silverBoyd's RotJ Guard WIP

The Imperial Royal Guard costume as seen in Return of the Jedi

silverBoyd
TKID: 5945

Re: silverBoyd's RotJ Guard WIP

Post by silverBoyd »

still waiting for my gloves to arrive from Germany. It's been 2 weeks since I ordered them. And almost 2 weeks since they shipped. I guess it's taking longer via international shipping. Or perhaps the tracking number hasn't been updated with info. Looking forward to getting them.

While I wait for my gloves to arrive, I finally bought the proper McCalls patterns for my inner / outer robes. Right now, in the U.S., the pattern used for the inner robe (McCall's 2060) is on sale for $1.99 (usually $11.99) http://hancockfabrics.com/search?q=mccalls%202060

They only have a few left in stock at that price. Figured I'd pass it along in case more were looking for the pattern for inner robes.

I also purchased the outer robe pattern - McCall's Evening Gown / Cape Pattern (McCalls Cape Pattern 2810) that I found on eBay for the great price of $8.00 + free shipping. This pattern can be found for $15 and up. I lucked out and found an unused / new pattern for a great price. This pattern I think needs some slight mods to it but I will document all of that when my wife begins to sew it.

Now to purchase the fabric, which I have found a coupon for for my local fabric store. Crossing fingers they have the proper amount needed for the robes.

Another question I have...my usual supplier for blower fans doesn't carry the 12v fans right now. Where do you guys source yours from? I'm looking for a good deal so I can make my fan system for the Royal Guard to hang from my next with the hoses going up into the helmet
Carolina Garrison CO (2014 - Current)
TD-5945 / Sandtrooper
DZ-5945 / Tusken Raider
TR-5945 / Return of the Jedi: Royal Guard
TA-5945 / AT-AT Driver

Sascha_Wilsing
Former DL
TKID: 12112

Post by Sascha_Wilsing »

I got mine from a maker in my garrison.
Maybe you can search for some made for another type of costume in your garrison.

silverBoyd

Post by silverBoyd »

Finally made the purchase of my velvet for the outer robe. I obtained 7 yards of red velvet for $29.99/yd. Luckily it was on sale for $20.99 + I had a coupon for 15% off of the total purchase which brought the final total down to $135. Ouch. This fabric is so expensive. But it looks really nice. My wife helped me decide how much to buy based off of the info from the back of the pattern as well as taking into account that I am 6'-2" tall. Luckily, this velvet was from a 45" wide fabric bolt and I only needed 7 yards. If it had been on a 60" wide fabric bolt, I would've only needed 6 yards.

Here's a picture of the fabric outdoors...

Here's a pic of the fabric indoors...

I think the color looks better in person though. It has a great red color to it. I guess it depends on the light and how the fabric is moving.

The burgundy colored velvet that I will go back to get from the same store I purchased this from looks amazing. When I get paid again next week i will be going to pickup the rest of the fabric I need to do the inner robe, obi-style belt and to line the inside of the outer robe. I need a lot more of that color fabric than I do for the outer robe. I'll need 12 yards of that fabric. It's going to look great when it's completed. I cannot wait.

And now that I have my outer robe material, I can now color match the paint for my helmet.

No picture...but I also purchased my boots yesterday. I think for now I'm just going for basic boot approval and going to be going with the black Jack Boots that they say you can use rather than the red boots. I'm fine with that though. You'll hardly see my feet anyhow. I got a pair of $179 boots on sale for $65.
TD-5945 / Sandtrooper
DZ-5945 / Tusken Raider
TA-5945 / AT-AT Driver

Sascha_Wilsing
Former DL

Post by Sascha_Wilsing »

Great. The velvet looks fine.
And you really got nice prices for it and the boots.

silverBoyd

Post by silverBoyd »

Today on my lunchbreak, I worked out how I'm going to setup my fan system for my Royal Guard. This is all drawn to scale using AutoCAD. It's a little over-the-top but I was bored during my lunchbreak. Hahahaha.

I've already purchased my 12v Blower fans and I will be picking up (2) 2x AA battery enclosures w/ built in switches for around $2.50/each at my local shop. I got a deal on my fans on Amazon and picked up (2) fans for $4.25 (with free shipping). I'm hoping to assemble this this weekend. Stil have to grab some 1" tubing from the shop as well.

TD-5945 / Sandtrooper
DZ-5945 / Tusken Raider
TA-5945 / AT-AT Driver

Sascha_Wilsing
Former DL

Post by Sascha_Wilsing »

Hope it brings enough air through the tubing.
But it looks nice.

cooldevo
TKID: 12380

Post by cooldevo »

May want to give the fans a dry run and see how well the fans can or can't suck air through 3 layers of velvet. I was initially going to do something around my waist, but the fans I have aren't strong enough to pull air through all that material. Especially as the clothes get damp/wet from sweating.

I'm going to be going with an alteration to the back/waist plans where the fans get strapped to my calves/thighs (1 on each leg) and run tubing up into the helmet. Cooler air is usually along the floor and it'll avoid pulling air through thick and potentially sweaty material.

silverBoyd

Post by silverBoyd »

As with my Sandtrooper that I've trooped in for almost 4 years, my helmet fans are there (not as a cooling device) to just allow circulation and to help with fogging of lenses. Inside of a hot helmet it's not drawing too much cool air either. My main concern for the fan system on the Guard is to just allow some air circulation so that I don't just breathe in my own hot air.
TD-5945 / Sandtrooper
DZ-5945 / Tusken Raider
TA-5945 / AT-AT Driver

cooldevo
TKID: 12380

Post by cooldevo »

I do like that setup. It'd be nice to hear back when you get it built as to how well it moves air through the 3 layers of velvet. I assume that it'll be low-profile enough to not be too obvious under the robes?

I had planned initially to pit my two Handy Coolers around my waist, but when I gave it a test run it did not blow much air at all as I could barely feel anything moving. Which is why I decided to put them on my legs as it blows much better with the air it pulls up through the bottom of the robe.

silverBoyd

Post by silverBoyd »

Yeah - I'm going to build this in the upcoming week. Waiting for fans to arrive in the mail. I'll let you all know. It should be low profile enough to not notice underneath my robes
TD-5945 / Sandtrooper
DZ-5945 / Tusken Raider
TA-5945 / AT-AT Driver