Pepakura helmet build

For modifying the Don Post helmet, adding the extras for a Crimson Empire helmet, as well as painting, padding, speakers, fans, etc.

Drakus Cin'Ciri
TKID: 51416

Pepakura helmet build

Post by Drakus Cin'Ciri »

I bought a rubies helmet for my royal guard and it turned out to be to deep. Since I haven't been able to find a single don post for sale I decided I would try my hand at pepakura. I am not new to scratch builds as I built most of the armor for my mandalorian mercs costume but this was my first try at pepakura
ImageImage
Depth comparison: Rubies vs Pepakura
ImageImage
Resined and smoothcast on the inside
ImageImage
Starting to smooth it with apoxie sculpt... much sanding to come
ImageImage

Let me know what you think. I would rather have feedback now as I am still smoothing it than when I try to get approved.

PS: And if anyone wants to trade a don post (or don post sized) helmet for the rubies send me a pm. that would save me a lot of sanding

V-cell
TKID: 12221

Re: Pepakura helmet build

Post by V-cell »

Drakus,

You are probably one of the few that may be able to pull this off. Some have attempted this before, but the end results have not been close to a match. Probably due to the arduous process this requires. However, with the advancements that we see here, it appears you may be able to achieve Nirvana. You will be the first one to know, once the major sculpt is ready.

Be mindful of the sides of the helmet, specifically the part where it comes to rest on your shoulders. It looks like you have a shorter version, similar to that of a Shadow Guard, but not a Royal Guard. It is hard for me to tell, as the majority are side shots and not straight on. If you place a side by side comparison of your Rubies with the pepakura, it would make it easier to make a call.
Alejandro Uribe-Benninghoff
TR-12221

Drakus Cin'Ciri

As requested

Sascha_Wilsing
Former DL
TKID: 12112

Post by Sascha_Wilsing »

OK. The sides are a little bit too small. Please try to make it look more like the Rubies.

Drakus Cin'Ciri

To make sure I understand properly before making changes:
The big problem is that the shoulders are a very steep angle and do not taper out because it follows the TFU model. To remedy I need to extend the shoulder making sure it comes to a more level angle (not completely flat but smaller than the current 45 degree slope)

Yes/no?

JesterTDA
TKID: 9392

Post by JesterTDA »

I do believe the shoulders need to come out more...the helmet your pep file is from looks to be a Shadow Guard which has the cut down shoulder slope. Look at the Don Post for another comparison:

I'm highly impressed with the work so far. I made a pep guard helmet for my son last year (just left it as paper and spray painted it red) so I know the work you've put into it. Good job!

Sascha_Wilsing
Former DL
TKID: 12112

Post by Sascha_Wilsing »

Your thoughts are right Drakus.

LuciousTalvloinne
Former DL
TKID: 4126

Post by LuciousTalvloinne »

A little history: Just like the official build for Stormtroopers in game models have been set to the ROTJ style. The same could be said for the Guard Helmets in the game along with the helmet design in Clone wars with the guard models. They are based on the final version of the guard helmets that were created in ROTS with those helmets being a narrower build.

Return of the Jedi - Attack of the Clones Style

Clone War Guard style

Revenge of the Sith - The Force Unleashed Helmet style

I hope this clears up any questions for anyone on the linage of the helmets.
Lucious Talvloinne TR-4126 (Stephen Davenport)
Costume Referencer 08-09 Detachment XO 09-10 Detachment CO 10-11 Detachment CO 11-12 Detachment XO 12-13 Detachment XO 13-14 Detachment X0 14-15 Detachment Mentor 15-17 Detachment CO 17-18
Owner of Carnor Jax - Captain Argyus - Revenge of the Sith Royal Guard - Force Unleashed Royal Guard

Drakus Cin'Ciri

Sascha_Wilsing wrote:Your thoughts are right Drakus.
Cool beans

LuciousTalvloinne's post brought up a question for me though. This will be a ROTS build and he noted the ROTS helmet as being similar to the TFU and clone wars helmets which appears to be what the Pep file I used is modeled after. So is this helmet style valid for an ROTS build or is the ROTJ and AOTC style standard across the board for 501st approval?

Thank you everyone for the feedback and compliments so far!

Drakus Cin'Ciri

I think I may have found my answer
Because it is Episode III I am aiming for it will need to taper out but to a lesser extent than if it was a II or VI build

Picture reference
Adding about a half inch to each side lowering the slope down should bring it very close to this reference pic