Dutch Royal Guard

The Red Senate Guard costume as seen in Attack of the Clones

LuciousTalvloinne
Former DL
TKID: 4126

Re: Dutch Royal Guard

Post by LuciousTalvloinne »

When you take your approval pictures use natural lighting. As artificial lighting can alter the lighting on the costume.
Lucious Talvloinne TR-4126 (Stephen Davenport)
Costume Referencer 08-09 Detachment XO 09-10 Detachment CO 10-11 Detachment CO 11-12 Detachment XO 12-13 Detachment XO 13-14 Detachment X0 14-15 Detachment Mentor 15-17 Detachment CO 17-18
Owner of Carnor Jax - Captain Argyus - Revenge of the Sith Royal Guard - Force Unleashed Royal Guard

pandora

Post by pandora »

I think the color of the helmet is not yet right. Red must be as identical as possible to the color of velvet.

tk30309
TKID: 30309

Post by tk30309 »

Approval pics send to Dutch Garrison GML!

StarGuard
TKID: 21689

Post by StarGuard »

Good luck!

I don't now what will say your GML, but I think a few of advices are good to know.

From our CRL:

Helmet: Finished in a crimson gloss to match the outer robes.
If the helmet or your last pic is the final appearance I don't see a real gloss, and in that photo outer robe color and helmet color look different.

Outer robe: Constructed of crimson red velvet or velveteen, fully lined in burgundy or wine coloured fabric, preferably velvet, velveteen or Gaberdine that matches the inner robe.
Velour, crushed or panne velvet are not acceptable.
I don't know the material of your velvet. It looks as synthetic velvet. I know that the royal guard costume can be a so expensive costume... especially because the cotton velvet (the best). Maybe in a future you will decide change the kind of velvet as members of our garrison are doing... The cotton is amazing! And expensive :(

tk30309

Post by tk30309 »

lol... exactly that :)

the inner robes, gloves and lining, boots and force pike were good. The pattern, the way everything was sewn together was perfect.

But as StarGuard already wrote, the fabric of the outer robe was not good enough. I did have my doubts when I got the fabric delivered but decided to try it anyway.
Will start to save some money and buy the cotton velvet next month. My mother in law wasn't to happy, but says it should be an "easy" job since she already made it once and has the patterns saved. Here's hoping.

The Helmet does need a high gloss finish. Our GML advised me to wait with applying that until the weather is better. Doing all this in my garden shed and it is currently quite wet and damp outside.

For events where non approved / w.i.p. costumes are allowed he can tag along in the costume as it is now.

I will keep posting progress when there is something to show.

StarGuard

Post by StarGuard »

Ok tk30309!!!

If you need help, contact me... here, in Spain, is so easy find a good cotton velvet, it costs about 22€/m.
Where you from?

Congratulations for the outer look, I like so much find news costumes with the news patterns that we are make for our detachment ;) I will be a so great royal AOTC.

Happy new year!

tk30309

Post by tk30309 »

Thank you Starguard, so kind of you.

I am in The Netherlands. Am currently working on my Kallus but am on the look out for the fabric. I found it on a dutch website for about €35 when I buy 10m length, but am still looking for cheaper :D any (internet) address suggestions welcome

StarGuard

Post by StarGuard »

Spain is cheaper,

I bought my velvet here: http://tiendatelas.com/ (velvet in spanish is "terciopelo"). But now they have not red velvet in the page, but yes in the store. They work with two tones of red: light red and another more intense (as mine).
The problem is that maybe, the colours of this velvet are not the same of your helmet... we must to be so careful with this.

By the way... I have a friend (he is as my brother) living in Netherlands, specifically Maastricht, and he is thinking about make a Kylo (just thinking XD).

tk30309

Post by tk30309 »

Im still working on my Kallus so I will be looking around for fabric a while. I'll check the website you mentioned regularly, might that they will re stock the fabric.
And and apting to color to the fabric isnt that big a deal, have to do some touching up anyway.

Had your friend contacted our Garrison for his build? We already have one awesome Kylo Ren, he might get some good tips from him.
Tell him we'll be at the Dutch Comic Con, he should come see us :)