Opinions needed! (Boots, gloves, draping...)

The Imperial Royal Guard costume as seen in Revenge of the Sith

Keyla

Opinions needed! (Boots, gloves, draping...)

Post by Keyla »

Hi all,

I'm uncertain right now if I will go for ROTS or AOTC - it all hinges on the boots (I would love to wear ROTS because of the red boots).

Therefore I'd appreciate your input on the following:

1) Are any of the following boots acceptable for ROTS:
Note: The colour is like a dark crimson, definitely darker than the helmet but not rusty. I am uncertain about the heel, is it too high?

Note: This is a medium grey - I would attempt to dye this red. Hopefully the fact that it is grey will give a darkish red, but perhaps too red... If anyone has dying experience and has insight, I'm definitely willing to listen!

http://www.zalando.se/gioseppo-crudel-k ... h-g11.html
Note: I havent seen the above shoe in person, so I have my doubts about the colour - is it worth a try?

http://www.zalando.se/zign-overkneeskor ... 9-g11.html
Note: What about this colour?

2) Are the gloves on the left acceptable for AOTC, and the ones on the right acceptable for ROTS? Here is also a second photo of the maybe-AOTC gloves.
Left "AOTC" gloves: The colour looks ok (wine/burgundy) but it has some ruffling on the wrist area, which has a scrunching sort of effect. The glove also does not come very far down the wrist, but it does cover them.
Right "ROTS" gloves: The colour may be a bit too light (it is a shade darker than "bright red") and they don't either go far up the wrist.

3) Draping of the robe on the chest below the helmet.
In some photos of ROTJ you see a fantastic draping of the robe upon the chest area. (Image)
Is this kind of draping acceptable for AOTC or ROTS? While the CRL doesn't say one way or the other, I think it is worth asking because a little draping looks great (and may offset my "female characteristics" somewhat. I would like to disguise it a little if possible).

4) Attachment of sleeves for AOTC.
The CRL does not state how the sleeves shall be joined. There is a post on this forum indicating an overlap according to the following image, but is this still deemed correct?

stripes
Former DL
TKID: 3676

Re: Opinions needed! (Boots, gloves, draping...)

Post by stripes »

To answer your questions....

1. Boots:

The first option would not work as there is too large a heel on the boot. The heel should be conservative. The second boot would work shape wise, but I don't know if you'd be able to successfully dye it to the correct red and not end up having red feet each time you wear them after that.

2. The gloves:

The gloves for the AoTC would work as long as they are the same colour as the fabric of your inner robe and obi belt. The RoTS gloves are more of a gauntlet style and should reach past the wrist but not longer than the middle of the forearm. The example you posted would be too short to meet this criteria.

3. The draping:

The first photo you posted is for RoTJ style guards so does not apply to either AoTC or RoTS styles. The second photo you posted is a very old pre-production photo of a variation that was not used. The correct pattern for the robes should match the following example from the Lucasfilm archives exhibit:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater

Keyla

Post by Keyla »

Super-insanely-helpful, Stripes! This gives me a far clearer picture of what I am aiming for - will keep you posted with my progress :)

Keyla

Post by Keyla »

A friend just directed me to the following:

#1 - they're plain enough and seem like they might have enough wrist, but is the colour ok?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fownes-Womens-C ... her+gloves

#2 - the colour looks great and the length is probably fine. Obviously, the cuffs would not be turned like in some of the images but would rather be left so they are long:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00A6HF57K?psc=1

What do we think? :)

stripes
Former DL

Post by stripes »

As with anything on the web, the photos aren't the easiest to get a gauge on how they will look in person. You could try them, but I can't say one way or the other with any sort of certainty as they provide no images of the gloves actually being worn.

Keyla

Post by Keyla »

Thanks so much for all the opinions so far, it's been tremendously helpful! I wonder if you have any thoughts on the below shoes?

Note:The heel here is subtle. The black zip isn't great, but it is on the inside. Note that there is some functional stitching but unsure if it is a dealbreaker. The colour is not a bright crimson, but is definitely more red than the picture implies. If needed, I can take a photo of this in natural daylight tomorrow (but being Sweden, we don't have very good natural daylight this time of year!).

Note: The heel is still pretty subtle. The inner zip is red, which I like. Again there is some functional stitching, which I hope isn't a problem. The colour is absolutely fantastic, a darkish crimson. Also, they're so comfortable that I could troop forever in them.

stripes
Former DL

Post by stripes »

The black zipper on the first ones is a no go. The second pair would work

Keyla

Post by Keyla »

Then I have my dream boots - cheers, Stripes!

Keyla

Post by Keyla »

Found some new gloves and I think they're good - they're long, they're dark red, and no decorative features. Do they work, do you think?

Here you can see the length:

Here's a closer look:

LuciousTalvloinne
Former DL
TKID: 4126

Post by LuciousTalvloinne »

Those gloves will work fine for the ROTS version of the guard.
Lucious Talvloinne TR-4126 (Stephen Davenport)
Costume Referencer 08-09 Detachment XO 09-10 Detachment CO 10-11 Detachment CO 11-12 Detachment XO 12-13 Detachment XO 13-14 Detachment X0 14-15 Detachment Mentor 15-17 Detachment CO 17-18
Owner of Carnor Jax - Captain Argyus - Revenge of the Sith Royal Guard - Force Unleashed Royal Guard