New helmet questions

For modifying the Don Post helmet, adding the extras for a Crimson Empire helmet, as well as painting, padding, speakers, fans, etc.

Kalyarin
TKID: 31442

New helmet questions

Post by Kalyarin »

Greetings all! I was hoping to take the first step in my first 501st uniform by buying my helmet, but I'm really concerned about making a mistake here.

My head is a bit bigger than average, and I'm 5' 9". With a bit of searching around the boards, I believe this is probably my best source for a helmet:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/244147785/ ... e_active_5

I like that it isn't fiberglass, and therefor is less likely to be damaged and more likely to comfortably fit my fat head.

Assuming that is a fine pick for the helmet, where do I find the glass for the visor? Does anyone have an opinion as to if this would be a good helmet or if I should get something different? I saw the measurements post, but wasn't sure I followed everything there. Kind of got the impression that the helmets were all the same size. Any input here would be great :c)

-Kalyarin

StarGuard
TKID: 21689

Re: New helmet questions

Post by StarGuard »

Welcome Kalyarin!

This is my opinion about the helmet:

I've never seen a rubber helmet, but, according to the pics, I think is not a good idea if you want to look as a great Royal Guard.

That material is so hot and thick, I would not buy it. Fiberglass helmet is one of the better materials to build this kind of things... mine has many bumps and it is as a new helmet.

There is a bigger helmet, make by fenixprops (ebay) I don't know if they still sell it, you can ask.

The decision is yours

Cheers!

Sascha_Wilsing
Former DL
TKID: 12112

Post by Sascha_Wilsing »

Since it is rubber and the paint job is bad i would advise you to look for an other option.
I cant tell how thick the rubber is but it is said that this is stretchable.
So you will need a very stretchable and flexible paint to get the color matching your robe.
And rubber is known to get very soft in the heat. So it may happen that the form collapses when you wear it in direct sunlight.
So in my opinion you better stay away from it.

Kalyarin

Post by Kalyarin »

Thanks for the input!

Sadly, no sign of any fenixprops helms. I've heard Rubies helms are good. Any input as to the sizing? There's this one on Ebay, but would hate to buy to find my fat head is too big for it. Wish there some somewhere that I could go try one on.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Star-Wars-Rubie ... Sw9r1V-HsV

-Kal

LuciousTalvloinne
Former DL
TKID: 4126

Post by LuciousTalvloinne »

The rubies helmets will fit larger heads fine.
Lucious Talvloinne TR-4126 (Stephen Davenport)
Costume Referencer 08-09 Detachment XO 09-10 Detachment CO 10-11 Detachment CO 11-12 Detachment XO 12-13 Detachment XO 13-14 Detachment X0 14-15 Detachment Mentor 15-17 Detachment CO 17-18
Owner of Carnor Jax - Captain Argyus - Revenge of the Sith Royal Guard - Force Unleashed Royal Guard

Kalyarin

Post by Kalyarin »

Picked up a Rubies Helm off Ebay and it fits great! Thanks for the input all.

Only issue I see right now is that it is very echoy in there. Any good tips for how to counter that? I was thinking maybe some soft foam lining the helm. I've also remember seeing someone selling hoods to wear under the helmet for padding. Any thoughts on those? Not sure how much that may or not effect the comfort or sound.

LuciousTalvloinne
Former DL
TKID: 4126

Post by LuciousTalvloinne »

Kalyarin wrote:Picked up a Rubies Helm off Ebay and it fits great! Thanks for the input all.

Only issue I see right now is that it is very echoy in there. Any good tips for how to counter that? I was thinking maybe some soft foam lining the helm. I've also remember seeing someone selling hoods to wear under the helmet for padding. Any thoughts on those? Not sure how much that may or not effect the comfort or sound.
I try to not let the voices in the head get to me much. But it does make a nice reverb when you evil laugh at guest while trooping ;) I would just stick to a Balaclava for your head. To use anything more than that in padding would cause you to overheat.
Lucious Talvloinne TR-4126 (Stephen Davenport)
Costume Referencer 08-09 Detachment XO 09-10 Detachment CO 10-11 Detachment CO 11-12 Detachment XO 12-13 Detachment XO 13-14 Detachment X0 14-15 Detachment Mentor 15-17 Detachment CO 17-18
Owner of Carnor Jax - Captain Argyus - Revenge of the Sith Royal Guard - Force Unleashed Royal Guard

JesterTDA
TKID: 9392

Post by JesterTDA »

the Royal Guard helmet is not great for having conversations in. Your voice echos which is problematic but also you can't hear very well so I've stopped trying. I also refuse to put more in that helmet than I need to since it's already hot. The thought of padding it to cut down an echo is akin to putting those chemical pocket warmers in it while you're trooping in July :)