She ended up getting them figured out perfectly, after about 2-3 earlier attempts.

As an aside, for the glasses, I found a pair of sports glasses (the wrap-around ones) worked amazingly well with the helmet. Because they wrap around your eyes, it will also increase your peripheral vision instead of hitting the edge of the normal frame. Something to consider, if you prescription can fit a wrap around. Give you more room inside the helmet as the corners of my regular frames would bump my visor or get in the way of the helmet itself causing them to shift.

Overall looks quite nice, in my opinion.