Starting down the Guard road

The Red Senate Guard costume as seen in Attack of the Clones

Aardvark
TKID: 73875

Starting down the Guard road

Post by Aardvark »

Got a chance to try on a DP helmet today at a troop. It fits me really well. I figured now that I know that I can start my WIP thread here. Fair warning this is going to be a long running thread without immediate results.

The helmet I tried on was somewhat flexible, surprisingly. Is that normal for the DP? I can't quite remember what the person said it was made of.

Second, could someone pm information about other helmets that are roughly the same size? I decided to forgo the RS helmet I originally thought I would look for. Something a little easier to find than DP would be nice :D

Third the CRL says that the robes need to have the appearance of shoulders. Is it acceptable if I just wear something like TK shoulder bells under the robes?

LuciousTalvloinne
Former DL
TKID: 4126

Re: Starting down the Guard road

Post by LuciousTalvloinne »

Shoulders would refer to shoulder padding to make yo u look broader.
Lucious Talvloinne TR-4126 (Stephen Davenport)
Costume Referencer 08-09 Detachment XO 09-10 Detachment CO 10-11 Detachment CO 11-12 Detachment XO 12-13 Detachment XO 13-14 Detachment X0 14-15 Detachment Mentor 15-17 Detachment CO 17-18
Owner of Carnor Jax - Captain Argyus - Revenge of the Sith Royal Guard - Force Unleashed Royal Guard

Sascha_Wilsing
Former DL
TKID: 12112

Post by Sascha_Wilsing »

I think normal shoulderpads in the robe will do the thing.
It is all about the overal look of the robes on you.
If you have brought shoulders you wont need them.
But the use of TK shoulders under the robe will be difficult and uncomfortable.
And the dont have to be seen.

Aardvark

Helmet opinion

Post by Aardvark »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Star-wars-don-p ... 35e78a6436

I need opinions please. Is this real?

Cabbagefarmer
TKID: 7617

Post by Cabbagefarmer »

I can´t do a recommendation as the don post helemts I know have a very small shape and they´re hard to wear if your head is as huge as mine. BUT anyway it´s a nice prop to have for the personal collection OR for anybody who has the talent to modify the helmet for his/her personal concerns.

LuciousTalvloinne
Former DL
TKID: 4126

Post by LuciousTalvloinne »

While the Don Post was a good helmet for the time it was created, its not really the most practical for trooping. It is made of Vinyl Plastic, which is very temperamental when it comes to the weather condition Elements. As much as going from anywhere from warping in shape and design to cracking over the years of sunlight.

Helmet in box

They are slight small and tight fitting for an adult head. Also the Visor section needs to be cut out and the Red Plastic film replaced with a more Practical Lense. (Over the years the Detachment has gone for the Red Mirrored Visor option to keep with the Red look of the visor with the Mirrored section to help with keeping with the mystery of the costumers eyes to the public)

There are Resin and Fiberglass versions of the guard helmet that are more durable than the Don Post depending on your price range of your hobby.
Lucious Talvloinne TR-4126 (Stephen Davenport)
Costume Referencer 08-09 Detachment XO 09-10 Detachment CO 10-11 Detachment CO 11-12 Detachment XO 12-13 Detachment XO 13-14 Detachment X0 14-15 Detachment Mentor 15-17 Detachment CO 17-18
Owner of Carnor Jax - Captain Argyus - Revenge of the Sith Royal Guard - Force Unleashed Royal Guard

Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

I have actually tried on a DP helmet twice now and it fits really well. Which other helmet manufactures make them in a similar size? So far that is the only DP that I have seen, and the only helmet that I know of that fits me. I tried one from another maker at some point, but it was really huge. Other than that I know nothing about Royal Guard helmets. :) I don't want to end up purchasing wrong, because then the costume won't get built for a long while.

JesterTDA
TKID: 9392

Post by JesterTDA »

Without knowing the actual measurements of a DP helmet I couldn't tell you for sure since all I've every heard is, "They're on the smaller side." From what I know the FP helmet from South America is the largest (or one of the largest) out there so if the DP fits, I'd steer clear of that. If the DP fits, great...go for it. Just be aware that there are known issues which may pop up (such as warping). Treat it well, and make sure the robes and the helmet match color and you fix the visor and you're good to go.

Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

I got my Royal Guard bucket and I need help. I know that the visor hole needs enlarged and its got a warped shoulder. How do I best fix both of these issues?

Here are the pics
https://www.flickr.com/photos/trilliannr/17171153845/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/trilliannr/16983413848/

Sascha_Wilsing
Former DL
TKID: 12112

Post by Sascha_Wilsing »

Only way i know to get rid of the warping is heating it up and bend it.
But be VERY careful with not making it too hot as it will be then easily destroyed.