ROTJ CRL Updates

The Imperial Royal Guard costume as seen in Return of the Jedi

JesterTDA
TKID: 9392

Re: ROTJ CRL Updates

Post by JesterTDA »

Very nice, great email...now I'm going to get a clip and some fishing weights to do some tests...

Picture stolen from the Facebook group, thanks TR-10174 for having a perfect pose!

Ootini
TKID: 41908

Post by Ootini »

Had a thought. Instead of fishing weights what about the small magnets the tk's use with their armor even??

V-cell
TKID: 12221

Post by V-cell »

Hello fellow guards. I guess it can't get better than this, so I would like to share with you the "official" communication from the maker herself. Hopefully, more to come ;)

Brandon Alinger
To Alejandro Uribe-Benninghoff

Here is some initial info from Laurie Haluska:

I remember that we cut the front panels of these glorious red robes on the bias so they would cowl nicely. And that the silk velvet wasn't wide enough for the front panel to hang all the way from the neck to the floor so we had to seam two pieces together, diagonally across the front and have the seam sewn expertly enough, so it did not pucker, and was invisible to the camera. I don't remember if we had a pleat or two right at the neck in the shoulder seams under the helmet. I have some velvet and can play with it and see if i can get the same draping. However, it may be a week before I get to it, as this coming week I am finishing and shipping 15 ballgowns to Dallas..

Brandon Alinger
Chief Operations Officer LA
Alejandro Uribe-Benninghoff
TR-12221

Sascha_Wilsing
Former DL
TKID: 12112

Post by Sascha_Wilsing »

Thanks Alex for the great update.

LuciousTalvloinne
Former DL
TKID: 4126

Post by LuciousTalvloinne »

Well this book has helped open a new light and furthering the mystery of the Jedi Guards.
Lucious Talvloinne TR-4126 (Stephen Davenport)
Costume Referencer 08-09 Detachment XO 09-10 Detachment CO 10-11 Detachment CO 11-12 Detachment XO 12-13 Detachment XO 13-14 Detachment X0 14-15 Detachment Mentor 15-17 Detachment CO 17-18
Owner of Carnor Jax - Captain Argyus - Revenge of the Sith Royal Guard - Force Unleashed Royal Guard

JesterTDA
TKID: 9392

Post by JesterTDA »

Interesting

Gruff
TKID: 11014

Post by Gruff »

Here is a screen capture from ROTJ showing a flat chested RG. I must insist that this be allowed in the new CRL.

V-cell
TKID: 12221

Post by V-cell »

Hello Gruff,

My impression, and please notice this is just a guess, is that the guards robes were built two different ways. The main reason: screen time and budget. The material is not cheap and when you combine that with time constraints, budget, production and shots....well, you make the best with what you have. I will try my best to get to the bottom of it, but the images we see do not lie. Both options appear to be true.
Alejandro Uribe-Benninghoff
TR-12221

exar
TKID: 13927

Post by exar »

After reading the book, and looking at the pictures that are there, I have to agree, that there was likely more than one style of the robes done. The beautiful full shot of the guard Doesn't look like a ROTJ guard to me. It looks more like the AOTC guard with the way that shoulder overlaps. The under robes in this picture are also very clearly the same color. Which they are not when seen on screen, or when you read her description.

In the book she mentions that the helmet is held to the robes by a dog collar clasp, I'll bet that is how the drape was accentuated. I am NOT advocating attaching the helmet to the robes as that boarders on suicidal. But pinning up the shoulders should help to do the same.

In my robes I created the drape affect by having elastic go 3/4 around the neck whole leaving the front loose.

For lack of a better picture You can see mine with the waves, while my partner has vertical pleats

The argument can be made that there are references to both wave, and flat. Like wise there is plenty of evidence that shows yes the guards wore red visors, however there is plenty of other lucasfilm approved images with black visors.

The boots are never shown on screen, So I honestly dont care and would rather wear black, despite my red ones.

cjfrancese79
TKID: 89620

Post by cjfrancese79 »

After reading all the posts, I started trying different things to achieve the look. I pinned up some pleats to achieve the drape effect and thought it started to look ok.

BUT, when I put on the robes, with my shoulders and chest filling it out, everything flattens.

Christopher Francese
TR/TI/IC/IG 89620
Northeast Remnant