silverBoyd's RotJ Guard WIP

The Imperial Royal Guard costume as seen in Return of the Jedi

silverBoyd
TKID: 5945

Re: silverBoyd's RotJ Guard WIP

Post by silverBoyd »

Got these burgundy suede gloves from MaskWorld in Germany. Took 3.5 weeks to get them in the mail. Took forever for them to get through customs. And by checking on their website recently, they are now sold out of gloves. I got the Large size and they fit great and almost go up to my elbows.

The flash on the picture I took makes the gloves have sort of a purple tint but they are burgundy and will go well with the under robe velvet I picked up. I was going to go with the Guard gloves offered bu Imperial Boots but after shipping they would've cost me $100. These cost me $45 after shipping. My GML says they will work well and I've heard from a few other Guards who have the same gloves that say they passed too. Now to just get my robes done and helmet printed and I'll be ready for approval. My birthday is May 5, I'm giving myself that as I date to be approved by. That will give me all of April to finish everything.
Carolina Garrison CO (2014 - Current)
TD-5945 / Sandtrooper
DZ-5945 / Tusken Raider
TR-5945 / Return of the Jedi: Royal Guard
TA-5945 / AT-AT Driver

Sascha_Wilsing
Former DL
TKID: 12112

Post by Sascha_Wilsing »

I use those gloves when it is cold outside.
They are good and have a nice grip.

silverBoyd

Post by silverBoyd »

Finally bought the velvet for the inner robe and sash. The color from the flash on my phone makes it not look like the right color...but in person it is a great burgundy / ruby color. I never imagined the fabric for this to be so expensive. I spent another $140 just on the inner robe and sash velvet. That's not counting the velvet I'll need to line the inside of the outer robe.

And here's a side-by-side of the Outer robe velvet (left) and Inner Robe velvet. Once again, I think the flash from the camera throws off the color tones.
TD-5945 / Sandtrooper
DZ-5945 / Tusken Raider
TA-5945 / AT-AT Driver

Sascha_Wilsing
Former DL
TKID: 12112

Post by Sascha_Wilsing »

Nice colour.
And yes. Velvet can be expensive. ;)

cooldevo
TKID: 12380

Post by cooldevo »

If you want the most accurate pictures for color, take them outside in natural light with no flash. And make sure the nap is facing down, as you don't want the shiny side. Camera flashes really mess up the true color of the velvet.

That's part of the problem I have when I visit my seamstress as it's usually 7:30pm or later so it's usually dark outside.

silverBoyd

Post by silverBoyd »

cooldevo wrote:If you want the most accurate pictures for color, take them outside in natural light with no flash. And make sure the nap is facing down, as you don't want the shiny side. Camera flashes really mess up the true color of the velvet.
Thanks. My wife is still modifying the patterns and starting to make the Outer Robe. Once I'm all finished, I'll be sure to take my submittal photos outdoors so the colors look better.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've had these boots for over a month now. I finally got around to cutting off the extra strap at the top and also removed the ankle strap. Obviously I'm not wearing the red boots for my Guard. The CRL states you can also wear black Jack Boots. I'm going that route. Plus, part of my reasoning for this was to be able to wear the Jack Boots with a few other future 501st rigs like the ANH TIE Pilot and the Scanning Crew. I got these boots for a great deal too. I picked them up (brand new) for only $55. The brand I bought usually retails for $90-$125

TD-5945 / Sandtrooper
DZ-5945 / Tusken Raider
TA-5945 / AT-AT Driver

cooldevo
TKID: 12380

Post by cooldevo »

I was going to go with the black jack boots, for ease of finding and other costume uses, as well. The only concern I had was in the last few words of the CRL:
Boots: Crimson red suede boots, pointed toe, with a relatively conservative heel, no visible straps/buckles, or ornamental stitching; that reach high enough to cover the wearer's ankles.

However, black, textureless, leather/synthetic leather (non glossy) “Jack” boots, squared toe (rounded toe in ladies styles are acceptable), with a relatively conservative heel, no visible straps/buckles, or ornamental stitching; that reach high enough to cover the wearer's ankles are acceptable as a minimum until red boots can be found.
The 'until red boots can be found' was what kept me, personally, from going with the black boots. I don't imagine there's any validation that can be done on that part, though.

silverBoyd

Post by silverBoyd »

I'm sticking with the Jack Boots for now.
DZ-5945 / Tusken Raider
TA-5945 / AT-AT Driver

silverBoyd

Post by silverBoyd »

Been a long time since I posted to this forum. Since my last post, I have been waiting for my patterns to arrive in the mail and for my wife to find time to begin making the robes. Also, I have begun the build on my 4th 501st set of armor...AT-AT Driver. Building this Royal Guard and AT-AT Driver all at once now.

We decided that since the velvet is so expensive, we would do a mock-up robe out of the cheapest fabric we could find. And we did. We found 10 yards of Christmas fabric on clearance for only $2. Sweet. This way, since my wife had to modify the panels for the outer robe she wouldn't have to worry about messing up or cutting up the expensive stuff. After one week of trials, we finally finished the mock-up outer robe. Doing it this way, we know that the patterns she modded will go together properly. Granted, I look like I'm wrapped in my grandmothers drapes, but soon I will be ensconced in velvet like George Costanza on Seinfeld.

Now to do a mock-up of the inner robe and then we'll dive into the real deal. I'm hoping to have mine completed for approvals by mid-to-late May. Fingers crossed.

I'm still not getting a response from the guy who said he would professionally paint my helmet. Hence, the unfinished helmet. I'm now on the search for a local body shop to hopefully be willing to paint it up for me. I hate dragging my feet on something. I like to see things get completed.
TD-5945 / Sandtrooper
DZ-5945 / Tusken Raider
TA-5945 / AT-AT Driver

LuciousTalvloinne
Former DL
TKID: 4126

Post by LuciousTalvloinne »

Mocking up a robe is always a great idea.
Lucious Talvloinne TR-4126 (Stephen Davenport)
Costume Referencer 08-09 Detachment XO 09-10 Detachment CO 10-11 Detachment CO 11-12 Detachment XO 12-13 Detachment XO 13-14 Detachment X0 14-15 Detachment Mentor 15-17 Detachment CO 17-18
Owner of Carnor Jax - Captain Argyus - Revenge of the Sith Royal Guard - Force Unleashed Royal Guard