Pben' s Shadow Guard TFU WIP

As seen in the video game "The Force Unleashed". Now an approved costume!

pben
TKID: 25828

Re: Pben' s Royal Guard TFU WIP

Post by pben »

Sanding update. I've had a lot to sand on the ab plate and shins armor. The Dremel really helped a lot over here but the last details have to be done by hand force with a 60 grit.

pben

Post by pben »

Loads of sand paper and 3 days after I've started to get a smoother surface and the obvious pinholes started to appear. I managed to get a filling putty that is very easy to work with, even with my fingers which was very good to do because we get the texture feeling of the armor and know better where it needs filling up a bit.

pben

Post by pben »

The filling putty really helped a lot and I'm proud to announce that the ab plate - which looked like a bad cake coverture in the first day after applying the automotive putty - is even, smooth and pinhole free, which is to say ready to apply primer :trsuit:

Last edited by pben on Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jofus

Post by Jofus »

Your progress is looking good. I will be watching closely because I will be working on some of the same parts soonish.

Sascha_Wilsing
Former DL
TKID: 12112

Post by Sascha_Wilsing »

Yes. Great job so far.

pben

Post by pben »

After a lot of sanding, filler coating, sanding again - some parts are ready to get primer. The chins, ab plate, spats and vambraces are ready and I'm happy with the final result. The only trouble are the shoulder bells because I'm having a lot of work to get a round shape but I'm failing to achieve that...I've should not have fold the pepakura base - as I luckily did for the vambraces - because now I have a marked form and I need a round form.

I' ve three options here:
I insist and add some more filler coating - sand - filler - sand until it gets round;
Start a new shoulder bells from the pepakura base;
Buy a pair of Stormtrooper bells and adapt it

Sascha_Wilsing
Former DL
TKID: 12112

Post by Sascha_Wilsing »

Wow.
Good news about this nice progress.

pben

Post by pben »

After considering the pros and cons I've decided to buy the shoulders from a detachment member as also the back plate, which I've already intended to buy from the beginning.

The pepakura models are accurate and I've enjoyed a lot to work them out to build my armor. But the larger pieces like the chest and back could be as costly - resin and filler are not cheap - as buying a low price custom parts. I also had some issues with the shoulders, as referred in the posts above - DO NOT fold the pepakura design of the shoulders and also of the vambraces (that I did not and everything was easier)

Fortunately there are some people making good jobs with vacuum formed armor parts that are cheaper than the more harder and expensive to make fiberglass ones. It's a matter of budget and I was hoping not to spend a lot but having a good quality build - hey I've been growing a wishlist of future to add costumes. Its possible to keep it budget controlled but you have to be patient and learn a lot from this forum.

Well guys it's not over yet. I'll be keeping the updates workflow until approval. Also considering the future generations of Shadow Guards/Royal Guards TFU.

'Loyalty Never Dies'

pben

Re: Pben' s Shadow Guard or Royal TFU WIP

Post by pben »

I' m still waiting for the helmet and chest But hope to do some progress this week:

pben

Re: Pben' s Shadow Guard or Royal TFU WIP

Post by pben »

Build update - At this time I'm making and attaching the straps, snaps, velcros and protecting some inside armor with black velvet adhesive paper.

The new boots should arrive in a week or so.

The helmet should arrive in a 2 weeks time frame.

In my worst wip scenario I expect an application submission on the first week of October, but if everything runs as expected it could be earlier than that :trsuit: