Canadian ROTJ

The Imperial Royal Guard costume as seen in Return of the Jedi

dwdj75
TKID: 79994

Re: Canadian ROTJ

Post by dwdj75 »

Starwarsgeek18 wrote:Got my boots tonight!!! Very happy with my purchase, they fit perfectly with my orthotics and are super comfortable!!! Image
Those boots look familiar lol.

As soon as you remove the straps and that awful "fur" top, I recommend getting a suede spray-on protector and putting it on !

I used this ...

Starwarsgeek18
TKID: 10565

Post by Starwarsgeek18 »

Lol yeah, thanks again, best purchase I've made in a long while.

stripes
Former DL
TKID: 3676

Post by stripes »

Starwarsgeek18 wrote:So, after a fruitless search for velveteen at my Fabricland, my seamstress suggested a couple other options, thought I'd run them through here first.

http://www.joann.com/empire-velveteen-f ... en&start=1

https://www.fabric.com/buy/0416182/kauf ... en-scarlet

https://www.fabric.com/buy/0416178/kauf ... n-cabernet

Anything I should avoid?
Fabricland usually carries Velveteen primarily for winter sewing so it would likely be showing up mid-late summer.

As for the other options you have listed, the fabric from Joann's is one of the options many people in the US use. I have not seen the other vendor site before so cannot comment on these pieces specifically. The best bet would be to request swatches of the fabric to see what they actually look like rather than relying on an image posted on the internet.

Starwarsgeek18

Post by Starwarsgeek18 »

So, I was chatting with Jake, the XO of the AO about hearing assistance, and he recommended the Velleman Mk136, any thoughts? Also currently searching hardware stores for fans and the like. Hoping to order my gloves this week, and kind of twiddling my thumbs waiting for velveteen at Fabricland. Also thinking of doing a mock up before the fabric gets in stock to I can just go for it and not miss anything, yay or nay?

Starwarsgeek18

Post by Starwarsgeek18 »

Well, ran to Fabricland today and found some pretty promising results. It is velvet but what the lady was telling me is since it's polyester, it can warm wash and tumble dry, so that's a bonus, also got it on sale for 9 bucks a meter so that's a bit of a steal. Thoughts, the burgundy is on the top and crimson (I think) is on the bottom.
With flash, kitchen light on: Image
Kitchen light on, without flash: Image
Natural light, no flash: Image

stripes
Former DL

Post by stripes »

Starwarsgeek18 wrote:Well, ran to Fabricland today and found some pretty promising results. It is velvet but what the lady was telling me is since it's polyester, it can warm wash and tumble dry, so that's a bonus, also got it on sale for 9 bucks a meter so that's a bit of a steal. Thoughts, the burgundy is on the top and crimson (I think) is on the bottom.
With flash, kitchen light on: Image
Kitchen light on, without flash: Image
Natural light, no flash: Image
With the flash they appear to be the correct colour... with just the natural lighting, the crimson red looks a little dark... the true test would be how does it compare to the helmet

Starwarsgeek18

Post by Starwarsgeek18 »

Doesn't help that it's been raining all day ha ha. Once I get my helmet I'll do a comparison.

stripes
Former DL

Post by stripes »

Starwarsgeek18 wrote:Doesn't help that it's been raining all day ha ha. Once I get my helmet I'll do a comparison.
Send the rain this way... we've been under a heat warning for the past week + with the exception of 2 days where we had violent Thunderstorms

Starwarsgeek18

Post by Starwarsgeek18 »

stripes wrote: Send the rain this way... we've been under a heat warning for the past week + with the exception of 2 days where we had violent Thunderstorms
If you want it you can keep it, we've had so much rain down here it isn't even funny.

stripes
Former DL

Post by stripes »

Starwarsgeek18 wrote:
stripes wrote: Send the rain this way... we've been under a heat warning for the past week + with the exception of 2 days where we had violent Thunderstorms
If you want it you can keep it, we've had so much rain down here it isn't even funny.
Heat warnings for days of 33+.... we could use some rain... cool things down, get the smoke from the BC fires out of the air... get the grass going back to green since most of it is going brown....