How long?

IrishFett
TKID: 3743

How long?

Post by IrishFett »

Hey I have serached around for a bit and didn't see what the exact dimensions of a pike are. I have a thin lamp pole I found and was thinking about useing that. But off hand how long would you say a pike should be and about how wide shoudl it be? Off hand I have a general idea but was wondering if there is a set measurment. Thanks for the info!!
Cheers! :forcepike: :tr2:

LuciousTalvloinne
Former DL
TKID: 4126

Re: How long?

Post by LuciousTalvloinne »

http://kaminobase.com/forcepike/forum/v ... ?f=28&t=13

That will sum it up for all the needs that you need.
Lucious Talvloinne TR-4126 (Stephen Davenport)
Costume Referencer 08-09 Detachment XO 09-10 Detachment CO 10-11 Detachment CO 11-12 Detachment XO 12-13 Detachment XO 13-14 Detachment X0 14-15 Detachment Mentor 15-17 Detachment CO 17-18
Owner of Carnor Jax - Captain Argyus - Revenge of the Sith Royal Guard - Force Unleashed Royal Guard

IrishFett

Post by IrishFett »

Hey thanks! I have read that thread before and I guess I got my measurments mixed up. So basically we are looking at a pike shaft plus the bottom handel and tip. Off had could anyone say how wide it shoudl be? The lamp pole I am looking at is .5in wide. Any thoughts as to if it is to wide? I guess if it is then I'll thry the fishing pole method. Thanks again for the help!!
Cheers!
Last edited by IrishFett on Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LuciousTalvloinne
Former DL
TKID: 4126

Post by LuciousTalvloinne »

Post with what you are looking at using right now and I'll get back with you.
Lucious Talvloinne TR-4126 (Stephen Davenport)
Costume Referencer 08-09 Detachment XO 09-10 Detachment CO 10-11 Detachment CO 11-12 Detachment XO 12-13 Detachment XO 13-14 Detachment X0 14-15 Detachment Mentor 15-17 Detachment CO 17-18
Owner of Carnor Jax - Captain Argyus - Revenge of the Sith Royal Guard - Force Unleashed Royal Guard

IrishFett

Post by IrishFett »

Thanks! I'll try to get some pics up tonight.

Darth Skellington
TKID: 5932

Post by Darth Skellington »

The original movie pikes were reportedly made out of "deep sea fishing poles." As such, they would have been slightly tapered. Many people use fishing poles (crappie poles), ski poles, or pool sticks, as all can provide the necessary length and a tapered look. Pool sticks are probably the easiest to find, but are actually too wide at the base, making it difficult to come up with grips. Fishing poles can be easy to work with...I have a tutorial in the AOTC pike thread. Might be hard to give it he ROTJ rasp though, but couldn't hurt to give it a quick read through if you haven't already. Ski poles are great if you have access to machining tools, but otherwise might be hard to work with.

The trick with any straight pole is ensuring that it has a tapered look at the point and the pommel. Otherwise you'll look either too fat or end to abruptly at the tip, or be way to skinny where you meet with the grips or pommel.

As far as length, my pike is 53.5 inches long, and I'm 6 feet tall. I hold it on the grip with my index finger pointing down on the activator button. The actual pommel is below my fingertips. This eats up a good 4-5 inches of length, but allows the tip to stick up 6-10 inches above the top of my helmet. Makes for good proportion. How long your pike is will depend on your overall height, factoring in your helmet and holding the grip corectly. If your pike is less than 4 feet, it's probably too short.
Warren Jacobsen - TR-5932
I am the who when you call -- who's there?
I am the wind blowing through your hair.

IrishFett

Post by IrishFett »

WOW...that is exactly what I was wondering about! Ok, so I am going to ditch the lamp pole idea (it was free so no matter) and will try the fishing pole route. Thanks again for the help!
Cheers!
:tr: