First Attempt at ROTJ RG build

The Imperial Royal Guard costume as seen in Return of the Jedi

rledaman

First Attempt at ROTJ RG build

Post by rledaman »

Hello Protectors,

Brand new to costuming, unfortunately. So I am creating a thread to post what I have been able to do and you can help give me advice and get me started :)

I have done a ton of research and haunted these boards for the past few months before I started my build.

I saw from one of Ang's posts that she has used SyFabrics for her fabric, so I have a couple of feet of fabric from them in the red velvet. They were out of the burgundy so I haven't acquired that.

I have also already purchased 2 of the little mini ACs that people suggested on the helmet cooling thread on these boards.

That, so far, is the extent of what I have. I have a friend who likes crafting tools and weapons so I can probably manage a forcepike without too much extent. But I have never built a costume before and really don't even know where to start.

Any tips for what I want to pay attention to when trying to sew the robes?

As for the helmet, I am so lost. I can't vacuform and I don't have any skill with making such things. I looked into what helmets are out there and TPE was recommended many times but I am not sure that I can dip into the funds for a TPE helmet without ruining my chances of making to Celebration Anaheim.

*sobs into his hands* I need a Jawa or two to go out there and strip me a few good parts. :jawa:

Gruff
TKID: 11014

Re: First Attempt at ROTJ RG build

Post by Gruff »

You're on the right track. Keep looking around the forums. There are some patterns for robes I have come across. If you haven't had much experience with sewing though, I would say be extremely careful. Velvet is not that easy to sew and it could end up costing you a lot more if you make mistakes. Ask your family and friends who having sewing experience to help you out.

With regards to the helmet. A Rubies is prob the best way to start as you can pick one up for about $240 shipped. Other than that, try getting one that is not painted and that will save you a lot as you may have to paint the helmet to match the robes anyway. There is a guy on ebay whose mold looks quite good and the helmet is only $140 (just search royal guard helmet). If you want 501st approval and have no experience with vacform of fiberglassing, I would not try to attempt a build yourself.

Boots are easy. Plain black work boots or jack boots are the cheapest option. If you're lucky you can pick a pair up at a market for about $30. If not try apparelsave, they have a lot of bargains.

Gloves can be either velvet or suede, so it's a matter of personal choice. Here is a link for burgundy ones that I found: http://www.maskworld.com/english/produc ... dy--103116

stripes
Former DL
TKID: 3676

Post by stripes »

As with anything on Ebay... it's buyer beware.

As for the boots... the black boots should be a laceless, jack boot style, not work boots as the sole will not correctly match visual references with no extrenuous stitching. There are many available variations and options out there.

As has been pointed out... research, research and more research.

Gruff
TKID: 11014

Post by Gruff »

When I said work boots, I meant like these ones that I bought for $54 from apparelsave, that were advertised as work boots:

rledaman

Post by rledaman »

I have been scrolling through the forums for a few months now. I have some information and some ideas, but there are a few things I am still unsure of and I don't want to mess this up.

I have about 6 yards of red velvet from syfabrics for the outer robes. Should I get the inner robes from a different type of fabric? I saw Stipes mention a type of fabric starting with G(?) but I couldn't actually find that fabric for sell. How much fabric should I get, since I am going to line the outer robes with the same fabric?

Also, how hard is it to paint the Rubies helmet if I snagged just that helmet off of Amazon? -- I know the soft parts are useless, but its said the helmet is okay.

Is there a pattern already made for a ROTJ robe set? I scrolled through the forums but got lost and couldn't find a ROTJ pattern handy. I did find some for other versions, but not ROTJ.

Thanks for the help for this poor costuming newbie

stripes
Former DL

Post by stripes »

The amount of fabric you need will depend on your physical build. For me personally, the outer cloak took 10m of fabric for both the outer and lining, and then the inner robe was on top of that. Someone smaller than I am wouldn't necessarily need that much fabric (I'm 6'3" and 265lbs with a 52" chest... former hockey ref).

As to the fabric type, you are looking for Gaberdine or a similar heavy weight fabric to achieve the proper hanging/draping look. A lighter fabric will bunch up inside the cloak and not hang properly among other problems.

As far as painting the Rubies helmet, it should be a matter or sanding and a bit of elbow grease. You'll want to wait to paint it until you have your fabric so you can match the colour of the fabric to the colour of the paint... not the other way around.

rledaman

Post by rledaman »

Okay, not a good post.

Got a "Rubies Supreme Edition" helmet, except for I think that I got deceived. From the posts here, the Rubies is a decent helmet. The one I got is not. It has bubbles and a crack, and it looks like it is formed crookedly.

What do you think? Should I send it back as damaged and just get a refund, or can I trust this seller to send me another one? The price was around 200 dollars, which is in my budget unlike a lot out there. It came in a rubies box, but you experienced people tell me the truth please.

This image is just to show the color difference that I would have to change to match the robes.

stripes
Former DL

Post by stripes »

That does not appear to be. A rubies supreme edition helmet as the dimensions seem off. Also, the price point doesn't match up with known pricing (mine was approx $350 CDN). Not sure where you got it from, but those are some major issues.

rledaman

Post by rledaman »

Got it from Amazon. Its listed as Rubies Supreme Edition Imperial Guard helmet, and thats the box it came in... but everything about it once I received makes me suspicious.

Thats why I aaked your opinion :)

Cybermew3
TKID: 5973

Post by Cybermew3 »

With the bubbles alone I wouldn't want it personally. Hopefully you can get a refund sorted...

TR - 5973 (ROTJ)
Dylan "Norbitt" Saunders
Redback Garrison
2014 - Sovereign Protectors Detachment Command - PR Team
2018 - Sovereign Protectors Detachment Command - COG