Visor questions

For modifying the Don Post helmet, adding the extras for a Crimson Empire helmet, as well as painting, padding, speakers, fans, etc.

sithTASTIC!!!

Visor questions

Post by sithTASTIC!!! »

Hey guys. So I was doing some test pics with my Rubies style bucket on awhile back and of course I could see my eyes through the visor. I've been meaning to get a darker visor and I'm not quite sure where to start. I did find some from FP on the net. Its dark and smokey but I'm not what condition it is under camera flash. How do I solve this particular situation?

Also I notice for the Rubies helmet the visor its attached by small screws into the plastic. if I re-install a new one would I reuse the screws or use an adhesive.

I'm open to all recommendations :trsuit:

Gruff
TKID: 11014

Re: Visor questions

Post by Gruff »

I used some slightly reflective window tint on the inside of my visor.

Alternatively, replace the visor, but don't use the screws as they have a habit of cracking the plastic of the rubies. Instead use hot glue or rare earth magnets.

stripes
Former DL
TKID: 3676

Post by stripes »

For securing the visor with the screws, it depends on the thickness of the visor material as the holes are pre-drilled to fit only the stock screws. This limits the thickness of the visor replacement options as if you use thicker replacement visors you are likely to crack the helmet if you use different screws as Gruff has pointed out.

As far as the FP visor goes, I had one in my old Don Post helmet. The only thing I would caution people with when using a red tinted visor is it completely changes your perception of the environment around you as colours are no longer what they are to people not looking through the visor. If you do not have an experienced handler this can be a major safety issue.

Alternatives that have been posted about are window tint and football visor inserts that are a red mirror finish.

sithTASTIC!!!

Post by sithTASTIC!!! »

Cool.What about the smoky version FP. is that any better? where can I aquire window tint? Do I apply it to the visor?

stripes
Former DL
TKID: 3676

Post by stripes »

While the smoke is an acceptable option, the red visor is what is considered screen accurate. Of late several members have been using a red mirror finish football visor insert to get the red visor while maintaining better visibility as another option.

As for attaching window tint, several members have done so (including JesterTDA)... I am sure that they'd be willing to help provide more information on the subject if they haven't already done so in various build threads here on the forum.

Gruff
TKID: 11014

Post by Gruff »

Any place that does window tinting for cars occasionally has offcuts that can be purchased. All you to do is wet one side and apply with a cloth smoothing out the air bubbles. Once it has dried you then trim off the excess.

kept_in_danger
TKID: 10174

Post by kept_in_danger »

I have also used carwindow foil on the inside of the original visor.
Works fine, just make sure not to mess up the placement and be quick to rub out any air bubbles.
You are unwise to lower your defences!

ballanor

Post by ballanor »

stripes wrote:While the smoke is an acceptable option, the red visor is what is considered screen accurate. Of late several members have been using a red mirror finish football visor insert to get the red visor while maintaining better visibility as another option.

As for attaching window tint, several members have done so (including JesterTDA)... I am sure that they'd be willing to help provide more information on the subject if they haven't already done so in various build threads here on the forum.

Any idea where to get these red mirror finish football visors? Looking for stuff online with no luck.

Also is it really THAT hard to function with the red visor and it being harder to see objects etc.? I don't have a 'spotter' or anything, after I finish my visor I will be applying to join. It really bugs me to not be screen accurate with the smoky visor compared to the red visor. I have great vision and balance etc. But If it is really that difficult I guess I will go with the smoky visor

Either way I need to make/attach the visor and I am done with my costume. Not quite sure how to do it.

JesterTDA
TKID: 9392

Post by JesterTDA »

You'll see stuff just about the same with red as you would with smoke..which is to say not great. I found the red to be distracting and actually tiring for my eyes. Perhaps I've just gotten used to the costume now but the smoke visor is so much more enjoyable for me being able to actually see correct colors.

ballanor

Post by ballanor »

Yea I would probably agree as well. I can imagine it would definitely strain your eyes.

I guess the other question is, since the smokey is approved for the 501st, do you ever get other members or fans saying like "Oh that is technically inaccurate" or anything like that. That would probably bother me, I personally wouldn't mind the smokey visor, but if I have other people questioning it, that would bother me. If that isn't an issue I will just go with the smokey for comfort and safety lol

Thank you for the info!