Outer cloak material

For patterns, discussion on materials, and places to buy guard related items

tk627

Outer cloak material

Post by tk627 »

Where to buy? Does anyone have a specific name or color besides Crimson Red?

LuciousTalvloinne
Former DL
TKID: 4126

Re: Outer cloak material

Post by LuciousTalvloinne »

This is a triple red velvet swatch
Lucious Talvloinne TR-4126 (Stephen Davenport)
Costume Referencer 08-09 Detachment XO 09-10 Detachment CO 10-11 Detachment CO 11-12 Detachment XO 12-13 Detachment XO 13-14 Detachment X0 14-15 Detachment Mentor 15-17 Detachment CO 17-18
Owner of Carnor Jax - Captain Argyus - Revenge of the Sith Royal Guard - Force Unleashed Royal Guard

Ang
Former DL
TKID: 6624

Post by Ang »

http://www.distinctivefabric.com/fabric ... ct=VELVET1

This is one of the more affordable places to get triple velvet. It's synthetic, but trust me, you DO NOT WANT to pay what they want for cotton or silk. Plus, silk is way too shiny.

For the outer robe, you want red on this site, and for the lining and inner robe, you want dark burgundy.

My robes are velveteen, which is also acceptable, but I plan to get some swatches and see what looks better IMO for my remake. Swatches from this site are free.

I hope that helps!

Peregrinus

Post by Peregrinus »

I get my red and dark burgundy plush triple velvet from Sy Fabrics. He also has black (Shadow Guards, Carnor Jax) and royal blue (Senate Guards).

I've also gotten other things from him, like the stretch vinyl I use for my belt cover and bodysuit stripes, and on and on.

--Jonah
"The Royal Guards on the bus go '..., ..., ...; ..., ..., ...; ..., ..., ...'" :tr:

-- Overheard at Celebration IV

Ang
Former DL

Post by Ang »

Gonna add Sy Fabrics to the master list.

Darth Skellington
TKID: 5932

Post by Darth Skellington »

I received swatches from Distinctive Fabrics today. :) FYI, you can get up to 10 swatches from them for free, so I figured...why not Black, Burgandy, Red, and Navy all at once. I also got Royal....which is Royal Purple...NOT Royal Blue. This is apparent when you check out, but not when you are adding stuff to your cart. I was too lazy to remove it from my cart.

Oh..the swatches measure about 3.5" X 5" each.

They look pretty good to me...I'd have to compare them to something else to make a judgement call.
Warren Jacobsen - TR-5932
I am the who when you call -- who's there?
I am the wind blowing through your hair.

Ang
Former DL

Post by Ang »

I got my swatches from Distinctive fabrics as well...GO WITH THE VELVET NOT VELVETEEN.

Their velveteen is cheapo...in fact, it's making me question what my current robes are. I have some pics, I will post tomorrow...

Peregrinus

Post by Peregrinus »

Ang, do you want swatches from Sy Fabrics' velvet, too? I still have plenty of scraps. :)

--Jonah
"The Royal Guards on the bus go '..., ..., ...; ..., ..., ...; ..., ..., ...'" :tr:

-- Overheard at Celebration IV

Ang
Former DL

Post by Ang »

Absolutely, I'm always looking to compare.

Darth Skellington
TKID: 5932

Post by Darth Skellington »

Hey Jonah, I recived your swatches today...huge thanks!

Both brands of velvet are about the same color, texture, and thickness of pile. However, there is a noticible difference in ther eflectiveness/sheen. Here's a comparison:

Distinctive Fabrics velvet has very little shine to it. The color is uniform from virtually any angle, and you get a sheen off only the ridges of any folds you make while moving the fabric about.

Red velvet....like above, uniform color, little sheen...looks good.
Dark Burgandy velvet....uniform color, little sheen, but in cmparison, very little "color". It looks very dark, like a plum, and IMO I think what you see is more of the backing color showing through than the actual velvet.

Sy Fabrics, on teh other hand, ha a more noticeable sheen. When you moive the red under the light, whatever SIDE is facing the light picks up a sheen, not just the edge. The Distinctive red does teh same thing I guess, but the sheen is more subdued. I'd say the Sy red looks more like a red lint brush that I own. The Distinctive red seems just a tad softer in feel.

The Sy dark burgandy is much better in appearance than the Distinctinve, IMO. I chalk this up to the color...you can actually see the dark burgandy (purple) color of this fabric, while the Distinctive burgandy just looks dark with a hint of color.

This comparison is made under fluorescent lights. I'll take another look tomorrow in the sunlight.

Right now, I'm pretty sure I want Sy dark burgandy. I'm torn on the red, but leaning more towards Distinctive red.

Ultimately, the sheen is the primary visual difference, and I don't think you could go wrong with either company.
Warren Jacobsen - TR-5932
I am the who when you call -- who's there?
I am the wind blowing through your hair.